Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hammock Chair

  1. #1
    Member job13_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redmond, OR
    Posts
    85

    Hammock Chair

    Has anyone made a lightweight/small backpacking hammock-style chair? I'd like to make something that stuffs real small and is real light for day trips or whatever to use as a lounger of sorts. Any suggestions?

    [Edit:]

    Maybe something like this, but out of ripstop, and I wish it was designed in such a way that I wouldn't have to find that perfect branch that's strong enough and hangs far enough away from the trunk to hang it on.

    Last edited by job13_5; 01-21-2008 at 16:58.

  2. #2
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Job it is funny you ask this b/c I started one out of a failed project that I savaged, my hammock thong.

    I may finish it tonight a work. At first my plan was to use a hiking pole, but settle on a 1" dowel until I can work out some details. Realize that places to hang one are very limited. I was thinking that at some shelters you could hang from the rafters. Finding a good limb is harder than finding a good limb for a bear rope. It's not something I would take hiking, but I love novelties.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Job it is funny you ask this b/c I started one out of a failed project that I savaged, my hammock thong.

    I may finish it tonight a work. At first my plan was to use a hiking pole, but settle on a 1" dowel until I can work out some details. Realize that places to hang one are very limited. I was thinking that at some shelters you could hang from the rafters. Finding a good limb is harder than finding a good limb for a bear rope. It's not something I would take hiking, but I love novelties.
    It's a Banana hammock!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    I have always thought that you could make a chair by making a really short hammock maybe 60" wide and only 3-4' feet long, hung with a lot of sag.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  5. #5
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have always thought that you could make a chair by making a really short hammock maybe 60" wide and only 3-4' feet long, hung with a lot of sag.
    That is probably a much better idea than finding large overhead branches.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  6. #6
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have always thought that you could make a chair by making a really short hammock maybe 60" wide and only 3-4' feet long, hung with a lot of sag.
    that's what i was thinking. you could experiment to see how to best make the back high & the front low... like the one in the picture job13 5 gave.
    http://images.hammocks.com/mgen/digi...pg&h=400&w=400

    i don't know if that could best be done by the way it was gathered & whipped or by the way it was cut.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    PM the dino and ask her. I remember talking to her about a hammock chair at some point.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  8. #8
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,281
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have always thought that you could make a chair by making a really short hammock maybe 60" wide and only 3-4' feet long, hung with a lot of sag.
    I made a hammock out of Polyester that was five feet long for a chair. Tied it, untied it, retied it, gave up on it. I found a five or six foot hammock is very uncomfortable compared to setting in an 8 footer. I will keep it for my grandchild. Mule
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

  9. #9
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I made a hammock out of Polyester that was five feet long for a chair. Tied it, untied it, retied it, gave up on it. I found a five or six foot hammock is very uncomfortable compared to setting in an 8 footer. I will keep it for my grandchild. Mule
    good point. apparently the length makes a notable difference in comfort even when you use it as a chair.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  10. #10

    no need for seperate chair

    I tried back when I first got into hammocks and it worked pretty well.
    scroll to near the bottom of the page.

    http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s60p779.htm

    Happy hanging.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •