Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: TYVEK Tarps....

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Seymour IN
    Hammock
    One given to me by Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's tarp
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Posts
    407

    TYVEK Tarps....

    I am in need of a new light weight tarp, And i want to make one.....I understand the Tyvek is pretty good stuff, what do you think?

    Understand I am hiking on a budget and purchasing a top of the line tarp is out of the question....Unless someone on here would see it in their heart to give it to me lol.......

    Anyway....what do you think...

    Jerry

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shreveport, LA.
    Posts
    55

    tyvek

    Ear Plugs

  3. #3
    Senior Member Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Moncton NB
    Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    Posts
    141
    I think what cypress means that it is noisy ...If you can handle the noise than its o.k I'm experimenting with tyvek as well and I don't find it that bad it all depends on the person.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,650
    Tyvek should work fine for tarps, though apparently grommets might not be the best idea. Tyvek will soften up with use so over time I doubt you will really have problems with noise. If memory serves, there is a cottage industry in Australia or NZ (?) that sells tyvek tarps. (found it: http://www.terrarosagear.com -- will make with tyvek or silnylon)

    Here is a HF article by none other than Headchange4U that may get you started in the right direction. Search Tyvek tarp on BPL and there are several threads there as well. Heck, search "Tyvek tarp" here and you get a few hits (33 to be precise)!

    The definitive tyvek article, part 1--HC4U
    The definitive tyvek article, part 2--HC4U

    Heres a recent DIY from our own Packeagle: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=tyvek+tarp

    I love search engines. They make me seem so helpful...
    Last edited by BER; 01-21-2011 at 20:30.

  5. #5
    Senior Member HitchHiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Posts
    445
    Images
    18
    Hi BER,
    Yeah thats me in Australia.



    I use 1443r tyvek which is lighter then the homewrap stuff. Its is not noisy and the sounds that some from it are just the material in the wind sounds. Same with sil etc.

    Youll have a good time making a Tyvek tarp. Its pretty fun to work with and is not as slippery as Sil.

    As for grommets VS. Webbing- I have gone with the webbing as its a nicer look and still and has great strength.

    When I used grommet they started to rust and degrade which then discoloured the tarp which isnt a huge issue but but white Tyvek with reddish brown streaks all over wasnt the look I was going for

    Evan
    www.terrarosagear.com

    Australian made tarps and custom gear.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lewisburg KY
    Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Posts
    472
    you can wash the tyvek in a washing machine - no soap- to soften it and make it less noisy, less slippery. It does make it more prone to pick up leaves, grasses, as the fibers soften.

  7. #7
    Have used Tyvek as a tarp, but not personnally over a hammock.

    Yes, you do have to wash it, without soap/softener, in an upright washer (or front loader with some sort of agitating objects such as full water bottles) and at least 3 times. Otherwise, the noise will kill you!

    No grommets- they can be ripped out by hand (did that test myself....intentionally).

    I used a pebble on the bottom surface, pushed up through the tyvek and then put a slip knot around the tyvek/pebble bundle as an attachment point. This will likely lead to a deformity in the tyvek...but who cares, it's cheap tyvek and you can use the same spot over and over again. I could not rip that attachment point out.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shreveport, LA.
    Posts
    55

    Tyvek

    WOW, I was not aware of the " Wash to Soften" thing.

    Perhaps I should take back my tongue in cheek statement about the noise.

    I used tyvek for a sail one time and the noise was awful.

  9. #9
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    782
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    I am in need of a new light weight tarp, And i want to make one.....I understand the Tyvek is pretty good stuff, what do you think?

    Understand I am hiking on a budget and purchasing a top of the line tarp is out of the question....Unless someone on here would see it in their heart to give it to me lol.......

    Anyway....what do you think...

    Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchHiking View Post
    Hi BER,
    Yeah thats me in Australia.



    I use 1443r tyvek which is lighter then the homewrap stuff. Its is not noisy and the sounds that some from it are just the material in the wind sounds. Same with sil etc.

    Youll have a good time making a Tyvek tarp. Its pretty fun to work with and is not as slippery as Sil.

    As for grommets VS. Webbing- I have gone with the webbing as its a nicer look and still and has great strength.

    When I used grommet they started to rust and degrade which then discoloured the tarp which isnt a huge issue but but white Tyvek with reddish brown streaks all over wasnt the look I was going for

    Evan
    Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    Have used Tyvek as a tarp, but not personnally over a hammock.

    Yes, you do have to wash it, without soap/softener, in an upright washer (or front loader with some sort of agitating objects such as full water bottles) and at least 3 times. Otherwise, the noise will kill you!

    No grommets- they can be ripped out by hand (did that test myself....intentionally).

    I used a pebble on the bottom surface, pushed up through the tyvek and then put a slip knot around the tyvek/pebble bundle as an attachment point. This will likely lead to a deformity in the tyvek...but who cares, it's cheap tyvek and you can use the same spot over and over again. I could not rip that attachment point out.

    This should simplify making a Tyvek tarp...being able to buy it in 9-12 wide ..it's easy to make a seamless tarp...the hardest obstacle is attaching tie-off points...so here's a light piece ..that's inexpensive...and would give you unlimited configuration possibilities...

    http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Su..._Grommets.html

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchHiking View Post
    Hi BER,
    Yeah thats me in Australia.

    Evan
    Evan, nice looking tarps.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •