MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Te-wa standard
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Images

Free toggles (almost)

HF,
    Several years ago I was volunteering with a scout troop who had "inherited" a bunch of junky tents. I built as many complete tents as I could from the bits and pieces but ended up with tons of leftover aluminum poles.

I've been dragging these things around trying to find a good use for them. Now that I've converted to hammocking and using toggles the lightbulb finally went on.

So, I've got a couple dozen pole sections in two sizes that seem to make some very nice toggles. The first is approximately 5/16" diameter and has a black anodized finish. The others are silver in color (not sure of a coating) and about 5/8" in diameter. Both seem to make nice toggles and so far I haven't had any failures.

Since this is basically free material and it only takes a few minutes to cut/polish the ends I can't justify trying to put these in the PIF. So here's what I can do. Shoot me a PM letting me know how many and what size/length you want. I'll send you my address and in return you'll mail me a self addressed stamped envelope.

Please be nice and don't ask for a dozen. I can only knock these out after my kids go to bed and I have a few minutes to myself. If you want a hole drilled for a tether please let me know the specifics (through one side or both).

I haven't tried to mail these yet but the small ones in the photo weigh just shy of 4 grams and the larger ones are 12g. I'm pretty sure a couple of pairs will go in an envelope and still be under 1 oz (first class mail).

I'll keep this running until I get tired of making them or run out of material. If someone just wants a few sections of the tubing to make their own it's basically the same setup. Let me know what you want and send me the shipping/materials and I'll drop it in the mail.

Enjoy....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zukiguy; 04-03-2011 at 17:04. Reason: typos

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    Homemade Poncho UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    That's awesome of you. I would love 2 if possible. Smaller diameter would be great. Not sure on the length. Does 3 inches sound normal, or i can let you decide what you think is the right length. I also don't need holes, I can do that and save you time.
    Thanks again, Karl.
    AKA Coconut Pete

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL 2Q zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Te-wa standard
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Images

Another size

I was digging around the shed today and found a 3rd size of tubing I'd forgotten about. This one is 1/2" in diameter. I'm not sure of the coating since it's silver like the larger stuff.

So, total I've got 5/16" in black (dome tent poles, made to flex), 1/2" in silver, and 5/8" in silver. Same instructions as above still apply.

Images
    Zukiguy!

Thanks for the toggles; they are nice looking. I'll be passing 2 pairs on to some deserving scouts.

-Mike