Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    370

    biner hitch, how much rope?

    well, I plan to get the stuff for my DIY hammock set, eventually... it is coming along, but slowly.


    any way, for TD's biner hitch, how much rope should be on the ends? enough to go from the hammock to the tree and back to the SMC ring (about 1' away from the hammock end).

    I may consider more line, so it loops several times, making it like a pulley system, where it is easy to adjust but move the rope more (more accurate).

    it costs $23 for a 75 yard spool of 2.8 spyderline. (hopefully west marine will have some or ship to their store, no shipping cost).

  2. #2
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    well, I plan to get the stuff for my DIY hammock set, eventually... it is coming along, but slowly.


    any way, for TD's biner hitch, how much rope should be on the ends? enough to go from the hammock to the tree and back to the SMC ring (about 1' away from the hammock end).

    I may consider more line, so it loops several times, making it like a pulley system, where it is easy to adjust but move the rope more (more accurate).

    it costs $23 for a 75 yard spool of 2.8 spyderline. (hopefully west marine will have some or ship to their store, no shipping cost).
    The only advantage to placing the SMC ring 1' from the hammock end is that you don't have to move it when you move sites. But undoing a lark's head and repositioning the ring is no big deal. When I do this I put the ring about 1.5 feet from the biner on the webbing. And as you get adept at picking trees, you'll be within a couple of feet distance every time and you won't have to move the ring anymore much.

    In my experience more than 2 round trips between biner and ring mean you end up having to loosen the cords up a bit by hand when you're adjusting. They lay on top of each other and don't just "slide".

    Grizz

  3. #3
    Senior Member pure_mahem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bennington,VT
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Posts
    473
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    it costs $23 for a 75 yard spool of 2.8 spyderline. (hopefully west marine will have some or ship to their store, no shipping cost).
    Do you have a link to them or is that the in store price? That's cheaper than I'm finding it for.

  4. #4
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Do you have a link to them or is that the in store price? That's cheaper than I'm finding it for.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=12948
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  5. #5
    Senior Member pure_mahem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bennington,VT
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Posts
    473
    Images
    32
    That makes more sense thanks FF! It's a spool of 75 feet not 75 yards. That's still pretty cheap though. That's about 31 cents a foot plus shipping. The cheapest I can find it elsewhere is 42 cents a foot plus shipping. Thanks for the link.

  6. #6
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    The Amsteel 12 is another good choice. The 1/8" is stronger and cheaper than the 2.8mm Spyderline at .22 a foot.

    www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e832.asp
    Best price can be found here http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...?id=AMRAMSTL18
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The only advantage to placing the SMC ring 1' from the hammock end is that you don't have to move it when you move sites. But undoing a lark's head and repositioning the ring is no big deal. When I do this I put the ring about 1.5 feet from the biner on the webbing. And as you get adept at picking trees, you'll be within a couple of feet distance every time and you won't have to move the ring anymore much.

    In my experience more than 2 round trips between biner and ring mean you end up having to loosen the cords up a bit by hand when you're adjusting. They lay on top of each other and don't just "slide".

    Grizz
    IIRC TeeDee suggested using a clove hitch to locate the SMC ring on the hammock cord, that is what I use. It locks in place when loaded and is still easy to relocate when needed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    370
    well, i am used to everything being in yards he, so feet (i knew, but lemme easy, alright)?

    and I will probably move the ring as needed, but only have it loop back 2 time, reducing the force on the ropes greatly.the reason i am getting spyderline is that hopefully i can get it without shipping.

    so, how much on each end is suggested?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •