Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
  1. #11
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    Just so everyone is aware, goosepepper enema posts from the same IP addresses as neo. Goosepepper enema has been banned.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  2. #12
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    I stand corrected.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

  3. #13
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,466
    Images
    353
    I can't speak for every one, but I think my gear carried is about equal to or less than my ground days. My hammock and tarp replaces my tent or tarp, though I suppose a tarp alone would be less. So compared to tarp only, there is a weight penalty for the hammock. But, with my SuperShelter, I get some additional wind and sideways rain/snow protection, making it closer to a tent than a tarp. It might also allow me to go with a lighter tarp than I would with a tarp on the ground.

    But the hammock and/or SuperShelter ( and or PeaPod) also replaces my thick Thermarest pad which my old bones required for cushioning. But even my thick pad is still no match comfort wise for my hammock, I think we we all agree. I carry a light pad for emergency or having to go to ground. ( some brave souls leave the pad out entirely, saving that weight). But I would always carry a much heavier pad if I knew I was going to be sleeping on the ground every night, or in very cold weather and/or on snow. So by using a SS or peapod, I save a lot on the weight of my pad requirements. I could get by with less pad even as a tenter ( and I did when I was younger), but at the price of an uncomfortable night.

    If I take the PeaPod at 20* and above, I would only need a thin 3/4 pad for rarely being forced to ground, and would also save a lot of weight on my top bag/quilt. Again, there are those brave souls who would take the PeaPod without a pad, saving even more weight and bulk. But not me, unless it is a trip where I can easily bail out if things go awry.

    So, there are a lot of trade offs and variables to be considered here. I guess I need to add every thing up, and compare the minimum I would take on the ground compared to what I will take now with hammock gear and see if I'm gaining significant weight. If I am, then I may have to re-think some things. Though I will sacrifice a pound or so in order to be MUCH more comfortable.

    But Neo, we need to remember that anti freeze that runs in your veins! Because I just don't think that most people here are going to be able to do 8* with just a 3/8" ccf pad. I suspect most of them will freeze their butts off attempting that. Maybe 30*, but not 8*. Most folks here are going to need 2 or 3 of those pads to do 8*. I think, y'all chime in if I am wrong. Although, I have done, I believe it was, either 18* or 22* with ans SPE and a full length 5/8" ridgerest and a 3/4 length, 1.75" Thermarest standard self-inflater. I'd have to look up the report for the details. But I was toasty warm, so I guess I could have gone lower. But that was not 8*, and it was way more than 3/8".

    So I think what a lot of folks here really need is a transfusion of your anti freeze blood!

    Also, people vary in their perception of comfort. It's just a fact of life that some folks can not stand the feel of a pad compared to the hammock alone. Or, they have sweat issues. I don't, and apparently you don't, but a lot of folks do. So they are going to go to a lot of trouble and weight and expense to avoid a pad.

    But, if I had to use and pay for TWO UQs for normal winter temps, I sure would try to figure out a way to be happy by augmenting with a pad, but that's just me. BTW, one of the reasons I decided to finally give the PeaPod a try was due to the rave review of a NC friend. He had recently bought a 55* rated 1.5" loft PeaPod. He decided to stick a thermarest pad in there between the pod and hammock. He said that worked great. The pod mostly held the pad in place, but if it did get a little crooked, he could easily reach underneath the hammock and adjust it. So it was about 30*, and he was wrapped up in there with a bag as quilt, and he woke up about 2am burning up. He had to open the 55* rated pod almost wide open in order to avoid overheating. Any way, just a thought about using pads when needed with other systems.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-20-2007 at 13:21.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Redtail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Middletown, MD
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Posts
    334
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Just so everyone is aware, goosepepper enema posts from the same IP addresses as neo. Goosepepper enema has been banned.
    Hopefully something positive will be learned from this.

  5. #15
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,466
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    Neo,

    1. I really don't see why people are getting defensive over this blatant assumption.
    I'm not sure if you are referring to me or someone else, or more than one of us. But hopefully without being defensive , may I ask: was I defensive? If so, I didn't realize it. I thought I was just discussing and giving my opinions.

    Because the fact is: I don't get to take as many trips as I would like, probably for the same reasons as many others here. And also because I am concerned if my hammocking starts adding considerable weight. I want to avoid that. Though let me repeat, without any defense whatsoever, that I am perfectly willing to add a pound or two for the additional comfort hammocking gives me, and for the ability to sleep without a pad as often as possible, simply because I prefer to not use a pad. But, I'd like to keep it ( weight ) to a minimum.

    Though you may have a point about certain "assumptions" being made.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-20-2007 at 13:18.

  6. #16
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Hopefully something positive will be learned from this.
    Sadly, that is not likely to be the case.

    Remember, everyone, do not feed the trolls.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

  7. #17
    Why does it matter who camps/hikes where, when, with whom or with what? Just HYOH. I usually visit this site for good information, guess I'll just have to start using the "mark all forums read" function like I do at WB.

  8. #18
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Hopefully something positive will be learned from this.
    I'll say. goosepepper_enema doesn't know how to to surf anonymously.

    I don't, I've found it rather a bother, at least the freebes. The thought police will come and take me away someday I suppose.

    Grizz

  9. #19
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,466
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    Why does it matter who camps/hikes where, when, with whom or with what? Just HYOH. I usually visit this site for good information, guess I'll just have to start using the "mark all forums read" function like I do at WB.
    It matters not at all. To each his own, whatever works or makes you happy, IMO. Or, as you say, HYOH!

  10. #20
    Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Posts
    4,387
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Hopefully something positive will be learned from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It matters not at all. To each his own, whatever works or makes you happy, IMO. Or, as you say, HYOH!
    Agreed, just hang your own hammock and forget opinions. I learned a long time ago not to worry about things so insignificant.

    Edit: Sorry Redtail, I clicked the wrong thing for multi-quoting.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •