Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Weird, this one showed 10F and my thermometer recorded the 13F reading. It shows as the 22nd now, but it was morning data yesterday (I'm up way too late tonight). I don't put a lot of faith in that thermometer because it's super cheap so it could be way off. The hands came out of the gloves sometime after sun-up. I was actually pretty warm when I heard pops walking around in the snow.
    There are about half a dozen recording stations within 15 miles of me that show up on weatherunderground. The variance in temperatures reported is significant, 5 degrees is not uncommon. Micro-weather or something I suppose.

The larger picture is that you slept through a night that (except for wind and humidity ) is about as cold as you're likely to see on the AT in March, and were comfortable.

I'm a bit envious, forecast for night-time lows around here are in the upper 20's for the next week and a half.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The humidity
    Grizz
    That's the one thing I'm worried about at this point. That moisture can have a pretty dramatic effect on the 'feels like' temps. I always tell people that it isn't nearly as cold in Colorado as the temps say it is; it feels warmer.

21F last night and I was very comfy. I don't remember waking-up once until those **** squirrels (really fat ones too!) came down for breakfast in the morning.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    cannibal, glad you were as warm as i was at those temps, i'm also stoked about the sil shell causing zero condensation for a warm sleeper, hopefully you will experience similar results in the apps. i have used it in cold temps with humidity in the 70's or 80's i think, so i'm hoping it will be fine in those conditions for you too. funny, it seemed the double barrell toggle was strong enough. you could just tie those little cords together with a un-tieable knot and toss the toggle if you wanted, also you could try that posigrip toggle i sent (rectangular one) they are stronger.

as for the questions about my stuff, the dealings with hennessy are over for now, i will concentrate on getting my site up right now, i have talked to a us manufacturer about making my stuff, and hopefully that will work out. i would like to have a symmetric version of the eldorado if i can get such a thing to sleep well. as for the uq, it is not infringeing on anything, although it is asym. it is one of the items i am hoping to have on the website. it does work with eno style haab hammocks, the only ones i've tried it with are 60" or so wide and it worked fine, cannibal mentioned using it with the trecklight double which i have not tried.

the uq without the sil shell or stuff sac should weigh around 16 oz with all 4 layers of insulation in place, the individual layers of 2.5 xp weigh about 3 oz each, and you have the option of using 1,2,3,or 4 layers depending on the season, so in summer a 6-7 oz uq is possible, depending on how warm one can go with a single layer of 2.5 xp.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like the sil shell hangs down away from the bottom of the underquilt, too - that gives it another gap of dead air space to help protect the underquilt from convection.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Weird, this one showed 10F and my thermometer recorded the 13F reading. It shows as the 22nd now, but it was morning data yesterday (I'm up way too late tonight). I don't put a lot of faith in that thermometer because it's super cheap so it could be way off. The hands came out of the gloves sometime after sun-up. I was actually pretty warm when I heard pops walking around in the snow.
    Exactly which night were you hanging? For Aurora on the day of the 22nd, it shows low of 8*. For the 23rd, it shows 17*. Of course, in CO, there may be significant elevation dif between your hang spot and the weather station referenced. 1000 ft would average 5* dif on a clear night, about 3* with precipitation. 500 ft would be about half of that, all assuming no temp "inversions". You can get 500 ft dif out there by going across town. ( BTW, I used to live in Pueblo for a couple of years long ago, not far from where you are)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-24-2007 at 12:48.

wow, i really cant wait. please make sure to have lots of pictures. lots.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Would that underquilt fit a bridge hammock like my JRB?
    Here's some of my bridge dimensions:
    Widest point on the end is about 45"
    Middle of hammock is about 35.5"
    Those are laid out flat on the ground numbers.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 12-24-2007 at 15:44.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Holy Crap it's cold!

Wow! I found the limits of my current set-up last night. Here is the link to the weather station closest to my Pop's house. I woke-up just before 6:00am cold; I wasn't shivering, but it wasn't far off. I slept fine the rest of the night, but apparently -5F is my limit. If I put my face out of my bag, every time I'd breathe I could count to about 7 and I'd feel 'snow' falling on my face. I guess the moisture in my breath would freeze and fall back down.

Since my RMS is waiting for me in Florida (don't know why Pops sent it there instead of here) I am still using an old Coleman bag. I wasn't really feeling a lot of cold from underneath so I think this Warbonnet UQ could go a few degrees colder, but not with that Coleman bag on top!

Off to make some hot cocoa; wonder where they hid the peppermint schnapps?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Would that underquilt fit a bridge hammock like my JRB?
    Here's some of my bridge dimensions:
    Widest point on the end is about 45"
    Middle of hammock is about 35.5"
    Those are laid out flat on the ground numbers.
    Maybe, but probably not ideal. It is cut to be used by somebody sleeping aysm, but I suspect it would still snug up tight. There would just be extra quilt on one side (left) of you.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Wow! I found the limits of my current set-up last night. Here is the link to the weather station closest to my Pop's house. I woke-up just before 6:00am cold; I wasn't shivering, but it wasn't far off. I slept fine the rest of the night, but apparently -5F is my limit. If I put my face out of my bag, every time I'd breathe I could count to about 7 and I'd feel 'snow' falling on my face. I guess the moisture in my breath would freeze and fall back down.

Since my RMS is waiting for me in Florida (don't know why Pops sent it there instead of here) I am still using an old Coleman bag. I wasn't really feeling a lot of cold from underneath so I think this Warbonnet UQ could go a few degrees colder, but not with that Coleman bag on top!

Off to make some hot cocoa; wonder where they hid the peppermint schnapps?
    I'd say that if your 1/2 UQ, whatever you had under your legs, and an old Coleman got you to zero, you're doing mighty well. A hammock sock would have let you comfortably breathe outside the bag ('cause you KNOW breathing inside the bag is asking for a world of hurt when next you try to get warm in a bag that's wet with your breathing condensation!). And heavy duty quilt upstairs...

In the BSA there's an award for those intreped (or foolish) enough to sleep outside below zero F. The Zero Hero. As a multi-decorated Zero Hero Idiot I hereby award you an virtual Honorary Zero Hero award (if you were never a boy scout) or virtual Real Thing Zero Hero award if you were a boy scout. URL to virtual award that you can pin on your web page is in the email.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast