HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Motorcycle camping

Just got my first hammock (HH) in the mail the other day. Am looking forward to my first summer of "hanging". I'm riding a DualSport (KLR650)and hope to be able to camp just about anywhere I want. I see me doing a lot of this on my own, just me, Blue Girl, and my fly rod. I would love to hear your tips, suggestions, do's and don'ts, personal experiences, or anything else, including pics.
    TIA

IS SPRING HERE YET????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Oh am I ever looking forward to reading the replies to this thread! I've been moto camping for years but the best advice I can give you is use backpacking gear. We have the luxury of carrying more weight but space limits that. You will have to sort out what luggage you want to use etc (if you have not already) as what works for me may not for you. Oh and ground camping is for masochists and folks who lack imagination or routing skills...hammocks rule!
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Rewatch Then Came Bronson and make a note to not do anything Bronson does.

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Invest in some good mocycle luggage...stable. Now the question is soft- or hard-side. Really a matter of personal preference. Good arguments both ways.

And for goodness sake don't pack like I do ...
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    UL Darien
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    dutch/whoopie
    Images
    Yippee I've had some enjoyable times on my vfr, hard factory bags turned out to do the trickane one waterproof bag strapped on the seat. Using a hammock made more room for.things like my French press and solar battery charger. I traveled 11000 miles last year in eight months and I'm getting ready to go to the florida hang this week. It's great fun

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have been ATV camping about 25 years. The amount of gear you can carry is somewhat limited, but you will be surprised what can be carried if properly packed and strapped down. After a few trips, you will dump some gear you probaly never used anyway. Invest in some good tie down straps. Get about 3 sizes and several. You can get the Good rubber ones at most truck stops. Just take in consideration that a load will make the machine handle different. I just picked up this BMW a few days ago. After I perform a complete servicing and some ride time, headin out for a solo Hammock camping trip...wherever the road takes me. I can do a lot with a small backpack and gear in the saddlebags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    ENO-HH-Gatherd
    Tarp
    http://www.hammock
    Suspension
    Rings-webbing
    Just in case you are unaware of the site. ADVrider.com is a wealth of knowledge and equipment reviews, ride reports, etc….. for the dual sport and sport touring motorcyclist.
    BTW I will only hammock or tarp camp anymore. No need for a tent.
    Start small around your area, an over nighter or two. You'll find out what you need and what you dont.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
    01 R1
    01 CBR929
    08DRZSM
    07BMW F650GS
    92 DR650 24-7 365
    03 KTM 450EXC

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    splkbuk - That camo bag sure is down low. I've been watching for some "motor guard" bags myself, for those days when you may want to take a little more! My pic is not my most recent. I have rear racks with Wolfman soft bags. Haven't been on a trip big enough to fill them up yet!
    I am a member on several motorcyle forums, but thought i would start a thread here among bike hangers.

Its a beautiful morning here in Nova Scotia, sunny, no wind and about 5F. Yet here i sit drinking coffee. Its my week off, think i will start with a hike this afternoon and maybe put out a few geocaches. Tnx for the replies all.
    Last edited by easyriver; 01-17-2011 at 07:54. Reason: edit

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    the best advice I can give you is use backpacking gear. We have the luxury of carrying more weight but space limits that.
    Good advice Law Dog, Backpacking gear will allow you to have what you need without being loaded down. But I have noted that motorcycle riders have to have REAL coffee. So instead of taking the instant stuff. I take a coffee press or coffee pot with a stove stuffed down inside it.
    Good motorcycle luggage will help you pack it in a well balanced way. And put things in dry bags or at the very least zip-lock bags that you don't want to get wet! Even the best luggage can sometimes leak with geforce and driving rain.
    I also have one of those net bungee things that's handy for a dry bag that can be strapped on the seat.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Hammock
    LOTS
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!!
    google ROK straps. They are without a doubt the best way to tie down your gear. I'm just starting to get some UL gear now. After attending a couple of hangs from this site I learned alot about what to buy and how to pack compact.