Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    jjthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TN
    Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Posts
    64

    Alternative uses for whoopie slings?

    I know that in the tree care and boating industries whoopie slings are often used, but I was wondering if anybody uses them for more common things. They seem too useful for just hanging hammocks. Obviously, I'm thinking of uses that could not be as easily achieved by simply using rope and knots.

  2. #2
    BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,864
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jjthedog View Post
    I know that in the tree care and boating industries whoopie slings are often used, but I was wondering if anybody uses them for more common things. They seem too useful for just hanging hammocks. Obviously, I'm thinking of uses that could not be as easily achieved by simply using rope and knots.
    I think Opie made a whoopie sling into a key chain and Dutch made a whoopie sling belt with the aid of a dutch clip.

    As for your need, you would have to find an application where having a double looped line with one adjustable loop is desirable. If you had a long enough setup, I am sure you could use a whoopie sling as a tow recover strap if you really wanted to.

    Cheers

    Brian

  3. #3
    Senior Member RWillieK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Posts
    113
    I was thinking about using them as guy lines for my 35-foot tall fiberglass pole that holds up my wire ham radio antennas
    Just another Ham in a Hammock....

  4. #4
    Senior Member uneekwahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    Posts
    142
    I plan on using them as guy ropes for my tent

  5. #5
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    The thing about using a whoopie sling as a guy out is they work great and easily to tension them. But if you dont have any way to place slack in the sling, they are very difficult to to get them to release.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  6. #6
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I think Opie made a whoopie sling into a key chain and Dutch made a whoopie sling belt with the aid of a dutch clip.

    As for your need, you would have to find an application where having a double looped line with one adjustable loop is desirable. If you had a long enough setup, I am sure you could use a whoopie sling as a tow recover strap if you really wanted to.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Not enough stretch in the Amsteel Blue for that. Unless you just want to use it as a tow rope.

    Using it as a recovery rope would be a jolting experience.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  7. #7
    flatline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    high point, nc
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Posts
    2,991
    Images
    44
    i work at the orange big box and i use a whoopie as the waist tie on my apron.

    >_please add your name to the world wide H F member location list_<


    _________f___l___a___t___l___i___n___e_________

    " just jump in where you can and hang on!" - briscoe darling

    ___the_cure_for_flatline_disease_can_be_found_here ____

  8. #8
    Senior Member Highbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    A Scot in Spain
    Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Posts
    236
    Images
    5
    I want to rig one as a guitar strap, but my reso might be a bit heavy. Might try and pick up some 1/2" or larger amsteel, would be more comfy on the shoulder

  9. #9
    creativeKayt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Posts
    1,107
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    I want to rig one as a guitar strap, but my reso might be a bit heavy. Might try and pick up some 1/2" or larger amsteel, would be more comfy on the shoulder
    You could always put a smallish leather shoulder pad in between two shorter whoopie slings for comfort.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Highbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    A Scot in Spain
    Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Posts
    236
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    You could always put a smallish leather shoulder pad in between two shorter whoopie slings for comfort.
    Well for visual impact I think one inch amsteel would do the trick, saying that I'm sure a long thick section of turksheads (or other decorative knots that'd thicken the di) would look good too.

    Do like the idea of a whoopie sling belt though. None of my belts fit these craghopper trousers, and I'm ashamed to say but the belt they provide is a little on the snug side

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •