HH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Mugs ... i'm in the process of lightening up as much as i can afford financially at the moment ... i love the whole UL initiative ... i'm more of a backpacker than a car camper, although i enjoy both ... sounds like you're taking UL to phenomenal levels ... i can't wait to learn more about what you're doing ... E.T.A. for the above mentioned video?

do you winter camp? or is your 4+ pack weight just summer?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    As far as pack base weight I've been lucky to be at around 11-13lb base weight. But that because I don't have a lot of gear, I just make it work with what I got, and its far from ultra light gear. I guess I just don't have enough cool stuff to have a heavy pack, haha.

Just my 2 cent.
    this is the essense of going ultralight. keep it up and don't buy anything extra. just make upgrades on what you have and you'll be down to 10 in no time

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by justradar View Post
    E.T.A. for the above mentioned video?

do you winter camp? or is your 4+ pack weight just summer?
    I have no idea when the video will come out...soon I hope.

Yes the 4+ is for 3 season only. Winter is a whole nother' ball game that I don't mess around with. Its a pulk and tons o down and warm things for me. I hate being cold. I actually gave up winter camping until I got into hammocking this fall. Now I am back into winter camping again. Went on a Mid Winter Hang with quiet a few forum members and had a blast. So I am hooked from here on out.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    This guy is going that direction....

http://www.dphammockgear.com/index.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post

even this guy is at 5# for 40 degrees. many of us are below 5# at 0 degrees. no criticism of his product, but i think HF is on the cutting edge of hammocks. i read other forums, even backpacking light and they refer readers to us for details. setting up a separate site i feel would dilute the info and only be a storage place for what is developed here. when i am on other sites i just overlook sleeping gear and concentrate on, packs, cooking, first-aid, clothing, poles, footwear, gloves etc. this stuff we all have in common.

as far as UL goes i feel it comes to a state of mind at some point and becomes very personal. what i can do without may not be the same as you. this is why most UL'er will not post their gear list. the duel use of many items is not always agreed with. i think socks are poorly made mittens

it is hard to gather info. many things are DIY, but i chug along. now i need Kaia to go UL.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    even this guy is at 5# for 40 degrees. many of us are below 5# at 0 degrees. no criticism of his product, but i think HF is on the cutting edge of hammocks.
    He is talking about a 5# sleep system....we (us UL'ers) are talking and dealing with 5# Base weights...all gear minus food, fuel, water, because that is a constant variable. So there is a big difference in understandings.

And Yes one of the first things I tell everyone when they attend my presentations and seminars is I can give you all the Lightweight equipment in the world and you will still die. One has to develop the skill set to use it.

Agreed everyone's backpacking kit will be different, as it should be. Because we have catered it to out liking and style. But as long as the weight comes in at the appropriate category is what matters.

0-2.5 = SUL
    2.5-5 = UL
    5-8 = LW
    8-10 = MW
    10+ WORK HARDER YOU TOO HEAVY
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    He is talking about a 5# sleep system....we (us UL'ers) are talking and dealing with 5# Base weights...
    are we talking 5 lb. base in zero degree weather. i posted about winter. single digits. when you post weights, please post the temps you are dealing with. it is a big help to the rest of us.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    yeah, cuben Hs work well, I have diy a conventional and a bridge, not difficult, you do not even need to hem the edges. it is naturally very rip stop. folk talk about, (it doesn't breathe,) well neither does a ccf pad, I have had no condensation probs. it is that the raw materials are expensive, but dang the results are light!!! gnome

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis

@KayakKarl

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post

Yeah, I know he's not what's being sought after. Just pointing out that there is movement. It'll come!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234