Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    eagleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    305
    Images
    11

    Hiking SNP 4/22 thru 4/30

    Starting to plan my annual spring At hike. Looking at hiking Rockfish Gap to Front Royal over 8 days. So far am solo,( my normal hiking buddy is headed to Philmont for 2 weeks this year ) if anyone is interested let me know. I know there are a lot HF members in that area, so any info on camps, shuttles, must see or do places would be great.

  2. #2
    Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    1,808
    Images
    51
    April 30 - May 1st is the MAHHA get together just a bit North of there on the AT at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Most of that live in the area will be there.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28086

    I've done the hike you are planning twice. Great time. The waysides will be open, which means you can keep your pack light and resupply throughout the park. The stores are a little pricey, but not too bad. They make an awesome blackberry milkshake! I'm waiting for the season to open (April) to go back and get one!

  3. #3
    eagleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    305
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    April 30 - May 1st is the MAHHA get together just a bit North of there on the AT at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Most of that live in the area will be there.
    If I finished early I was thinking on heading up that way for a day or 2. I've got to figure out how to park at Front Royal and get to Rockfish Gap tho.

    I've done the hike you are planning twice. Great time. The waysides will be open, which means you can keep your pack light and resupply throughout the park. The stores are a little pricey, but not too bad. They make an awesome blackberry milkshake! I'm waiting for the season to open (April) to go back and get one!
    I've heard about these waysides and milkshakes I'll have to find out where they are tho.

  4. #4
    Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    1,808
    Images
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    I've heard about these waysides and milkshakes I'll have to find out where they are tho.
    There's Loft Mountain, which I came across the morning of day 2 of both my hikes. Big Meadows, which was day 3 lunch, and Elkwallow - day 4 supper. I averaged 20-25 miles/day both times.

    The only other issue would be water in the beginning. There's a shelter just a few miles from Rockfish Gap with a spring. Then it's something like 16 miles to the next shelter that has a questionable spring. April ought to be ok, but I carried a little extra H2O both times through there. I like to drink a lot, especially with the pace I was keeping.

    Have your camera ready too. You should see a few bears. I saw 7 when I went thru in July 2 years ago. They don't stick around, so you have to be quick if you want a picture. They've learned to be wary of visitors.

  5. #5
    eagleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    305
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    There's Loft Mountain, which I came across the morning of day 2 of both my hikes. Big Meadows, which was day 3 lunch, and Elkwallow - day 4 supper. I averaged 20-25 miles/day both times.

    The only other issue would be water in the beginning. There's a shelter just a few miles from Rockfish Gap with a spring. Then it's something like 16 miles to the next shelter that has a questionable spring. April ought to be ok, but I carried a little extra H2O both times through there. I like to drink a lot, especially with the pace I was keeping.

    Have your camera ready too. You should see a few bears. I saw 7 when I went thru in July 2 years ago. They don't stick around, so you have to be quick if you want a picture. They've learned to be wary of visitors.
    Thanks Deucalion that is great info and will help with my planning.

  6. #6
    eagleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    305
    Images
    11
    Anymore info out there?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •