Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Noob Q's

Is the pad just for insulating? (to fight CBS?) Does it's cushioning effect add significantly to the comfort of the hammock? Does it make things noisier or quieter?
    If it's about insulating, do you just leave it home during warm months? Different materials and cell structures have different R-values which would add alot to the CBS conversation - but I never hear about that
    I appreciate everyone's 2c.
    Thanks!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The primary reason for the pad is for insulation since the hammock allows cold air flow underneath you that normally would not happen on the ground. Typically the pad doesn't add a lot of comfort in my opinion, though some pads can help to straighten the hammock out some or hold the sides out some (at least it does in my experience with an Exped SynMat 7 Deluxe). Inflatable pads allow adjusting the stiffness of the pad which sculpts the hammock shape a bit.

You can leave a pad home in warm months, but I've found at any temp less than around 70 degrees I still prefer something underneath.

I've used an Exped Synmat 7 Dlx inflatable pad in an ENO DoubleNest and it kept me very warm. It is inconvenient to have to get the pad into the hammock, and can make it noisier if the pad material crinkles or squeaks. I tried a ThermaRest RidgeRest foam pad and got condensation in it which can be a bit uncomfortable as your clothes might get damp spots in certain weather conditions.

Hammock
    Eno SN
    Tarp
    ENO profly
    Insulation
    Eno ember
    Suspension
    Climbing gear
    I found that the pad helps keep ur shoulders more flat. It helps to keep from getting that squished feeling. I use a short Thermarest Pro in my ENO sn and loved it

About leaving it in warm months....I lived on Kauai and ALWAYS had it with. More comfort and u never know when a lil wind or weather can roll in

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am browsing the forums here and since this thread has some connection with my question I'll ask. I have a couple of pads that I use - a blue CCF from walmart and a ThermaRest Trail Lite (I think thats what it is, green and full length but not an extra large or anything). In the winter I combine the two for extra insulation on the snow (tent camping).

I am transitioning in to hammock hanging. I was thinking of trying my thermarest first, but I am not sure if that will be enough. Looks like temps will be in the 30's at night. My sleeping bag is a 0deg and has done well, with a baselayer and liner, down to that temp so 30 or so won't be any issue for the bag normally. Will the pad alone add sufficient insulation below? Should I double up pads? Should I scratch the pad idea and go for an under-quilt?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    How thick are your pads? If they are 1/4" I would double up, if 3/8"+ I would just use one pad at 30 degrees. It also depends on whether or not you are a cold or warm sleeper. Best thing you can do is test your set-up in your backyard before going out into the backwoods. Should you scratch the pad idea and go for an UQ? YES!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Should you scratch the pad idea and go for an UQ? YES!
    Eh... I switched to UQs and have stuck with them because I'm stubborn and invested a lot of money in them, but honestly, it was easier to stay warm with a pad. UQ's require tons of fidgeting, adjusting, tweaking, and so on.

Sure, keeping a pad underneath you could be a hassle too, but there was no guesswork there. If you're cold, you're off the pad - simple fix: get on the pad!

With a UQ, you have multiple points to adjust, might need to add an over-the-ridgeline cord to prevent your shoulder slipping down, have to think about the angle the suspension lines pull at, and so on. I've had more than one night where I got up four or five times to try to adjust my underquilt because it wasn't staying in place.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My Thermarest is 1", uncompressed, and my CCF is 1/2". It would be easy enough to take both. My tent set up is about 9.5lbs so switching to the hammock will feel like a feather even with two pads. Don't laugh about the tent though, I like it - its a MH Hammerhead and has held up to some rediculus unexpected weather in the appalachians and southern ohio. I will add a lighter weight 3 season to my arsenal - maybe next year, if I go back to a tent for anything after the hammock

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I am a proponent of using a pad in a hammock, and the main reason is for comfort. I get a significant ridge along my calf in all gathered end hammocks. I have a theory as to why this occures, but I won't bore you with that. A pad significantly reduces this ridge so I no longer feel it. I have never tried an underquilt, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine one could work for me in this style of hammock. The second reason is for weight. I use a REI Lite-Core 1.0 self-inflating sleeping pad directly under me, and it is lighter than any UQ I have seen while also packing down to an incredibly small cylinder. I like to use mine on top of my double layer Blackbird - instead of between the layers - because I have found it is easier to adjust it that way. I also fully unzip my mummy bag and use it like a top quilt, so I am sleeping directly on top of my pad. This, for me, has many advantages. First, it is much easier to get into the hammock - rather than wrestle my way into a mummy bag. Second, it is more comfortable, and Third, the pad acts like a vapor barrier, because it doesn't breathe as well as other pads, and it is directly against my back. Using this system I have slept comfortably down to 35* (only because it's the lowest temperature I've gone down to, but I think I could go down further), and as high as 70* without any condesation.

Under normal, summer conditions, in the mountains, this gives me great flexibility, and has served me well for over a year now. Of course your results can vary, but just because UQ's are what the popular kids are doing doesn't meen a SP can't work for you. I'd say test it out yourself. Spring is coming and a short hike/overnight with multiple pads would be a great place to start. That way you could always retreat to your car if it doesn't work out, but the conditions are more to reality. Hope this helps.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

• + New Posts