Hammock
    Grand trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    8x10 OES Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Soft shackles (nacrobiner) vs: Dutch clips?

Hey guys,

I would like a new method of keeping my suspension to the tree. Both of these methods appeal to me, with me more leaning to the nacrobiner, as the seem really light. ( I'm not a gram weenie, but saving weight is never a bad thing IMO)

-Richard

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi Richard, welcome to the forum!

Soft Shackles and Nacrabiners are two different things. They serve the same purposes but are made differently, just thought you would like to know. I'm not pickin on ya.

I decided on soft shackles because they are easier and faster for me to make but you really can't go wrong with any of those choices. I also had amsteel on hand already so that went into the decision as well. You could also just put one end of your strap through the end loop of the other after wrapping around the tree once, this way you don't have to worry about losing anything but your straps. Decisions, decisions

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    My personal preference ... DUTCH BINER ALL THE WAY

The Dutch Biner Part I

The Dutch Biner Part II

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    and do as the great Hawk shows and reverse the Dutch Biner from the 'normal' orientation and have it under the tarp-you'll then have a water break for free

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The Dutch Clip is way faster for me. It lives on the webbing courtesy of a few stitches and all I have to do is throw the end around the tree and hook it on the webbing. Easy and fast. Were I to use a soft shackle I'd have to open the loop, feed the knot and milk the bury. It doesn't take a lot of time but compared to the Dutch clip its a long time IMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    and do as the great Hawk shows and reverse the Dutch Biner from the 'normal' orientation and have it under the tarp-you'll then have a water break for free
    Ha ... yeah right but thanks ... oh and one note on the water break ... it works as one but in a torrential down pour like I had happen back in October the speed of the water coming down the whoopie actually went past the biner. I've gone back to making sure I have cotton drip line (old shoe strings or a piece of Shamwow) tied there.

But those little biners are mighty fine kit!!!! Mighty fine!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have both. I use dutch clips for the strap around the tree, and have the soft shackles for other things as needed. Sometimes I will use a shoft shackle aroung the toggle with the marlin spike. Then the whoopie to the soft shackle. If you get in the hammock your weight will pull the whoopie into the knot @ the marlin. Sometimes it seems harder to get the whoopie to adjust and with the soft shackle in there, it's not a problem. I have also not used the soft shackle. Still experimenting with it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use a dutch biner and attach it reverse to my woopie. Attach via loop to hammock, biner to loop and woopie. Larks head woopie to tree strap. This method allows me to store my wet suspension separate from my hammock and use the biner as a drip stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Ha ... yeah right but thanks ... oh and one note on the water break ... it works as one but in a torrential down pour like I had happen back in October the speed of the water coming down the whoopie actually went past the biner. I've gone back to making sure I have cotton drip line (old shoe strings or a piece of Shamwow) tied there.

But those little biners are mighty fine kit!!!! Mighty fine!!!
    And Hawk Eye this is great to know. I guess I'm putting my cotton strip back on my woopie thanks for the tip.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Hi Richard, welcome to the forum!

Soft Shackles and Nacrabiners are two different things. They serve the same purposes but are made differently, just thought you would like to know. I'm not pickin on ya.

I decided on soft shackles because they are easier and faster for me to make but you really can't go wrong with any of those choices. I also had amsteel on hand already so that went into the decision as well. You could also just put one end of your strap through the end loop of the other after wrapping around the tree once, this way you don't have to worry about losing anything but your straps. Decisions, decisions
    Or, put another way, "America was not discovered by Columbus; it was another man with the same name." They work the same. There are a couple of ways of making the end loop and a couple of ways of making the stopper knot (some better than others - be careful). I think the terms are used interchangeably for the same basic device.

From his fund of nautical wisdom, nacra533 introduced loop shackles on the forum as light weight replacements for carabiners, and some wag gratefully renamed them in his honor. Opie, have I shed light on this subject or blurred a distinction?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

I use a Dutch Clip for my treestrap for easy attaching and detaching (especially nice when you have to raise or lower your treestrap and limbs are in your way or you and a buddy are hanging from one of the same trees. You don't have to detach your marlinspike and whoopie and run your treestrap back out through itself, move up the tree above a set of limbs or your buddy's suspension, run the treestrap back through itself, retie your marlinspike and reattach your whoopie). Not as much weight as a carabiner but all the functionality.

I use a Dutch Biner the same way described above, reversing the whoopie. From the tree - treestrap, fixed eye of whoopie, Dutch Biner, chainlink, hammock. Used for all the reasons mentioned by others.

I use soft shackles for semi-permanent attachments of things (I use Dynaglide ones but even Amsteel ones are too finicky to deal with in gloves/mittens). I also keep 1 or 2 on the pack just in case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast