Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Senior Member Dave41079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Well Actually, what I did, (ok try and follow me) Was Invert the woopie sling so the adjustable end is connected to a continious loop which is attached to the hammock. Use a Dutch Biner to connect Woopie and Hammock. Larks head the dead eye through the webbing strap. and their ya go.
    This is the same thing I ended up with. I ran the fixed loop on the whoopie through the fixed loop on the tree strap, then ran the end of the whoopie back through it's own fixed loop and pulled tight to create a larks head onto the fixed loop of the tree strap. The adjustable end of the whoopie is attached to a fixed loop off of the hammock with a Dutch biner. Originally I had it set up with a biner ran through the tree strap fixed loop, adjustable whoopie end through the biner, whoopie attached to fixed loop via larkshead, fixed loop attached to hammock. I really do prefer the ability to remove the suspension from the hammock if I want to, and also pulling the whoopie away from the hammock to tighten just feels more...right. The Dutch biners are also a good place to attach things like my poncho/undercover.

  2. #12
    Senior Member JohnSawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    4,696
    Images
    108
    If you really wanted to get fancy, tie your water knot with the amsteel loop in it... Not easily removable, but it would avoid the larkshead.

    Probably won't make much of a difference, though.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda


  3. #13
    Senior Member Highbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    A Scot in Spain
    Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Posts
    236
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    If you really wanted to get fancy, tie your water knot with the amsteel loop in it... Not easily removable, but it would avoid the larkshead.
    Yep I'm thinking that might be the best solution. It allows me to go the 'traditional' way of having the fixed eye of the WS at the hammock and the adjustable eye at the strap rather than inverting it.

  4. #14
    Senior Member JohnSawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    4,696
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    Yep I'm thinking that might be the best solution. It allows me to go the 'traditional' way of having the fixed eye of the WS at the hammock and the adjustable eye at the strap rather than inverting it.
    The only downside to that is it'd be less flexible. In the event that you decided to hang between smaller, closer trees, you'd have to take it apart to make your tree hugger shorter.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda


  5. #15
    Senior Member Highbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    A Scot in Spain
    Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Posts
    236
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    The only downside to that is it'd be less flexible. In the event that you decided to hang between smaller, closer trees, you'd have to take it apart to make your tree hugger shorter.
    Not sure. On each channel of my hammock I have a loop of webbing with a biner. If I were to come across a hang with trees too close I could just hang from the webbing directly to the biner with a marlen spike hitch (with the biner acting as the toggle)

    Saying that I don't know what the minimum length of a WS is so I don't know how often I'd put myself in that situation. My hammock is pretty long at 3.8 m too. Might have to start taking a stepladder into the bush with me (I'm a shortarse) to get good placement of my straps.

  6. #16
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,551
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    This is the same thing I ended up with. I ran the fixed loop on the whoopie through the fixed loop on the tree strap, then ran the end of the whoopie back through it's own fixed loop and pulled tight to create a larks head onto the fixed loop of the tree strap. The adjustable end of the whoopie is attached to a fixed loop off of the hammock with a Dutch biner. Originally I had it set up with a biner ran through the tree strap fixed loop, adjustable whoopie end through the biner, whoopie attached to fixed loop via larkshead, fixed loop attached to hammock. I really do prefer the ability to remove the suspension from the hammock if I want to, and also pulling the whoopie away from the hammock to tighten just feels more...right. The Dutch biners are also a good place to attach things like my poncho/undercover.
    This is my set-up with the exception that the whoopie is permanently sewed into the loop on the tree hugger. The advantage is that the entire wet suspension can be detached at the Dutch Biner and packed separately. Also, one suspension can be quickly swapped between multiple hammocks. I know this would be very benefial to Cannibal

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •