Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    Unless I'm really close or it's a very short project, I work on things that are "out of season". ...

But maybe I'm nuts.

Jbo
    No idea if you are nuts.
    Pretty sure I am.

I'm finding that I have no choice but to work on the next season's gear.
    Don't have the funds to work on deep winter gear right now. Accepted already that I'm hanging indoors until it warms up. Maybe next winter I'll be equipped for cold weather hanging.

I guess I really need to be thinking about what my most likely upcoming trips are, to sort out the urgency and priority of different items on my list. Trying to balance my need/wants with equipping the rest of the family as well. Reality is that my better half and youngest will likely be fair/warm weather hangers, at best. The middle and oldest are more likely to want to hit the woods/trail with me in the shoulder seasons. Have to make sure they are better prepared than I am.

A couple of folks mentioned doing the longest project first.
    I tend to build momentum better if I knock out short projects one after the other. Too easy to get bogged down and/or distracted mid-way through a long project.

I may try the dart approach, if for no other reason than it will keep things interesting.

thanks for all the replies so far.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    ADD means I can work on them all at the same time; ADD also means it doesn't bother me for them to sit around for months before being completed. Roz on the other hand has the other abbreviated disorder, OCD, and it drivers her nuts to see my piles; she completes me...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    That's the problem... too many bugs, not enough... uh... time.
    Insomnia has it's perks
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I prioritize based on two factors: what do I need the soonest for a planned trip? and / or what do I already have the basic materials for? I tend to stockpile extra materials when I buy for a project and then use the extras to build other side projects.

As an example, I was bored yesterday and pulled out some IX that I've had for about 9 months and started work on a 4 layer IX 7/8 length UQ. I have a winter trip or two planned over the next couple months and since I have just about everything I need to build it already on hand I could be impulsive and just dive in... 24 hours later I have about 3 hours work in and am about half done.

Like many of you though I do spend way too much time thinking about / talking about hammocking and gear and too little time making the gear and using it.
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 12-28-2010 at 10:12.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks to Joe Cross and Gville Dave for some concrete suggestions for how to deal with this disability, which is mine also. Thanks to the rest of you (I guess) for the small comfort in knowing that the OP and I do not suffer alone.

I work on items I'm going to need soonest and most urgently, which makes everything that is going to keep me warm at Mt. Rogers high priority. The new hammock design I want to have done by April for the MAHHA hang is crying to be finished, but it will have to wait for February. Having said that, I usually find after each trip that there's some piece of gear that needs improving, replacing or inventing, and there is a great temptation to start work on it immediately. I started my insulated hammock sock project right after last year's Mt. Rogers hang, then put it aside for higher priority projects. When winter arrived it jumped to the top of the list. I finally finished it last week, so now I'm working on other "urgent" projects, but my heart is still with all the digressions, detours, and flashes of inspiration.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I use a queue. Everything is on a prioritized hot list. I take what's on top of the stack and work on it until it's done.

The problem is, some projects don't get on the list.

Whomever said, "Deadline is man's best friend," was correct!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    ADD means I can work on them all at the same time; ADD also means it doesn't bother me for them to sit around for months before being completed. Roz on the other hand has the other abbreviated disorder, OCD, and it drivers her nuts to see my piles; she completes me...
    I'm not surprised to find another ADD sufferer in the HF DIY section. This hobby seems custom made to attract those with ADD. Always some new shiny object to steal my attention.
    My ADD drives my wife nuts more than it does me. Although I think she is getting used to it.
    Thankfully, my OCD tendencies are usually vastly overpowered by ADD, preventing a constant internal tug of war.

Happy to hear that you found the right person, Rat.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I found that for me to finish anything, that I can only start ONE project at a time. I do keep scraps of material from all my projects and will sew up little bags out of them. I'm able to sew up a bag in very little time and will do up one of these when I don't really have the time to spend on the "big" project. Kind of makes me feel like I'm getting something accomplished, even if I know in the back of my mind that the "big" project is still waiting. Right now I really need a winter UQ to fit my BB. I've called the place I normally order down from... and they tell me they used all their down for Christmas orders. I've got to wait. And then I called the place I normally order my ripstop from and all they have are colors like "blaze orange". Not really the stealthy color that I'm looking for. So again, I'm waiting. And sewing little bags...

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    TL, I did a fabric inventory tonight and have enough scraps to make a dozen or so bags but I don't need them so I'm just keeping the scraps.

Jbo

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    for some reason, the phrase "Patchwork' underquilt" leaps into my mind...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast