WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah. Big mistake. Shug is kind of the man, though there is many men here at HF.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp syl
    Insulation
    No Sniveler UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have another question.. Haha! Is there a sleeping bag that is specifically made for hammock camping? I have seen some that have straps to connect to the foot of the hammock to prevent sliding.. If there are what are some good ones?
    The Big Agnes Horse Thief sleeping bag.. This bag is more like a top quiilt with the insulation on top and sleeve on the bottom for a pad. This keeps the pad under you if you wriggle about.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Colbysteed so how is everything working for you so far?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I used the ENO dryfly this past weekend, in a steady rain, and it kept me dry. So as far as that goes, I have no issues with it. It feels sturdy, like it would hold up well ina storm. With that being said, I will still probably upgrade to the chinook 12x14 tarp soon. Slo has one and I hung with him and others at the ohio hang this weekend. The chinook is huge. has doors, and would be good for riding out extended foul weather. Being a big guy, I want something I can stand under and get dressed or packed up and the ENO just wasn't big enough. but that is not a knock on the eno, just on the overall size. I am also looking at the kelty noahs tarp 10. My buddy used my noahs 9 this weekend, it looked a bit bigger than my eno, better coverage. The noahs 10 only weighs a few ounces more. Since I am not a gram weenie, it would be no big deal. I look at a mix of weight and comfort, not just weight. I am big and strong, so i can handle a few ounces.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    colbysteed, if I were you, I would look into an IX UQ.
    IX (Insultex) is a foam insulation product that is will work even if it gets wet.
    I kayak in the summer and would not dream of kayak camping with down anything. If down gets wet, it won't insulate. I'm sure there are others that use it and are comfortable with their means of keeping it dry, but I think it is too big of a risk.

You've mentioned a couple of times that you don't see the need for bottom insulation. I think that it will only take an hour in a hammock at night in 70*F or less to change your mind on that.

I've used a thermarest Z-lite pad in my hammocks and it worked OK. I didn't have sweat/condensation issues, but did have trouble with it bunching up (it folds like an accordian) and getting it positioned right under me.

A few things that you might want to check out:
    A good overview of tarps:
    http://gear-report.com/camping-hammo...-illustration/

Actually, I've got a bunch of stuff in my hammock section that might interest you:
    http://gear-report.com/category/hammock-2/
    Much of it is DIY related, but there are a few good overview articles that will help with the learning curve of how to properly set up your hammock system.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

I have finally Got all my gear in and have had a chance to set it up a couple of times. Everything looks like it is going to work out GREAT! I also got some great deals on Tarps, I went to Hudsons Its kinda like a return salvage store. Found a bunch of huge tents that all they had left were the Tarps to them. I made off with two 15x15 tarps that are light weight, great quality for $11. I'm going to try make some DIY tarps out of them. The whole bag situation.. I think I'm going to buy another one I don't see the one I bought working out very well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345