Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You haven't gotten that third arm taken care of yet?

I've found one fabric lady who asked if I was making ponchos out of it...I was shocked she even knew it was waterproof! But I'm near Ft Bragg, and she said a lot of the soldiers come in looking for stuff like that.

I've only seen ripstop at Walmart in the dollar bins. From the ones I've been to, untreated 1.9 ripstop is pretty common, 1.1 oz DWR is even more common, and silnylon is pretty rare. But it's out there. Keep looking...you'll know when you've found it b/c your pulse will race, your breathing will quicken...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    maybe you need to find out who those kite makers are & get in on the action
    There are a bunch of day camps in the area and they grab it to have for craft days.

ha, the walmart close to my house now carries a $1/yd section! they might have before, but I didnt see it. I asked for the section and they pointed my to a small aectiion with $0.89 tools. ha

anyway, I found 2 bolts of 100% polyester uncoated (looking for hammock material). i could barely see my hand through it, so I decided it was good enough. sadly there wasnt enough.

now, I think the best thing to do is get it off speer's site. I like the brown, color is growing on me. and coming to think of it, $21 is not that bad, as it is holding my weight.is the walmart stuff really trustable?

DIY Tactical has 1.9 coated ripstop in some different colors if you don't mind buying online.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    now, I think the best thing to do is get it off speer's site. I like the brown, color is growing on me. and coming to think of it, $21 is not that bad, as it is holding my weight.is the walmart stuff really trustable?
    the w-mart stuff can be just great... it's just a matter of choosing the right stuff<G>.

also, you'll want to look it over closely to be sure there are no blemishes that would make it unsuitable for a hammock.
    that has rarely been the case but i do have one bolt from w-mart that has blemishes every so often that would keep me from using it for a hammock. they are just far enough apart that i may not be able to get the length i would need for a hammock w/o the blemishes.

since they don't have much to choose from anyway, buying from speer would be a safe & pretty inexpensive way to go.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    &quot;Sto&quot; Serape &amp; RRG
    Images
    Ask the little old ladies for "flag" material. Sometimes that turns on a lightbulb.

But, looking through the $1 and $2 bin is really what it takes. After a few trips, and a few success stories you should be able to spot ripstop quickly. After that it's hit or miss as to whether or not it is 1.1, 1.9, or sil. And forget about looking for a specific color.

Caveat emperor!!! Just made a hammock sock from some $1, 1.1 oz ripstop. As I was testing, measuring, testing, sewing, testing, measuring, ... I noticed some blemishes in the material. Some sites advertise 1sts, and 2nds. Well this stuff is probably 3rds or 4ths. But it was ok for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    DIY Tactical has 1.9 coated ripstop in some different colors if you don't mind buying online.
    Defects in the fabric is one reason Im scared to buy online.

well my reason for splurging on speer products is that since I will be putting so much time and effort, I dont want it ruined easily. great way to convince someone

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Ask the little old ladies for "flag" material. Sometimes that turns on a lightbulb.
    You can use kites also. Most the ladies ask me if I'm making kites when I get the ripstop.

Images

Buying fabric online

I agree. When I make something that I feel is a "keeper" I use good stuff from Speer or ThruHiker or something like that. Especially for sil. I don't want to waste time or gas going to Walmart twice a week in hopes that I make that magical score like Hooch.
    That being said, I do stop by the $1 bin when I am in the store or even the shopping center area. I do have bags and bags of $1 ripstop for my prototypes, practice, and testing projects. And, when I do find a roll of something I like and the lady asks "how much", I usually say "all of it".
    Of course, if I ever do find sil there, I will most likely gloat endlessly on the forum!!

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go to Walmart. That night light in the hall needs a bulb I think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast