Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member BEAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Posts
    498
    Images
    21

    Savage Gulf Wed 23rd- Sat 26th.

    I am planning on being at Savage Gulf backpacking this Wed afternoon and coming out Sat morning if any one is interested.
    That being said anyone wann give me the skinny on best option for a loop or out and back. I will not have any way of doing a shuttle. Most likely any where from the 25ish to the 35ish.

    Many thanks
    Beas
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,120
    there are a few loops you can do.

    If you start at Collins West or Savage Falls Ranger Station you can do a loop without having to backtrack. Here is a link to a map which will help

    http://www.friendsofscsra.org/images...compressed.jpg
    There are times that the only way you can do something is alone that waiting on the convenience of others means that a lot of opportunities will pass you by
    Spirit Walker

    Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool. ― Mark Twain

    Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

  3. #3
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    I am planning on being at Savage Gulf backpacking this Wed afternoon and coming out Sat morning if any one is interested.
    That being said anyone wann give me the skinny on best option for a loop or out and back. I will not have any way of doing a shuttle. Most likely any where from the 25ish to the 35ish.

    Many thanks
    Beas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    there are a few loops you can do.

    If you start at Collins West or Savage Falls Ranger Station you can do a loop without having to backtrack. Here is a link to a map which will help

    http://www.friendsofscsra.org/images...compressed.jpg

    I agree with Ewker. Those trail heads would make the best loops. Vehicle may be safer at the Savage Falls Ranger Station.

    I should work....I could go hiking......I really should work........perfect weather Thursday........a little rain on Friday.......I should work........Spring Break for the wife and kid..........could I get by with taking off work for hiking but not Spring Break...........wife is really good about these type decisions.....I should work......wife just laughed when she saw this..... I really should work.......

  4. #4
    Senior Member BEAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Posts
    498
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I agree with Ewker. Those trail heads would make the best loops. Vehicle may be safer at the Savage Falls Ranger Station.

    I should work....I could go hiking......I really should work........perfect weather Thursday........a little rain on Friday.......I should work........Spring Break for the wife and kid..........could I get by with taking off work for hiking but not Spring Break...........wife is really good about these type decisions.....I should work......wife just laughed when she saw this..... I really should work.......
    Thought you might reply...... I promise the video is coming. It has been shot twice but had a few editing issues. Actually sent it to youtube once and it failed for some reason.

    If nothing else I will get some pics up and a review. Like the web site by the way.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

  5. #5
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    Thought you might reply...... I promise the video is coming. It has been shot twice but had a few editing issues. Actually sent it to youtube once and it failed for some reason.

    If nothing else I will get some pics up and a review. Like the web site by the way.
    Important thing is that it keeps him warm!

    In the Savage Gulf you have to give the rangers a trip plan with the campsites you intend to use. If you decide where you are going to stay Thursday and Friday night PM me. Never know some crazy wild eyed axe murderer may show up or just some crazy hammock guy

    BTW the rangers do check camp sites on a regular basis. They did not check on us when it was snowing and 2* though

  6. #6
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Hammock
    Modified HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,102
    Images
    7

    Thumbs up

    Stone Door Ranger Station is another good place to start and has plenty of parking. With 4 days to hike, you could easily do a big loop from there, too. Others have already given other good suggestions. You can't go wrong at Savage Gulf.

    Rain Man

    .
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods
    .

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •