Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Senior Member Sunny's_Trike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sebastian, Florida
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Posts
    107
    [QUOTE=HWS;431367]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's_Trike View Post
    I think at this point in this thread, it needs to be discussed exactly what the_gr8t_waldo has in mind with referring to a 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock.

    Sunny's_Trike;, Understood!

    I hope the the_gr8t_waldo reads your updated post. I'm sure glad I did.

    Very informative thanks for sharing.
    HWS, I followed your info and researched alot. I have seen the actual M-1965 in use. The rest was thanks to google. This internet is the trick to giving information to make you look smart. When you can only barely read

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    tacoma wa.
    Posts
    289
    thank you sunny for the education. i didn't realize that there were a few hammocks during the vn era. i belive the 1965 hammock is the model i recall. it was fun reading the information on it's set up , and will probably just score a reproduction some time in the next few weeks as an experiment. i'm not a collector, so the introduction of newish mat'ls to this design will be intresting

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Posts
    125
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    ...i'm not a collector, so the introduction of newish mat'ls to this design will be intresting
    Speaking of which

    I needs some help from folks who still own either the genuine WW2 canvas jungle hammocks or the Vietnam-era M1965 (bug net and rain canopy) jungle hammocks.

    Specifically I'm after the flat dimensions for the hammock body, the flat dimensions of the rain canopy, the height of the mosquito netting, and if possible the location of the darts in the canvas WW2 model. Any assist would be greatly appreciated and would help in a forthcoming DIY thread on building the classic military jungle hammock.

    I've played with the Rothco and Fox knockoffs and they fail at being hammocks - way too short and narrow even for me, and I'm not a big guy. I have it on good authority these knock-off "Army/GI style" hammocks were sized for children or Laotian Jungle Pygmies.

    I have the info on the original materials used for both the WW2 "Hammock, Jungle, Complete" and for the Vietnam M1965 Jungle Hammock and I wish to DIY one or both to the original specs as well as one out of oxford nylon, no-see-um net and silnylon with amsteel and webbing for the suspension - just need the dimensions.

    For the record, I'm nowhere near being a hammock noob - I'm an habitual HH user and have been for a decade this year, so this playing around with the grandaddy jungle hammocks is more of a sewing and design experiment than anything else. I was too young for the army surplus ones when they were common.

  4. #24
    Senior Member bhinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg Mb
    Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Posts
    345
    Images
    8
    I found some new ones at an arm Surpluse store
    Here in Winnipeg MB Canada think it was just around $50.00
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    Speaking of which

    I needs some help from folks who still own either the genuine WW2 canvas jungle hammocks or the Vietnam-era M1965 (bug net and rain canopy) jungle hammocks.

    Specifically I'm after the flat dimensions for the hammock body, the flat dimensions of the rain canopy, the height of the mosquito netting, and if possible the location of the darts in the canvas WW2 model. Any assist would be greatly appreciated and would help in a forthcoming DIY thread on building the classic military jungle hammock.

    I've played with the Rothco and Fox knockoffs and they fail at being hammocks - way too short and narrow even for me, and I'm not a big guy. I have it on good authority these knock-off "Army/GI style" hammocks were sized for children or Laotian Jungle Pygmies.

    I have the info on the original materials used for both the WW2 "Hammock, Jungle, Complete" and for the Vietnam M1965 Jungle Hammock and I wish to DIY one or both to the original specs as well as one out of oxford nylon, no-see-um net and silnylon with amsteel and webbing for the suspension - just need the dimensions.

    For the record, I'm nowhere near being a hammock noob - I'm an habitual HH user and have been for a decade this year, so this playing around with the grandaddy jungle hammocks is more of a sewing and design experiment than anything else. I was too young for the army surplus ones when they were common.
    I am also a long-time HH user. If you remember the story Tom Hennessy tells, he fell in love with hammocks because he had a GI Jungle hammock as a boy. It is possible that he has the information you are looking for. It's worth an email, anyway.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Posts
    125
    Images
    46
    Thanks for your help guys. I ended up contacting a collector and getting the dimensions I needed. @DavyRay, years ago Tom Hennessy lent his WW2 model to someone who didn't give it back, which is why he started out making hammocks in the first place - he wanted to recreate the military jungle hammock in lighter-weight materials. He did this from memory and then evolved it into the HH we all now know and most of us love.

    Here's an interesting bit of trivia - the specification for the Vietnam Jungle Hammock, the M-1965, was cancelled in 1999. Commercial hammocks with the same design were substituted- that means the Fox and Rothco jungle hammock knock-offs were given an NSN (national stock no.) and were procured as a commercial off the shelf item. Don't tell the surplus stores or they'll start advertising them as Genuine Issue and they'd be right These abominations are now in the US military supply chain - poor *******s.

    Enterprising US manufacturers could easily garner the DOD market for the jungle hammock simply by using the specified military materials in the Specs with their own design so long as the finished product met operational combat needs. The last tender document I found was dated 2006 and called for 2000 hammocks, so there is still a requirement for them.

    I'm working up some drawings of the WW2 jungle hammock before I go about recreating one in canvas duck and rubberised cotton. I'll make a thread in the DIY section.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    437
    You have done some great work. I expect that the specs for the various jungle hammocks exist somewhere. If you find the documents, or get the measurements from the original items, we will owe you a debt.

    Thanks.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

  8. #28
    Senior Member zukiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL 2Q zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Te-wa standard
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Posts
    1,133
    Images
    6

    Bad Timing

    I just gave away a M-1965 hammock to another HF member. This was a garage sale find from maybe 10 years ago that got me interested in hammock camping. The unfortunate thing was they're kind of short, heavy, and somewhat unstable. I guess I should really say I got into hammock camping "in spite of" that hammock rather than "because of" it.

    Go with something new and run far away from the surplus models unless you're just wanting to use one for the sake of nostalgia. The new ones are lighter, stronger, more comfortable, and have lots of features never even imagined by designers 50 years ago.

  9. #29
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,102
    My friend down in Cussetta GA thought hers looked great....but it dropped her and she broke her tail bone (and she's tiny, all of 125 lbs). She only did one hang and can't be convinced to try again no matter what her husband and I try to tell her. She was so bad that it laid her up the entire summer, and it cut into her income, as she is a dance instructor.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Posts
    125
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I just gave away a M-1965 hammock to another HF member. This was a garage sale find from maybe 10 years ago that got me interested in hammock camping. The unfortunate thing was they're kind of short, heavy, and somewhat unstable. I guess I should really say I got into hammock camping "in spite of" that hammock rather than "because of" it.

    Go with something new and run far away from the surplus models unless you're just wanting to use one for the sake of nostalgia. The new ones are lighter, stronger, more comfortable, and have lots of features never even imagined by designers 50 years ago.
    I'm a Hennessy Hammock user from way back - my current HH ULBA was my first hammock ever, and I've yet to find a better one for lightweight hiking and actual tropical rainforest use.

    There's no WAY I'd want to lug around a canvas or even a nylon military jungle hammock. I'm in it for the nostalgia and for the history. After all, these too short, too heavy, too unstable military hammocks are literally the granddaddy of the current crop of high performance, modern elevated sleep systems. Like you zuki, most folks on these forums got their first taste of hanging in a mil hammock. That makes them mighty

    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    You have done some great work. I expect that the specs for the various jungle hammocks exist somewhere. If you find the documents, or get the measurements from the original items, we will owe you a debt.

    Thanks.
    Thanks DavyRay, I've got the specs for M-1965 hammock here and I'll post 'em in the new thread with my drawings.

    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    My friend down in Cussetta GA thought hers looked great....but it dropped her and she broke her tail bone (and she's tiny, all of 125 lbs). She only did one hang and can't be convinced to try again no matter what her husband and I try to tell her. She was so bad that it laid her up the entire summer, and it cut into her income, as she is a dance instructor.
    Ouch. Can't trust antique suspension ropes. No wonder your friend isn't into hammocks. I've been dropped once in my Hennessy in the past decade and that was because I chose a dead tree in the middle of a rainy forest on a moonless night with just a crappy single LED flashlight - nearly pulled it down on top of me.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •