HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just hang it View Post
    So how much would I use for a 3/4 UQ trying to shoot for 30 degree
    Before you go with a synthetic for 30 degrees, think about the following.

When using synthetics for really cold weather, it takes a lot of it which means extra weight, and an awful lot of extra volume. (Need a big backpack). Also, synthetics don't last as long as down, they tend to loose a slight amount of loft each time it is stuffed, which eventually shows up in the long run.

However, if you don't backpack (car camp) the weight and volume are not an issues. And, synthetics are cheaper and easier to make.

Where synthetics really shine is in long distance hiking situations, particularly in humid environments (your PNW). Down will slowly absorb moisture from both the air and your prespiration and eventually collapse to uselessness, whereas, synthetics will loose only some of their ability to insulate. If you are a weekend hiker, this isn't a problem, but if you are out for a week in cloudy weather where you cannot dry out your quilt during the day, synthetics are highly recommended for safety.

I have both. My down quilts are for cool and cold weather, but I'm not a thru-hiker. My synthetic quilt is only one thin layer and is for summer nights that are just cool enough to need something. Quilts this thin, in my opinion, just aren't practical to make with down and, they are so small, the weight & volume disadvantages are negligible.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I get a lot of my supplies from http://www.therainshed.com/ They're really nice, ship quick, and are on the West Coast, so I can call after I get off work here in the east.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    For a summer TQ for temps down to 40 degree's which of the synthetic insulations would you suggest?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    For a summer TQ for temps down to 40 degree's which of the synthetic insulations would you suggest?
    climashield for me! love that stuff for warmer weather!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Climashield (from OWF) is what I made my summer UQ out of. All my winter gear is down. I did make a climashield winter UQ but sold it because I couldn't backpack with it (to heavy and it didn't compress to fit in my backpack). The summer UQ in climashield has worked out exceptionaly well. I've been through some awful storms and constant high humidity and never a problem. I did cover my quilt with DWR ripstop nylon. I used the thinest climashield that OWF sells and used one layer of it for the summer under quilt. I've been able to use it in temps ranging from about 75 - 45 and stayed comfortable. (at the higher temps, I did tie the UQ looser to my hammock). Below 45, for me, I needed to add something more. Like a mylar blanket or a poncho liner. I'm a cold sleeping female. Most males will sleep a bit hotter and probably could use an UQ like this in temps a bit cooler. You'd have to do your own testing to see temps that you'd be comfortable in.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Thanks everyone, I am going to attempt making my first TQ soon. I think that I will also cover my quilt with the ripstop nylon. Is the 3.3 the thinest climashield?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Don't really know about CS in TQs. But I have used a 1 sq.yd layer of 2.5 oz/sq.yd CS(IOW, 2.5 oz of CS) as the only insulation (inside a WB Yeti style torso UQ) and been just fine down into the high 40s. I call it a 50*F UQ. The whole thing counting shell only weighs ~9.5 Oz or so. I'm not sure how much you could beat that using down instead, couldn't be much weight wise.

I just add additional layers for colder temps. I think I had 2 layers on the Sipsey halloween trip ( you were there) when it rained so much, I think the lows were in the low to mid 40s and I was toasty. Total weight ~ 13 oz. I think I have played around with it with 2 layers in the high 30s and it was OK, haven't pushed it further so far. My son used 3 layers to be toasty at 27F.

What has happened at http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php ?

He used to sell Primaloft and Climashield and had good info on temp ratings and CLO. All I see now is 900 FP down?

Hammock
    NANO 7
    Tarp
    4 season pole mod
    Insulation
    DIY down U.Q./T.Q.
    Suspension
    whoopiesdutchhooks
    Images
    thanks for all the great info

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12