Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Spinn
    Insulation
    HG Summer Inc.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    How about an overnighter off Sunrise highway? I found a "backpacking" area that's 300 yds off the road... It'd be a good practice... also a lot closer and better weather than the desert in spring... Heck, anybody can join us...

Where in so-cal are you?

There are a couple of campgrounds off sunrise at Mt. Laguna, there might be others but I have only ridden that road once. I motorcycle camp so backpacking & hiking are not my style. Most of the people on this forum are backpackers & hikers but a couple of us mc campers have snuck in.....

I live in Long Beach but have no problem with Sunrise as a camp spot. It just makes a really long day ride.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    There are a couple of campgrounds off sunrise at Mt. Laguna, there might be others but I have only ridden that road once. I motorcycle camp so backpacking & hiking are not my style. Most of the people on this forum are backpackers & hikers but a couple of us mc campers have snuck in.....

I live in Long Beach but have no problem with Sunrise as a camp spot. It just makes a really long day ride.
    If we can find a spot to hang that's car friendly, I'm good with that, too. We could leave your bike somewhere safer than trail-side. We could also make it more centrally located so you don't do all the driving... Once this storm clears, the weather should be good enough to do a successful trip... I don't know where we'd go north of San Diego county, but I'm sure we could set something up... Heck, that might even turn into a group hang. My biggest issue is locally, there are rules against tying anything to a tree...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Shoulder Pain

So, I couldn't wait... I spent Friday night in the Bird in my back yard. Conditions were moderate (50 degrees)... I originally wanted to go lefty, but based on other's experiences, bought the righty...

I hung my AHE Lost River, and used a piece of reflectix between the layers for my feet/legs, and threw my poncho liner over the top like a BBO.

I didn't hang the foot end quite high enough, so I had some calf pressure that I managed by bending my left knee.

I was pretty comfy in "righty" mode for a while, but there was pressure on my right-shoulder I didn't anticipate. The tendancy, it seemed, was for me to lean just a bit to the right side. I have an old rotator cuff injury that causes me to sleep on my left side. I awoke at 5am with my right shoulder in pain, also with a cold butt. Since I don't have any help at home with the hammock, I'm thinking I had the UQ too loose or too tight, but I'm not sure, as I've slept before with my KAQ without any CBS issues. (Though I am a very cold sleeper...)

I'm thinking I need to pass along my 1.0DL righty and order a lefty, or go back to my diy hammock. (Which I napped in Sunday afternoon just to make sure I wasn't having issues...)

Input appreciated...

John

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Keeping it...

Based on some PM'd advice (thanks, Syb!) I tried it again. I put the feet higher, this time. I also used some PE foam between the layers for a foot and butt insulator.

I adjusted my UQ a bit, and began to read... I dropped the kindle on the shelf... (Love that shelf...!) and passed out. I didn't wake up until 7am when those pesky birds woke me up... I'm guessing it got down into the 40's last night, which is about as cold as I expect to sleep in my BB, so I'm pretty happy.

I have to say I slept pretty well, and was quite warm with my Poncho liner as a cover. Now to lighten the load: time to make a DIY BBO.

Looks like my righty BB is a keeper. My shoulder hurts, but not much more than it has for the past 2 years... hmm... probably time to get that surgery done...

John

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    That's great news John!