Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

WBBB vs. Clark - then inner battle rages

As I am looking for my first hammock, I have had several questions answered in the 'Clark' forum. Now a few questions about the Warbonnet.

Here's what I really like about the WBBB:
    1. Lighter weight - since Brandon pointed out that I only needed the 1.0 or 1.1 oz fabric.

2. The web suspension.

3. The foot box.

4. The double bottom.

5. The price.

What I wish was different:

1. Wish the netting could be completely tucked away (zipped on both sides)

2. A storm sheild would be nice ( I know - starting to lose the weight advantage)

3. Spreader poles seem like a good idea - eliminates side tieouts.

So, my questions - is it possible or practical to have a zipper mod done to the netting so it opens on both sides?
    Is it practical to sew in some pole pockets so spreader bars can be used?
    Is a storm sheild mod possible?

Having never been in a camping hammock maybe these changes are unrealistic or unnecessary. Don't beat me up too badly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    On the spreader bars, I don't view them as practical.

For one, they are more cumbersome stuff to shove into my pack. One of my first favorite things about hammocks was that I got to lose the tent poles. Last thing I want is to add them back into the mix. Second, I'm not sure you'd be able to get the shelf to work very well with the spreader bars. Honestly, that's about the only thing (IMO) the tie-outs are good for; supporting the shelf. More often than not, I don't use the tie-outs on the hammock. If I need/want the shelf, I just run the shelf tie-out to the stake holding the corner of my tarp; works even better on a 2-stake diamond tarp since it lines-up very well with that tie-out.

The netting doesn't bother me when it's tossed over, but I can understand your desire. I do like the weathershield on the Clarks, but in all honesty isn't used by me very much. There is an aftermarket topcover for the Blackbirds and I have one of the originals, but only on the coldest trips does it ever get used.

Most all of this is just a matter of preferences. Hard decisions to make when you haven't used a hammock yet. Best bet is to find some folks near you that will let you play with their gear a little bit. Good luck, both are excellent hammocks. They just serve different niches is all.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    - The footbox isn't an 'addition', it's just a shaped piece of fabric to accomodate the non-asym cut of the BB's net. That was a patent workaround.

- Instead of installing some sort of zip-mod, it would be cheaper to just get a Traveler (same dimensions as BB, just no net at all) for when it wasn't needed.

- Many people find that a 'storm shield' promotes condensation. A properly pitched tarp will eliminate rain or spray anyway.

- The side tie-outs don't have to be used. Some simply take that cording off anyway.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I haven't made a formal announcement yet, but i've added a bit of ribbon between the shelf and the footbox along the side of the hammock, this allows the netting to be pulled all the way off to the side, (giving a fully open top above you). This isn't on the imported dl1.0's because those are already made, or on the single 1.1's because there's some old inventory of those, but IS now on the double1.7, double1.1, and single 1.7.

somebody at the winter hang convinced me to do this (can't remember who, i think one of the guys from NM)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Unsponsored Down
    Suspension
    Dutch + Whoopies
    Very cool Brandon, will mine i just ordered be one of the new ones?

Cheers
    Trev

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Black Mama Jamba
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevlett View Post
    Very cool Brandon, will mine i just ordered be one of the new ones?

Cheers
    Trev
    I was wondering the same thing. Ordered mine Feb 24.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I haven't made a formal announcement yet, but i've added a bit of ribbon between the shelf and the footbox along the side of the hammock, this allows the netting to be pulled all the way off to the side, (giving a fully open top above you).
    You did not! No pics...

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    what is the wait time for a 1.1 double?

Images
    i think if it shipped recently it will have the new mod. the last dl1.7's that didn't have it shipped a couple weeks ago. would be easy to do yourself if you or someone you know can sew.

first batch of dl1.1's (slate grey) are in production now.

sorry no pics, imagine a strip of ribbon that hangs down at the bottom of that funny shaped black patch (the patch between the footbox and the shelf) anyway, there's one on the inside of the hammock and one on the outside, you just roll the net up and tie it out of the way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Ahhh gotcha Brandon...thanks.

Oh and PT, yet another reason WB rules the roost. Brandon makes a fine product and is not afraid to mix it up on site. My homework journey was HH to Clark to WBBB. My take is the Clark was too expensive and clumsy. I would want an UQ anyway and by the time I factored in all the +&- the WBBB won my cash. It also did not hurt to watch the WBBBs fly out of the for sale side of this forum while the Clarks tended to sit...unless the price was lowered by at least half.

I have an AHE BBO for the BB and it is a versatile piece of equipment. No need to have it permanantly attached to my hammock either.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 03-07-2011 at 19:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast