PonchoLiner with space blanket

So I have the DIY No-Sew Poncho Liner UQ (PLUQ).

And a space blanket (SB)

Now, the PLUQ is 2/3 length....i.e.... folded the poncho liner in half (and space blanket in half). This combination of PLUQ/SB can get me down to the 40's no problem

Question:
    Would I be served better by changing the PLUQ/SB to a full length UQ???? i.e...don't fold the poncho liner (or space blanket) in half...just use the poncho liner as an UQ with the space blanket in between me and the UQ

Or should I just leave it as before??

My thinking is....the poncho liner folded in half will give some additional insulation, but the SB folded in half doesn't add any additional insulation. So I would be served better by having a full length PLUQ/SB rather than a 2/3...right??

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    I can tell you that you'll have far greater results with the space blanket on the "outside” of the poncho liner. It'll block wind and moisture from passing thru your insulation, thereby making it more efficient.

As far as what size to use, I'd be tempted to use Velcro in a way that would allow you to use it as a 3\4, or fully deployed if needed. For extra insulation, simple slide an automotive windshield reflector in between the space blanket and the poncho liner.

You may also want to consider using a 2P HeetSheet from Adventure Medical. It's larger and does a better job than standard space blankets. So it can be pulled up the sides of the hammock to reflect more interior heat if needed. If it's really cold, I pull the sides of mine halfway up past my hammock liner (Clark's NF Camo) and I can really feel the interior heat being reflected.

Also, as always, make sure you stow your netting. It gathers condensation like crazy, will soak everything and freeze you out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Noob comment so take this with a huge grain of salt....Even though reflective I thought the space blankets still acted as a vapor barrier.

So, if you put this on the "cold" side of the UQ won't you get some wicked condensation?? I did basically the same thing with an undercover in temps around freezing and got soaked.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Noob comment so take this with a huge grain of salt....Even though reflective I thought the space blankets still acted as a vapor barrier.

So, if you put this on the "cold" side of the UQ won't you get some wicked condensation?? I did basically the same thing with an undercover in temps around freezing and got soaked.
    That's my experience as well when putting a vapor barrier on the outside.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Either way, you're better off with the PLUQ doubled. If your legs get cold, use a ccf pad, backpack, reflectix or whatever...

I've successfully added a piece of Insultex to my PLUQ... it was a bit warmer.

The other thing you can do is leave the fold slightly offset so the lower piece of the liner is 1" longer than the inner layer. That might help trap some air and make it a bit warmer.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post

I never had that problem and I've been doing this since the very first Clark's and Hennessey's came out. I also don't use any insulation under the hammock, only the space blanket and that may be why. In fact, the only time I got soaked due to condensation was because my netting was deployed.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    My thoughts would be to put the EB between the hammock and the PL. Wind still won't go through the EB whether it is on the inside or the outside of the PL. I have Warbonnet's 3-Season Yetti with the reflective liner and its setup this same way. If the liner does capture moisture, at least this way it is not in your insulation. I also think alot of it is based on whether you are a cold sleeper or a hot sleeper. Me being a hot sleeper, I give off moisture while I am sleeping.

Maybe a couple of backyard test would help determine which is better for you.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

• + New Posts