SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    splkbuk - That camo bag sure is down low. I've been watching for some "motor guard" bags myself, for those days when you may want to take a little more! My pic is not my most recent. I have rear racks with Wolfman soft bags. Haven't been on a trip big enough to fill them up yet!
    I am a member on several motorcyle forums, but thought i would start a thread here among bike hangers.

Its a beautiful morning here in Nova Scotia, sunny, no wind and about 5F. Yet here i sit drinking coffee. Its my week off, think i will start with a hike this afternoon and maybe put out a few geocaches. Tnx for the replies all.
    The camo bags are molle (I think) sustainment pouches from Sportsman's Guide(in my case). Just right size and attach stable and secure with a little ingenuity (read there is nothing paracord can't fix)...3 days worth of food and more in one easy. Usually carry chain lube, tools and miscellaneous in the other. Can overload them if not careful and the bike will handle a little funny. But I use them for exactly what you said...extras. I don't always pack like that but when going to a close home base camp and riding loops, I end up taking way more than I really need.

How do you like the Wolfman bags? I'm considering them for my next bike.
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Good advice Law Dog, Backpacking gear will allow you to have what you need without being loaded down. But I have noted that motorcycle riders have to have REAL coffee. So instead of taking the instant stuff. I take a coffee press or coffee pot with a stove stuffed down inside it.
    Like the backpackers, we must decide between survival and luxury. Just not as urgent weight wise. I drink tea so the morning cup is simple. We have tried everything from drip to coffee bags for my bride. Starbucks has some packets of instant coffee syrup that many like. I would make room for the press if gourmet coffee was wanted though. Good call cakes!

I have a DS/Adventure Tourer (look left to see it in its virgin state) and the main thing is to go as minimal as possible just for weight and simplicity sake. Luxury is also a need in the hammock as my titanuim knees don't like ground camping at all. I also am working toward most luggage/weight to be carried as low as reasonable. Frankly some rigs I see y'all use are scary (not you Idcakes) as in too many items to get snagged in wheels and chains and center of gravity too high as well. Spend the money (after research) and get luggage designed for your bike.

I have Happy Trails side cases with a BMW tank bag. The plan is to add two Kreiga US 10s to my crash bars and Peg Packer (fuel containers) to the rear passenger pegs. Probably a dry bag for the rear seat. The Kreiga bags will hold hammock related gear and clothing. Tank bag for need it now stuff (camera etc). The side cases for all else. The dry bag for first aid road trouble kit (need it now tools etc). The Peg Packer will add two one or two gallon containers for fuel...I will use the one gallon ones.

My moto packing rule is to lay out all you want to take and then put half of it back. Sometimes this needs to be done twice.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    My moto packing rule is to lay out all you want to take and then put half of it back. Sometimes this needs to be done twice.
    Put back in the trailer, right?
    From Somewhere near Parkville, Mo
    William Crane
    aka MrClean
    Everything you need to know about Hammocks in vids and reading:
    Hammock in 3 minutes D. Hansen - It really is this easy to make a hammock
    Shug's Hammock Newbies videos - Takes you buy the hand and shows you in video
    The Ultimate Hang D. Hansen - now read about everything
    JustJeff's Hammock tutorial - more reference
    TableclothFactoryBlanks - shorter lengths available on sidebar
    The TurtleDog Stand thread - Hang anywhere.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Put back in the trailer, right?
    Ewwwwwaaa, trailer!? When it comes time a trailer is needed...well, I will sell the bike first.

Unless you were talkin' 'bout my Redneck mobile home trailer.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps
    Images
    My biggest improvement was getting an underquilt which stuffs down into a tiny sack vs toting around the big blue foam pad.

Now I have 5 small bags and it all weighs nothing. Most of my heavy stuff - food, tools, goes in my saddlebags. I have a big dry duffel that I put cloths, hammock, etc. in.

1) Hammock (SBPro)
    2) Tarp
    3) ropes,straps, etc
    4) UQ
    5) Sleeping bag

If it's wet I have a bungie net and everything goes under that to dry out (or if it's still raining, everything wet goes in it's own bag.

Watch for nylon gear (hammock, bags, etc) and hot engine parts!!

Thinking about adding another tarp to the mix for raining days to cover picnic bench, seating area, bike.

Jim

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    splkbuk - I haven't really stuffed them yet. Only used for day fishing trips, and not really needed. Just wanted to have them on to try.

A buddy of mine had some on his 05' KLR. It looked like what i wanted to do. But i didn't want to pay a lot of money for the Wolfman racks. Had some made locally. Price was very near half. So i then sent for the bags. After my very first trip i noticed that the right-hand bag was really hot to the touch. I think i was lucky i didn't burn it. Cut out a 3/16' piece of aluminum to fit on the inside of the rack on the muffler side. Now its just fine. The guy that made me the racks had only Wolfman pics to go by. Whether he made them to close in to the body (read muffler) or to far ahead or back i don't know.
    PERHAPS the Wolfman racks wouldn't have had this problem. Something to watch out for. I think they are going to work out just fine.

Might i suggest that if you belong to ADVrider or KLR650.net that you ask if someone in your area has them. Have a look up close, then decide. Its a fair chunk of change to commit. Especially with the Wolfman racks.
    Last edited by easyriver; 01-17-2011 at 15:16. Reason: edit

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    My biggest improvement was getting an underquilt which stuffs down into a tiny sack vs toting around the big blue foam pad.

....<snip>....

Thinking about adding another tarp to the mix for raining days to cover picnic bench, seating area, bike.

Jim
    I now have 2 DD Hammocks XL tarps and it seem at 4.5m x 3m each I can cover half of Texas! Definitely enough to cover my DD Hammock and my VW Trike.
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    It will be obvious I was bored.

I have just bought (4500 miles since Sept 30th) both a new touring bike 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic TriGlide and am new to hammocking. But will be getting my first test outside my backyard at the 1st Annual Florida Hang in the Ocala National Forest at Buck Lake Recreational Area this coming weekend Jan 21-24 and I am so looking forward to it. (This will be a car camping experience, not on my bike)

I am very fortunate in that I have plenty of room for everything I need for a long trip and weight up to 150 lbs of gear will be acceptable. But by no means will it be near that much.

I can pack 5 days worth of clothing and all my personal items in my Saddleman 3400 http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...oducts_id=7299 on the passenger seat as it also provides a built in backrest pad.

On the luggage rack of the tour-pak I will put my Saddleman 3300DE http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...oducts_id=7090
    This will take care of all personal items I will need to include my readily accessable rain gear in the top if the bag.

Then I have the tour-pak for leathers and misc items. Now we come to the boot/ trunk where I will have spare shoes, spare helmet, pocket rocket stove, messkit and my Nelson-Riggs cover http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-De...id=1295296579&

And now for my camping gear I have a RIVCO 18"x30" aluminum carrier http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=397&page=1

On the carrier I will use a North Face Base Camp Duffel Bag (waterproof)
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...mp-duffel.html

Inside this bag I will use (2) Mil Issue 9 strap Stuff sacks.
    One will hold my SleepCell 40 X 90 in. Mummy Sleeping Bag http://www.mysears.com/Cellcorp-40-X...ws?tab=details and my KAQ New River UQ.

This bag is subject to change once I see what I really need:
    In the other stuff sack I will have my Coleman +40 Sleeping Bag http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-White-.../dp/B00363X1IG along with my SnugPak Softie Hawk 9 that I can use as a TQ if needed http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?Men...107&ItemID=229

It’s a snug fit for both stuff sacks end to end, but they do fit. Also the Base Camp bag will hold both my HH Explorer w/Hex Fly and HH Expedition along with suspension, a small 4'x6' ground tarp and other small items I might need and use. And the finishing touch is a nice folding camp chair.

Would like to provide a travel ready photo, but at this point I have not packed for a trip on the bike. That will come hopefully soon after I get my feet wet in Ocala. I am hoping I can pester Chuck and ldcakes for some motorcycle camping info while they are in Ocala and hopefully a hang will be put together in North Carolina as has been discussed in another thread.
    So is Spring here yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sunny's_Trike; 01-17-2011 at 21:24.

Hammock
    UL Darien
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    dutch/whoopie
    Images
    I'm servicing the two wheeler right now and I will be heading that way in the am. I'm doing two slip the ride up and roll into town on Friday am. yes in deed. I tell my friends just because I like going real fast means ill get them quickly there are roads to turn down and people to chat with. what can I say? I like getting lost. I post some travel pics. any suggestions on some nice hanging places on gulf coast ?

Hammock
    UL Darien
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    dutch/whoopie
    Images
    Talk to me fellow campers!! I'm packed for Floridas 1st hang, yeah!! I'm pumped. Two factory bags full and I picked up a bigger dry bag today, more stuff to bring ha ha . See some of you there. I haven't figured out how to load pics sorry