Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    About 27 ABOVE is my coldest so far.

Let me say, you deep cold hangers truly have my respect!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    No winter hanging season would be complete without bring this thread back to the top of the list.
    This might not be one of the best years for cold hanging records but it a fun read anyway.

And what winter season would be complete without watching the first winter trip report video on HF by turk.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ils&videoid=17
    Yes, terrible year for pushing the limits so far!

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not even close to the records here, but I have a new personal low that happens to coincide with the rest of the Florida (and Tennessee!) folks for the Florida Hang: 21 F, according to JPsax, in this post.

That's cold to us peninsula folks! My toes didn't warm up until a good hour after dawn (though that's more my own fault for improper gear than anything else; I was planning for mid-thirties as the low).

My hat is off to you folks who do real cold weather hanging. -47 F is insane to me, but getting out there and seeing is half the fun with this stuff! Just get on out into the woods (or the tundra, or...).
    That IS cold for you guys. I am about 8 hours north of you and we have not got that low yet, and have only maybe 4 or 5 days in the low 20s. The warmest winter here I can remember, following two pretty cold and snowy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I did negative 21*F this past weekend.
    Well, sounds like at least some one is starting to get serious! At last something well below zero. What were you using to keep warm?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That IS cold for you guys. I am about 8 hours north of you and we have not got that low yet, and have only maybe 4 or 5 days in the low 20s. The warmest winter here I can remember, following two pretty cold and snowy ones.
    Yeah, it is. On the other hand, we virtually never have to worry about moisture at temperatures below 40 F or so. It just doesn't happen down here in FL, and that makes a huge difference in perceived warmth and insulation effectiveness. I was able to get by (not warm, but not in danger of freezing to death, either) with the following:

Clothing: 40-gram Thinsulate watch cap, lightweight Minus 33 merino longsleeve base layer, Patagonia expedition weight capilene fleece longsleeve, homemade fleece Wristies, synthetic compression boxer/brief underwear, synthetic running shorts, heavyweight nylon sweatpants, and SmartWool Hiker merino socks.

Top Insulation: Poncho liner and thin WallyWorld fleece throw (~40" x 60").

Bottom Insulation: Sew-em-up PLUQ with a layer of InsulBright added.

Supplementary Materials: Hot water Nalgene with two cups of water in a fleece cozy.

It was not enough to keep me warm, but it was enough to keep me from freezing. My toes were the only part of me that were really cold; the rest was just chilly. About ten minutes into trying to sleep, I took my wristies off of my hands and placed them over my feet to supplement my socks. It helped some, but not enough.

What I would have done differently had I known the temperatures would be in the twenties: brought my midweight fleece zip hoodie and my thick acrylic boot socks. Between those two things, I would have been warm enough to be comfortable, if not hot.

If things got real bad, I still could have added my sit pad and space blanket to the mix (I had both with me). I wasn't cold enough to get out of my hammock to do that, though.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    My personal low record was from when I was still in Scouts. The second night of our weekend outing was -35c/-31f without the windchill factor (we were just in the trees on the coast of the Bay of Fundy so you can be darn sure there was a windchill). Some of us were in tents, some of us were in a poorly made quinzee, everyone was cold but no one got frostbite.

I camped out once a couple years later with some friends from that same group at below the minus 30 mark. We were on snowmobiles but were very poorly prepared (last minute teenage boys ideas). But we had fire and an ax so we made due. Actually we would have bailed but at least two of the sleds had no headlight.

I'm not going that cold again unless I'm hot tenting, these days I'd be more concerned about staying home and keeping the fire stoked for the family anyway.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, sounds like at least some one is starting to get serious! At last something well below zero. What were you using to keep warm?

wearing: wool socks, longjohns (top and bottom), arcteryx fleece top, balaclava (with diy fleece insert)

TNF Solar Flare Mummy Bag (-20*F rating)
    Claytor Expedition hammock
    1/2 inch ccf
    3/8 inch ccf
    (another 3/8 inch ccf perpendicular for torso)
    under hammock was poncho rigged as garlington taco.
    also inside hammock was my extra clothing/puffy jacket to stuff as necessary at any "cold spots" usually at my hips on one side just below where the perpendicular ccf ends.

Hammock
    wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles
    Last year I got down to 4F with -5F to negative -10F wind chill in my backyard. Slept warm until about 4 am when i had to water the plants. I looked like one of those sprinklers, you know the ones, chik, chik,chik,chik, fftfftffftftt. Got back in my hammock and it took me a good 45 minutes to get back to the edge of comfort. I normally would have bailed but my wife said I wouldn't last the night so i had to man up and walk in at 7 and act like the it was the best night of rest ever. There is no way I would want to have to do that on the trail with my gear as It stands although where I hang in my back yard I am in direct wind.
    My gear that night is as follows:
    Wbbb dl1.7
    Wbbb winter yeti
    2'x2' half inch landau foam under my footbox
    Ems mountain light 20F bag used as quilt.
    Stoic luft 800 fill down jacket
    Polypropylene long johns
    Three pairs of wool socks
    Hiking pants
    Base layer t shirt
    Micro fleece sweater
    Long sleeve shirt
    Fleece Lined balaclava
    Heavy wool beanie hat
    No tarp(it definetly would have helped with the wind)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    wearing: wool socks, longjohns (top and bottom), arcteryx fleece top, balaclava (with diy fleece insert)

TNF Solar Flare Mummy Bag (-20*F rating)
    Claytor Expedition hammock
    1/2 inch ccf
    3/8 inch ccf
    (another 3/8 inch ccf perpendicular for torso)
    under hammock was poncho rigged as garlington taco.
    also inside hammock was my extra clothing/puffy jacket to stuff as necessary at any "cold spots" usually at my hips on one side just below where the perpendicular ccf ends.
    Ah Ha! A pad man! Proves once again they can get the job done at whatever temp. Sounds like a total of 10/8 or 1.25" under your torso, plus whatever boost you got from the Garlington. Good to know!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Well my lowest is only about 20*, but I can do that consistently on the trail, and be perfectly comfortable. This is coming from a person that has traditionally hated the cold and until 2006 wouldn't regularly go out if it was under 40. I have never like the cold, and still don't, but regularly take trips in the 20's because I know i'll at least be comfortable when I sleep. Not to mention that I have gotten my pack weight down to 25 lbs or less with food for a weekender. I still wont go if its going to be less than 20 because I know I wont have fun. We don't have to deal much lower than that where I live anyway.

All in all when you consider weight to warmth ratio I feel like I am at a good point and owe it all to HF. Anyway, just wanted to say that I feel accomplished and goals are relative.

Congrats to Turk and Shug though. No doubt they are darn good at what they do!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Careful what you wish for...

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Now we should go for the Hottest Hang .... I think that would be harsh!!!!!
    Shug
    Remember -- I now live in Tucson, AZ. We could arrange a trek into the desert in July, when its about 110F. Only problem is the saguaro cacti can't be used to hang a hammock, we'd have to find some mesquite or Ironwood.

I can see the video now: scorpions, rattlers, road runners, javelina, gila monsters.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678