Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Well, this thread inspired me to make my own down beanie. Fleece lined with 1.9oz black ripstop exterior. I made mine in 5 segments and with two horizontal quilt-lines. I used the inversion technique so no edge binding was required. Contains a one-gallon ziplock bag's worth of uncompressed down--I probably should have used more. I've never seen a blackrock in person, but this looks similar to the pictures. It's warm as hell as it is, though (anyone know how much down is in blackrock?). Now that I've got the pattern and techniques down, I could probably crank out another fairly quickly. This one probably took me 6 hours to make. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

  2. #22
    Senior Member dmrichm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    109
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    That beanie and the UQ look great!

    That looks like way more than 8oz of down. That stuff sure fluffed up a bunch, huh?
    Yeah. This is the first time I've worked with down and it truely amazed me how much this 800fp lofted up. I almost went back initially and stuffed the uq with more, but I let it be for a little bit and it really puffed up. Thank you agian for that great down.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    Well, this thread inspired me to make my own down beanie. Fleece lined with 1.9oz black ripstop exterior. I made mine in 5 segments and with two horizontal quilt-lines. I used the inversion technique so no edge binding was required. Contains a one-gallon ziplock bag's worth of uncompressed down--I probably should have used more. I've never seen a blackrock in person, but this looks similar to the pictures. It's warm as hell as it is, though (anyone know how much down is in blackrock?). Now that I've got the pattern and techniques down, I could probably crank out another fairly quickly. This one probably took me 6 hours to make. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.
    Nice! I can't wait for pics.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    Nice! I can't wait for pics.

    Here it is... If I were to make another one I think I would use more down and add a vertical quilt-line on each panel to bring it closer to the appearance of the blackrock...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #24
    Senior Member bigred72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Clinton, Ut
    Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Posts
    131
    Images
    11
    Well done!!!
    Bigred

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    Here it is... If I were to make another one I think I would use more down and add a vertical quilt-line on each panel to bring it closer to the appearance of the blackrock...
    BWT, my beanie weighs in at 45 grams. Only about twice what the blackrock weighs. Using a lighter nylon (1.0oz) would make it a lot lighter.

  6. #26
    Senior Member GaHammockGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    472
    NIIIIIICE!!!!
    I am a bit jealous I must admit. I love the draw-string on the UQ. Does the string run the perimeter of the UQ or just on the head and foot end? I have an UQ that my hiking buddy made. he took a comforter and sewed the nylon on top of that (this equals weight)

    Have you tried to make the UQ out parachute material? This is my next project.

    Well done again on the projects

  7. #27
    mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Posts
    1,393
    I am curious if anybody has integrated an UQ with a hammock to have a one piece unit. It seems possible to account for the sag and use woven insulation such as Climashield. This would eleminate the weight of the fabric for one side of the UQ, make hanging a little quicker and keep things together but it might also open up a new avenue of woes.

  8. #28
    Senior Member dmrichm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    109
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    NIIIIIICE!!!!
    I am a bit jealous I must admit. I love the draw-string on the UQ. Does the string run the perimeter of the UQ or just on the head and foot end? I have an UQ that my hiking buddy made. he took a comforter and sewed the nylon on top of that (this equals weight)

    Have you tried to make the UQ out parachute material? This is my next project.

    Well done again on the projects
    Thank you! I appreciate it. On the underquilt I ran shock cord at both ends (to keep the ends tight against me) and then there are two longer pieces of shock cord that that run the length of my hammock to attach the UQ and keep it under me. I think this set up is pretty common and has worked really well for me.

    For my UQ I used 1.1 calendered ripstop nylon that I purchased from sclittlefield's website: www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com If you are looking for materials I highly suggest checking out his website.

    Also, a great little update.... I tired out my UQ and down hat the other night and stayed nice and warm down to 25* (which exceeded my expectations!!)

  9. #29
    Senior Member dmrichm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    109
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    I am curious if anybody has integrated an UQ with a hammock to have a one piece unit. It seems possible to account for the sag and use woven insulation such as Climashield. This would eleminate the weight of the fabric for one side of the UQ, make hanging a little quicker and keep things together but it might also open up a new avenue of woes.
    I believe this is what you may be looking for:

    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock2.html

  10. #30
    mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    I believe this is what you may be looking for:

    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock2.html
    Thanks dmrichm. From what I can see it looks like the project was not a complete success, but it looks mighty nice and has potential. I wonder if anything beyond those two versions emerged or if it ran into snags.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •