Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh yeah.. 1 last question. I was also looking at the ENO tarp...Is that the best tarp for the money, appropriate size, etc? Sorry for all the questions.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site. I use Amsteel 7/64 rope for my ridgelines.
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...id=AMRAMSTL764
    Speer hammocks will sew you the loops in their polypropylene webbing for a fee.
    For polyester straps check here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...0343#post40343

Don't know much about the Eno tarp. Hooch uses or used one. Not many have it. Much better options out there. It looks really nice but seems to be lacking in coverage. Too bad about the Sportsmans Guide tarp R.I.P
    Hard to say what is the best tarp for the money. Several really nice tarps to choose from. Check here for some good comparisons. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 01-05-2008 at 22:08.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Welcome to the forums fellow Charotte hanger.

I have an Eno and a handfull of DIY hammocks. You will find lots of info here. Eno was my first hammock and started the move to the "dark side"
    Last edited by TDunc; 01-07-2008 at 09:36. Reason: darn fingers!
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Don't know much about the Eno tarp. Hooch uses or used one.
    I have one and will comment on it later today. Just got in from working a 16 hour night shift and am worn out. Remind me to comment if I don't in a day or 2,ok?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I have one and will comment on it later today. Just got in from working a 16 hour night shift and am worn out. Remind me to comment if I don't in a day or 2,ok?
    o.k.....now go chill in your hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    g8trh8tr- Welcome to the Forum!

I'll give another shout-out to the ENOs. I've owned two of them (single and double) and really liked them. SAG was my biggest issue with them, but learning that really helped with all my later hanging. A ridgeline will make your life easier.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g8trh8tr View Post
    I was also looking at the ENO tarp...Is that the best tarp for the money......?
    Ok, as promised, here's my take on the ENO DryFly rain tarp. In my opinion, get something else. When I first bought mine, I was very new to hanging and didn't know about hammocking resources like HF. So, I didn't know about other alternatives. The ENO DryFly accomplishes basic coverage, but if you're in wet, windy condtions, don't plan on your hammock, etc. staying dry. It just doesn't have enough coverage on the sides to give what I would call "good coverage". If you (or someone you know) have sewing skills, then a DIY tarp would be great. Here is a link to the Black Cat tarp. Also, there are plenty of commercial tarps available, including the OES Mac Cat series, the Speer Winter Tarp and Cat Cut Tarp (made in wesern NC ) and the Jacks r Better Cat Tarp. I'm sure that there are other options out there, but those are just the few that come to mind immediately. There are plenty of choices out there, just experiment and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's one of the best ways to deal with the hammocking learning curve along with direct experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've owned two of them (single and double) and really liked them. SAG was my biggest issue with them, but learning that really helped with all my later hanging. A ridgeline will make your life easier.
    I'll second Cannibal's thought on the ENO SingleNest and DoubleNest. It is much more comfortable to sleep in, especially on the asym, if you use a structural ridgeline. I put one on mine a while back and it made all the difference. Here's a link to the thread along with a couple pics of how I did it. Like I said above, experiment with it, see where your sweet spot is and then go for it. A ridgeline is the best thing I ever did to increase the comfort of my hammock.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    A late welcome to HF!

I've recently driven by the entrance to King's Mountain State Park, your area looks like there would be a lot of fun places to hike and hang.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Thanks for all the responses and warm welcome. I have camped/hiked the Kings Mountain on several occasions and it is a nice area. I ordered the parts needed for the ring/buckle setup and also some cord to use for my ridgeline. When the gear arrives I am sure I will have more questions..lol Thanks again to everyone.

hey gatorhater... i live over here in shelby (you pass shelby on the way to kings mountain park)... let me know next time your hiking around the area or hanging (literally) around the area... donaldeslick@gmail.com