Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images

Black Mamba Wide TQs v. GoLite Ultra 20 Width

I have been eyeing the new WB Black Mamba Wide quilts for the last 2 months or so and only the strongest of willpower has prevented me from hitting the Submit button on my PayPal account to get one.

The primary concern that I have and keep going back to, is how wide they actually are. I have the older GoLite Ultra 20 that I use for 3-season and I can get it down to about 25-30 with no major issues. I'm curious as to other's experiences with the width and how they compare. I'm a side sleeper with very wide shoulders so the width of the quilt and it's coverage is pretty important to me. So far it's seemed that the Ultra 20 is the widest quilt out there. Thanks!

Images
    The Mamba LONG is 55" wide, reg. = 48" wide.

My Golight (L) is ~56.5" wide at the wide point.

JRB Sierra Snivler = 52" wide

JRB Mt.Rogers/Katahdin = 61" wide
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-13-2011 at 15:05.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    M50 Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    Images
    I just measured my 3s long/wide at 53" at the widest point fully lofted. It is definitely a wide quilt. I did get a bit of overstuff so that could influence actual width of the quilt. I'm a 44" shoulder width but it could easily take on a bigger guy in a hammock. I just got the wide because I like long bags and I wanted a good multipurpose ground/hammock quilt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Triptease, I have the new Large/Wide Mamba and just measured. It's widest right about where your chest meets the abdomen, narrowing down to ~42" at the very top (not flared but rounded like a wine glass). I got it because of height more so than width. If you're shorter than 6' this may be perfect for you.

No experiece with the go-lite
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Width is better understood in the contex of shape...For example a 54 inch wide quilt that tapers in standard manner, ie straight line to 42 inch bottom, is only 48 inches at the hip... And the 54 is often at the very top, dropping 10 inches to the shoulder width it is only 52/53...

The JRB Sierra Snivellers are 52 wide all the way through and passed the hip, then taper to 42...

Additionally, considering that there is extra width in the JRB Sierra Sniveller patterns to allow for the full loft at the very edge, for those who pull them from edge to edge to measure they are actually 53+

Scroll down for Sierra Sniveller details ...
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Large/Wide Black Mamba Photo

Triptease,

Here's a pic of the Large/Wide Mamba fully open. One thing I was pleasantly surprised with right out of the box was how quickly it gets wide right out of the footbox and stays that way until it tapers down to the neck.

I should have thought of this with the earlier reply, the taper shouldn't affect the coverage on your shoulders, it merely facilitates being able to utilize the drawcord to snug the top around your neck. I really like the function of the drawcord. The ties at the back work to further maitain a snug fit around the nec. Works great.

If any doubt remains I'm sure if you gave Brandon some shoulder measurements he'd be able to tell you more about the coverage. I'm pretty average in the shoulders (size 42), and this much wider than I need, but actually thrilled with that as I can go to ground with it, and am doing just that this weekend.

Stormcrow can customize a large to make it wider. Here's why I didn't go that route. I wanted a sewn footbox. Stormcrow charges additional money to do that. The same is true to customize the large into a wider version. Bottomline, it was going to cost $300+ to do what Brandon already offers for $250, with great workmanship (and I went over every detail). Not intending this to sound like a commercial.

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Images
    the mamba XL(long/wide) is shaped, it starts out 45" at the head, out to 57" in the elbows/waist (where it's needed), and then tapers again toward the footbox. those are the raw measurements, the quilt shrinks a couple inches when filled. filled width is around the 55" (56" if i'm pulling on it). it's hard to measure the length of a quilt once filled, but i feel like 55" is accurate (just measured one).

don't think anybody ever complains about their shoulders popping out of anybody's quilt. the complaint of a quilt not being wide enough is generally a problem of the quilt not staying tucked along your sides, and especially if you try to lay fetal, some may need extra width through the hips and chest than a standard sized hammock quilt.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-14-2011 at 15:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the mamba XL(long/wide) is shaped, it starts out 45" at the head, out to 57" in the elbows/waist (where it's needed), and then tapers again toward the footbox. those are the raw measurements, the quilt shrinks a couple inches when filled. filled width is around the 55" (56" if i'm pulling on it). it's hard to measure the length of a quilt once filled, but i feel like 55" is accurate (just measured one).

don't think anybody ever complains about their shoulders popping out of anybody's quilt. the complaint of a quilt not being wide enough is generally a problem of the quilt not staying tucked along your sides, and especially if you try to lay fetal, some may need extra width through the hips and chest than a standard sized hammock quilt.
    That's basically been my problem. I have very wide shoulders (wear a 56 tall jacket) and sleep fetal so the problem that I have is when laying fetal and having it come untucked. I don't mind souvh in 3s but don't want it during winter. Whatever I get I want toak sure it stays tucked.

• + New Posts