Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Mini bungees are a really really bad idea on tarp tieouts. They can turn a stake into a projectile weapon right quick.

    You'd be much better off using a self tensioning line, using any one of several techniques that have been posted here on HF. Please don't give people advice to use this potentially dangerous technique when there are far better alternatives available.
    While I don't disagree with you, I use the self tensioning line that you speak of (HC4U's second one in his thread) and they also turn a stake into a projectile. He even states this in his thread. If I were to use a mini bungie I would cut the hooks off and use the bungee like HC4U's second method in his thread. Might be a little short, though.

    Instead of ordering shock cord from an online retailer I just went to Rite Aid and bought a couple of ball bungees (3/16") for really cheap and cut them up.

  2. #12
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,174
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Mini bungees are a really really bad idea on tarp tieouts. They can turn a stake into a projectile weapon right quick.

    You'd be much better off using a self tensioning line, using any one of several techniques that have been posted here on HF. Please don't give people advice to use this potentially dangerous technique when there are far better alternatives available.
    im sorry. they got me through 120 nites and 1100 miles. i didnt mean to endanger lives.
    It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    While I don't disagree with you, I use the self tensioning line that you speak of (HC4U's second one in his thread) and they also turn a stake into a projectile.
    There are several ways of doing them - the two most common, one shock cord based and one slingshot rubber based, both have a "maximum stretch" set by the fact that the stretchy material is run parallel to a normal guyline. That means that only a certain amount of energy can be stored in the elasticity of the material, and also means that things won't go flying if the stretchy part snaps. It's much safer than a standard bungee, which can stretch much further, store more elastic energy, and send stakes flying at a higher velocity.

  4. #14
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,174
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    There are several ways of doing them - the two most common, one shock cord based and one slingshot rubber based, both have a "maximum stretch" set by the fact that the stretchy material is run parallel to a normal guyline. That means that only a certain amount of energy can be stored in the elasticity of the material, and also means that things won't go flying if the stretchy part snaps. It's much safer than a standard bungee, which can stretch much further, store more elastic energy, and send stakes flying at a higher velocity.
    but the bungees have less # pull then JRB tarp tentioners. should we never use tentioners.???
    It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    should we never use tentioners.???
    considering the fact that I specifically said to use tensioners, but proper ones, that sarcastic comment was pretty silly, don't you think?

  6. #16
    Senior Member ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Posts
    789
    Right, that's the way I have mine. I have my limiters set to about 3/4 of the stretch. In my opinion, tarp tensioners are a use at your own risk kind of deal. Thanks for your input, Mustardman.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    102
    I remember reading on a thread about the superfly, and use of tensinors Brandon mentioned that maybe people are not putting enough tension on the corner tieouts. He said its designed to take a decent load, and that it should not stretch too much, if its cranked down tight.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap
    Posts
    42
    I'm thinking of doing a continual ridgeline on my SF. Has anyone done that successfully? I'm planning on tying one end of the line to the rings on the ridgeline, wrap around my tree, wrap through a knotbone to secure that end, and then go under the ridgeline of the tarp, wrap around another tree and use a figure-9 to tension it.

    Ideas? Suggestions?

  9. #19
    Senior Member Hangin'Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Hammock
    DIY, Warbonnet, Eno
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Insulation
    Incubator, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Posts
    365
    Images
    32
    Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    should we never use tentioners.???

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    considering the fact that I specifically said to use tensioners, but proper ones, that sarcastic comment was pretty silly, don't you think?
    Seems like it's written in the same tone or spirit that your original statement was. So, seems like a legit question to me.

    Your original comment came across as pretty harsh. The kind of comment that keeps people from openly posting for fear of being ridiculed and made to look stupid.

    I've used tensioners and bungees and didn't see a lot of difference in performance. Both methods can turn a stake into a projectile but then again so can a strong wind combined with even a static line.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

  10. #20
    Senior Member whayneneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    ZPack, OES, WB
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    380
    Everyone please play nicely. Sometimes typed remarks can easily be misinterpreted. I don't think Mustardman was intentionally harsh. However, if he had added IMHO, it may have eased the sting. On the other hand, please don't take things so personally.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •