Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

other doggie gear

Now someboby better start making little underquilts, top quilts, a ridgeline organizer for nightime snacks....

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    I thought you guys might appreciate it, goofy as it is. Although the dog (Miles) can exit the hammock just fine, he's still apprehensive about getting into it and needs to have it held steady until he lays down.

MrClean417 - He's already treated for ticks and mosquitoes aren't much of a problem for him because of his thick fur, but I can see a bugnet might be needed in some circumstances. We'll see later this spring once the mozzies get rolling.

What exactly do mean about bottom loading? Are you suggesting a Hennessy style entrance might be easier for him, or are you referring to some sort of weight distribution issue?

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    What exactly do mean about bottom loading? Are you suggesting a Hennessy style entrance might be easier for him, or are you referring to some sort of weight distribution issue?
    I'd probably just rely on the tick drops that help repel but there may be severe instances where really bad mosquitos may not get to the dog, but as soon as you get to the dog you'd be covered. was just wondering how bad it could get.

And bottom loading, I was just being plain silly there, though it'd be pretty cool if the dog walked up to the bottom of his hammock and climb in, sealing himself off from all the bugs. Actually, I bet it probably wouldn't be much more to the dog then the doggy door I have in my house. Might have to put a pullout to help him nose in. But I was just being silly originally.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That's awsome. Side/bungee tie outs might make it easier for him to get in and out. I like the Double layer design for the pad!

For a net/entrance, you could always attach a bug net, with one side weighted every 6" or so. Dog could just nose in... If you're dog is that smart...

My daughter's cat won't push open a partially opened door...

RE: Mr Clean's comment on a doggy door: Why not? Add a door to the side with a net flap... if you make a nearly-vertical bug net or fabric wall on one side, a piece of weighted netting would be just like a doggy door! To keep the wall vertical, a 1/8" fiberglass rod about 4' long could be carried like a tent pole (and breaks down in 2-3 pieces) would weigh almost nothing.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii
    I thought you guys might appreciate it, goofy as it is. Although the dog (Miles) can exit the hammock just fine, he's still apprehensive about getting into it and needs to have it held steady until he lays down.
    I'm sure after a day on the trail - when he knows its time that you will be bedding down. He will follow along & appreciate the hammock - even if he needs help getting in - I won't be surprised if he figures it out on his own in no time.

For anyone wanting to make a dog hammock for the house or even car camping - this looks like a simple project. I've seen these in catalogs & stores too. http://crittergeek.com/?p=86

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    For anyone wanting to make a dog hammock for the house or even car camping - this looks like a simple project. I've seen these in catalogs & stores too. http://crittergeek.com/?p=86
    Actually, I've got two of those in the house. One was store bought, one of the local Dog sitting places was selling them and now you can get them at Petsmart. The other was my copy of it. My oldest Beagle goes through spells of Arthritis that make him not capable of jumping up into his favorite recliner. When that happens he sleeps on the puppy bed. Ever since I moved into my sons room, he sleeps on a folded up sleeping bag at the foot of the bed. He doesn't like to be picked up. He's a 15 year old beagle that never has been in that good of shape. He's cranky most of the time. Can NOT pass a trashcan without knocking it over and rummaging through it. But we love him. I don't imagine he'll go much more then 2-3 years longer, probably less.

But all of the dogs and the cats love those beds and with the exception of when we're sleeping, the things are always occupied.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    mosquitoes aren't much of a problem for him because of his thick fur, but I can see a bugnet might be needed in some circumstances. We'll see later this spring once the mozzies get rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    there may be severe instances where really bad mosquitos may not get to the dog, but as soon as you get to the dog you'd be covered. was just wondering how bad it could get.
    Mosquitoes will get his nose bad. My flat coat loves to backpack with me. In the Sierras one year, his entire snout was all lumpy. I felt really bad for him. He would lie down and try to get them off with his leg. I couldn't bring myself to put DEET on him there since I know he can lick most of his nose. In the future, I will try a bandana around his neck with some DEET on it. Unfortunately, that idea didn't occur to me at the time. Since then, we haven't had to deal with a hatch like that one.

At the time, I was using a ridgeline bug net. This trip was the one that convinced me I don't like those. Not only was it hot and stuffy for me, I was trapped in my hammock when I could be doing other tasks, and it didn't help my dog. Now I use net walls that attach to my tarp's perimeter. This was we both have a comfortable area to escape the mossies and maintain both our sanity :P

Mr Clean is also right about the dog attracting a swarm, but at the same time, the dog was another target so they weren't all after me. I thanked him for "taking one for the team"
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Hmmm, what about a bridge with no end-flaps?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    That dog hammock is a great idea, you are a real friend to do that for him.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast