Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water filter Mod for going light

A while back the three of us were supposed to "hike" into the spot. Well we didn't get our ducks in a row so we ended up car-camping.

Which was fine because my loaded pack weighed 40lb.

Since then I have bought a lighter pack that weighs two pounds lighter than my original pack.
    And I am constantly learning techniques and some pound-saving tips to apply to my own pack.

First off I am going to start taking these Gatorade bottles instead of the Nalgene Water Bottles

Nalgene weighs 5 1/4oz
    Gatorade weighs 1 3/4oz
    savings of 3 1/2oz

In my water filter bag I have an attachment for the Nalgene:

and it weighs 1 5/8oz

Since it is hard to fill the Gatorade bottle because I have to hold it so the tube wont fall out and or spill the water, I use the Nalgene because of the adapter.

Hmmmmmmm..... why not make an adapter for the Gatorade bottle?
    So I did:

the Nalgene adtapter weighs 1 5/8oz
    The Gatorade adapter weighs 0 1/8oz
    this is a savings of 1 1/2oz

Over all savings is:

3 1/2
    + 1 1/2
    Total savings 5oz

not to mention the space that I saved in the water filter bag.

Sorry about the pics being in a row... I am unable to figure out how to insert the pics withing the text.

I hope you can see the flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Simple, effective, lighter.... nuttin' wrong there!

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    Interesting!

I've been somewhat confused over the years of certain types of plastics used for water storage and stuff. I've always been told not to "re-use" plastic water bottles, i.e. deer park/dasani/gaterade etc b/c over time that type of plastic breaks down and emits into the water it's holding. Nalgene (non-bpa models mind you) are supposed to be safer because HDPE and the other new bpa-free compound down break down like that. I see Shug rockin' the dasani bottle on almost every trip out b/c it fits nicely in the Ohm's side pockets (which I concur that it does). I'm indifferent so I usually just use a cycling style sports bottle although I really like the 32oz capacity of the standard nalgene and the wide mouth style for filling. Sorry for the diversion...I'm just ramblin'. I like to see what others are doing for water storage b/c generally, I don't like dealing with water bladders.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Awesome adapter.

Also, If you use an MSR Hyperflow, you can take the nalgene attachment off of the end and a SmartWater bottle fits perfectly into the circular recess to shave some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTiles View Post
    Interesting!

I've been somewhat confused over the years of certain types of plastics used for water storage and stuff. I've always been told not to "re-use" plastic water bottles, i.e. deer park/dasani/gaterade etc b/c over time that type of plastic breaks down and emits into the water it's holding. Nalgene (non-bpa models mind you) are supposed to be safer because HDPE and the other new bpa-free compound down break down like that. I see Shug rockin' the dasani bottle on almost every trip out b/c it fits nicely in the Ohm's side pockets (which I concur that it does). I'm indifferent so I usually just use a cycling style sports bottle although I really like the 32oz capacity of the standard nalgene and the wide mouth style for filling. Sorry for the diversion...I'm just ramblin'. I like to see what others are doing for water storage b/c generally, I don't like dealing with water bladders.

It has been my understanding that this is TRUE, however the amounts are so minute that our body purges our system of them and you have to drink thousands of gallons each day to really get sick...

Some might say that the statistic is being blown out of proportion by the aluminum bottle manufacturers to sell more aluminum bottles.

Hmmmmm......

But on a 3-5 nighter, I am more worried about the pathogens in the water than the chemicals from the plastic bottle.

Maybe a scientist here can shed more light on the subject.....
    any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    Simple, effective, lighter.... nuttin' wrong there!
    Thanks Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles7278 View Post
    Awesome adapter.

Also, If you use an MSR Hyperflow, you can take the nalgene attachment off of the end and a SmartWater bottle fits perfectly into the circular recess to shave some weight.
    Thanks Jmiles. Good to know

Hammock
    12 foot DIY or WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool...isn't it great when you come up with a simple solution for a problem? So easy....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Very nice. Like a homemade version of the SmarTube. You gotta love this forum for all the cool innovative ways members think outside the tent.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; down bag
    A word to the wise. Next time you go out with new Gatorade bottles make sure your adapter cap still fits. I had done the same thing several years ago. On the last trip I got some more Gatorade and found that my old cap did not fit the new bottles.