Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Lightbulb Tarp Tent (W/floor) for Hammock

Ok, bear with me here, I'm great at belaboring a point well beyond the point that you "Get it".....

Humor me...place your index fingers tip to tip, and touch your thumb tips tip to tip...(form a diamond)....

Imagine a hammock hanging in the middle.......(End view).

Imagine the side view...a banana shaped curve that matches the hammock's bottom curve.....

Am I crazy, or can't we all save weight and solve the problem with air flow around the hammock by putting a [I]floor attached to the edges of the tarp[I] under the hammock?

I know it CAN be done, the basic hammock has that shape already...

just make an oversized hennessey hammock out of silnylon, and suspend the actual hammock inside it.......

Suspended tarp tent!

So, I can think of lots of negatives on my own, show me the ways to make it work!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Would you stake it to have the triangular shape? Bottom entry? Maybe a hammock sock with tie outs. Should'nt weigh much more than just a tarp. I think condensation would be the biggest problem. Maybe make the bottom out of a WPB fabric.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Sounds like you are describing a hanging bivii of greater proportion....it will be a condensation trap in the described size and style....BTW... Bivis normally have breathable tops not bottoms....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could put a perimeter of bug net around the floor, and sew it several inches inside the tarp's perimeter so the tarp's "eaves" protect it. That would help with condensation. Not completely, though.

Entry would be interesting. I guess bottom-entry like a HH would work if you used a waterproof zipper or sealed the velcro like _||_ (but pointing down) instead of overlapping.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    PS... a bivi has to be close enough that the non sensible sweat vapor passes before cooling to form condensation.... ie it is a realitively low volume item vs the larger volume of say a HH with top and bottop fly envelope...

FWIW...What you envisioned is not unlike the original HH SS that was a silnyl full wrap with a vent box on the top...It was later separated to a top and bottom .... the top is not recommended in other than desert conditions.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    You could put a perimeter of bug net around the floor, and sew it several inches inside the tarp's perimeter so the tarp's "eaves" protect it. That would help with condensation. Not completely, though.

Entry would be interesting. I guess bottom-entry like a HH would work if you used a waterproof zipper or sealed the velcro like _||_ (but pointing down) instead of overlapping.

Now look at the MSR Fling Single Pole tent...Google the image....

http://www.moontrail.com/msr-fling.php

It has a unique design that drips condensation off of the sides.....

I'm just thinking that you engineers could make this work...

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    Am I crazy, or can't we all save weight and solve the problem with air flow around the hammock by putting a [I]floor attached to the edges of the tarp[I] under the hammock?
    not sure i've got it right, but if the problem you're referring to is the 'cold' air flow around the hammock, your problem is insulation, not air... a JRB WeatherShield forms the bottom of my tarp/hammock setup, but doesn't insulate anything... it does add a few degrees to the low end, but not enough to use alone except in the middle of summer. adding a 'floor' won't solve it. you still need bottom insulation in a tent or when sleeping on the ground.

i generally don't have any trouble with condensation, but it's pretty warm around here, which helps.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you thinking of something like this, but with tie-outs?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if i`m understanding your 1st post, your talking about a way to have the hammock & whatever insulation system you`re using, out of the wind... like hanging inside of a tent.
    i`ve thought a lot about that since jeff brought up the spin-drift situation he found himself in last winter.
    i`m thinking if you had very much loose material hanging underneath you, it would be blowing in the wind or just floping out of time w/ the hammock`s swing.
    so my thought was that the wind protection be attached to the tarp & go to the ground.
    if you look at the tarp i made (pictures in the homemade gear gallery), you`ll see that i added an extra seam down the length of the tarp on both sides about 12" from the bottom edge.
    on this seam i added grosegrain tie-outs the same as on the lower edge of the tarp, except that i put them on the bottom (inside) & the top (out-side).
    the reason is for adding a wall (mabey 3 feet by the length of the tarp.
    this could be attached on the under-side for the shingle effect in rain, or attached to the top-side for high wind. still just experimenting w/ the idea<g>.
    the walls could be silnylon for rain, leaving the ends open for ventilation.
    or the walls could be breathable, DWR if angled in toward the ground under the center of the hammock, leaving a strip of ground about 2 feet wide for walking under the length of the hammock.
    still working on the end closers.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Yeah jeff, just like that with a ridgeline and tieouts...

figure out a way to get into and out of it in a hennessey (I'm prejudiced).

The sock is supposed to BE the Tarp, so a Python Tarp with tieouts....

Minimal clearance on the top, medium on the bottom to allow for movement in the hammock, and as for condensation, with tie outs and a tensioned fly, all condensate should travel to the tieouts and down...velcro a little piece of packtowel in the bottom to collect it... remove and wring it out ocassionally.
    Last edited by SuperTroll; 11-28-2006 at 08:07. Reason: add detail

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast