Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies

how to cut the ripstop for a tarp

It is too late for me now, I've already cut one side of the tarp....

but when using the ripstop with the little boxes, should you cut the ridgeline with the grain, or on the diagnal? Would cutting on the diagnal give a better stretch? I cut along the lines to assure a straight cut, hope I did it right
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I cut mine the same way you did. There is significantly less stretch along the ripstop lines than there is on the diagonal. You can take a piece of scrap and pull it in your hands and tell the difference. You can even tell when pulling it through the sewing machine.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops
    Thats how I do it. Not only does cutting along the lines give you a great cutting guide, it also squares up the fabric. Strength has never been an issue doing it this way. Now if you want to make it a cat-cut, that is a different story. The way I made mine was to first square up the fabric to the dimensions you want it to be. take some poster board and tape it onto the wall and make sure its level. decide where you want your curve to be it's deepest and make a mark right in the middle. Take two thumbtacks and stick them into the board where the corners of your tarp edge would go, then hang some string between the thumb tacks with enough sag to hit the mark you made for your curve depth. carefully tape the string to the board and mark the resulting curve with a sharpie ...... you know what, i can't explain it well. take a look at this...

http://www.teamgunnparker.com/blackc...#_Toc173479851

Hope that doesn't muddy the waters!

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I cut mine the same way you did. There is significantly less stretch along the ripstop lines than there is on the diagonal. You can take a piece of scrap and pull it in your hands and tell the difference. You can even tell when pulling it through the sewing machine.
    I'll second what Mike said.
    Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished product.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Well that is how Ive started, and am excited to get it finished. It is grey, and I bought black ripstop for the reinforced corners. I'm not going to edge with the grosgrain, just roll em up.

Should I use a thinner needle to sew it? Ive never done ripstop, and it seems so fragile!
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I usually use a size 12 needle for ripstop, but sometimes use a 10 if I feel like it. Use whatever size you feel comfortable with.
    I can empathize, I felt the exact same way when I first started sewing 1.1 ripstop!

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
    Should I use a thinner needle to sew it? Ive never done ripstop, and it seems so fragile!
    As you will soon find out, ripstop may be fragile as compared to 1000 D ballistic nylon packcloth, but it is a very durable fabric. It will survive some very rough handling. Needle size is one of those mysteries that people overly fixate IMO. I like a big needle because I can't see to thread the tiny little eyes. However, if you use a larger needle you have to keep it very sharp as it is more likely to punch the fabric down into the throat plate. This is especially true if you are using a "universal" point rather than the older "sharp" styles. But as far as a "right or wrong" it is not important. As long as the stitches are good it really doesn't matter. IMO. Unless of course you are doing commercial work. Then you need to check with the industry standards. But for your own personal choice... whatever you are comfortable with.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts