Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Another Guyline

  1. #21
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Exit 5, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL or 1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    284
    Images
    1
    Overkill?!?!? It's a stake tied to a line tied to a tarp. There are no gadgets or extra lines or loops. You just pull out your tarp, push in your stakes, and tighten if necessary. No knots to tie or lines to thread. When you break camp, you just pack it as is. The only other fuss is shortening the guyline with a marlinspike hitch if you want to plant your stakes in close.
    - Dylan

    “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.”
    ― John Gierach

  2. #22
    Syb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    1,638
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Overkill?!?!? It's a stake tied to a line tied to a tarp. There are no gadgets or extra lines or loops. You just pull out your tarp, push in your stakes, and tighten if necessary. No knots to tie or lines to thread. When you break camp, you just pack it as is. The only other fuss is shortening the guyline with a marlinspike hitch if you want to plant your stakes in close.
    Don't make Dylan angry. You won't like him when he's angry
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

  3. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    32
    Sounds like someone has spent a lot of time thinking up a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Still, each to his own. As you say, it is simply fun to play with gear and tweak systems.

  4. #24
    optimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Posts
    1,416
    Some neat ideas for sure. But it does seem like it's over complicating something as simple as a guyline.
    It's only an addiction if your trying to quit

  5. #25
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Exit 5, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL or 1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    284
    Images
    1
    I guess I don't understand the need for nonconstructive negative posts just to say you think efforts were wasted. If you don't think this setup is useful, then don't use it. When people have something to add, or a suggestions for improvement, or speciffic comments as to what exactly is unnecessary, this forum adds a lot good information. But I don't think there is anything to gain by simply making commnets that it's overkill, overdone, over thought or over-whatever, without any other substance. That's the kind of response that discourages the open sharing of ideas.

    I happen to think that buying and adding a plastic linelock when a knot will do the trick (and is just as fast and easy to adjust in this case) may be overdoing it. HYOH and tie your own guylines.
    - Dylan

    “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.”
    ― John Gierach

  6. #26
    MrTiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NO*GAS, NC
    Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    Posts
    768
    I, personally, can't wait to try it. This is the exact technique I've been pondering and SYB made it VERY easy for me to visualize it. Thanks ya'll!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Moxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    Posts
    107
    Thumbs up Syb...creative and functional!!!...Cheers man!!!

  8. #28
    Syb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    1,638
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I guess I don't understand the need for nonconstructive negative posts just to say you think efforts were wasted. If you don't think this setup is useful, then don't use it. When people have something to add, or a suggestions for improvement, or speciffic comments as to what exactly is unnecessary, this forum adds a lot good information. But I don't think there is anything to gain by simply making commnets that it's overkill, overdone, over thought or over-whatever, without any other substance. That's the kind of response that discourages the open sharing of ideas.

    I happen to think that buying and adding a plastic linelock when a knot will do the trick (and is just as fast and easy to adjust in this case) may be overdoing it. HYOH and tie your own guylines.
    I told you not to make him angry

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiles View Post
    I, personally, can't wait to try it. This is the exact technique I've been pondering and SYB made it VERY easy for me to visualize it. Thanks ya'll!
    No worries. Again, Dylan showed this to me and it got my brain going. After tinkering I realized the ease and simplicity. Good luck with it and of course, pics are needed when you set up the tarp with your new guylines.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Thumbs up Syb...creative and functional!!!...Cheers man!!!
    Thanks Moxie.

    I do sense it's time for me to make a video. Don't worry, I won't show my teeth. But perhaps for the benefit of HF, I'll show how much time it takes from start to finish for the "Dylan", the "Opie" (prussik/tarp tensioner) and the system ^shane^ uses.

    Is a video side by side by side comparison of the three systems of any use? What do you guys and gals think?
    All right, Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my closeup
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

  9. #29
    Member gates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SE PA
    Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Posts
    53
    Images
    10
    Purdy, Syb. Glad I didn't see this one before I went to bed! It IS fun to play with gear!

    I can see the easy on/off with the larks head top, but not the bottom knot so I'm wondering if you leave the stakes attached when you pack up or not. I'm interested in how you find working with them - maybe I'll get to see them at the next hang. Thanks for posting the pics & instrux.

  10. #30
    Syb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    1,638
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by gates View Post
    Purdy, Syb. Glad I didn't see this one before I went to bed! It IS fun to play with gear!

    I can see the easy on/off with the larks head top, but not the bottom knot so I'm wondering if you leave the stakes attached when you pack up or not. I'm interested in how you find working with them - maybe I'll get to see them at the next hang. Thanks for posting the pics & instrux.
    Gates! Glad to hear from you! I don't leave my stakes attached. I swap them out with a poncho tarp now. I leave the rest of the guyline attached to each tarp and just move the stakes when necessary. I have about an 8" continuous loop that is larksheaded to the tarp guyline. I take the other end of the loop and larkshead it to the stake like you see in the pics.

    If you're heading to MAHHA you can see the setup there.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •