Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member SpaceCadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    300
    Images
    6

    DIY sleeping bag to UQ conversion

    I just had this idea and I wanted to share it. I'm think about taking my old $15 walmart sleepingbag that i've had since forever and adding some brass grommets onto it.



    I'm thinking one on each corner and using some bungee cord to hook it to my whoopie slings. maybe one in the middle on each side and I can hook that around to my ridge line. Granted I haven't watched any videos on hanging UQs so I'll watch a few before I start the work.

    I know it won't be as good as an actually UQ but it'll be a whole lot cheaper. Has anyone done something like this? Any suggestion, comments, questions or criticisms?
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rjcress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central NC
    Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    762
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    I just had this idea and I wanted to share it. I'm think about taking my old $15 walmart sleepingbag that i've had since forever and adding some brass grommets onto it.

    I'm thinking one on each corner and using some bungee cord to hook it to my whoopie slings. maybe one in the middle on each side and I can hook that around to my ridge line. Granted I haven't watched any videos on hanging UQs so I'll watch a few before I start the work.

    I know it won't be as good as an actually UQ but it'll be a whole lot cheaper. Has anyone done something like this? Any suggestion, comments, questions or criticisms?
    Cool idea.
    I'm not sure how long grommets will last without pulling out.
    Here is how I did my easy sleeping bag to UQ conversion:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-sleeping-bag/

    Post pics of whatever you do.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

    My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

  3. #3
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Cool idea.
    I'm not sure how long grommets will last without pulling out.
    +1 on that!!

    Grograin loops, I think, would last longer.

    I made one myself. I cut the zipper and hood off and injected some grograin around it. But the next (for my daughters) I will use rjcress's idea, with a few changes.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Posts
    1
    Hi! I'm new to hammock camping and I attempted rjcress's sleeping bag to underquilt and when I hook it to the ridgeline it's too tight and I can't lay diagonally...any suggestions? I'm guessing I made it too short or need to move the loops out farther...

  5. #5
    Senior Member SpaceCadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    300
    Images
    6
    I KNEW I couldn't have been to first to come up with the idea. MY first Idea was to sew on d-rings
    .
    I might go with that over the grommets
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rjcress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central NC
    Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    762
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    I KNEW I couldn't have been to first to come up with the idea.
    Ha!
    We were discussing various ideas for making hammock bug nets, with some even making little models to show their ideas. Getting some really innovative stuff... or so we thought.
    Someone posted a US Patent filed in 1906 that showed a nearly identical idea to what had evolved during our discussion.

    People have been around for MILLIONS of years. There can't be too many "never been thought of before" ideas left.

    But who knows... your grommets idea may be a winner, or it may not work out as planned. Won't know until you try.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

    My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

  7. #7
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    Brass grommets have been known to slice and dice the fabric they are installed in. Not my first choice. In fact I don't use grommets on my gear at all. Fabric tabs or d-rings serve better IMO. I've made two underquilts from sleeping bags. They are not the best as they can be quite heavy. The loft is often compromised by age. But they are cheap and serviceable if you take those limitations in account.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  8. #8
    Senior Member SpaceCadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    300
    Images
    6
    MY question RJ is why did you open the sleeping bag up, sew in the middle and then fold it up, instead of just sewing on the corners with it zipped up?
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

  9. #9
    Senior Member rjcress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central NC
    Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    762
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    MY question RJ is why did you open the sleeping bag up, sew in the middle and then fold it up, instead of just sewing on the corners with it zipped up?
    Because the width can be increased by pulling the sides out way from the middle if the occupant is a diagonal sleeper. My son does it that way, and lays a blanket in the gap that is created so he doesn't get a cold spot.
    My girls sleep right down the middle and don't pull the sides of theirs out.

    I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. and it only takes a minute to add a grosgrain loop. Why don't you try it both ways and report which works best?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

    My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

  10. #10
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Because the width can be increased by pulling the sides out way from the middle if the occupant is a diagonal sleeper. My son does it that way, and lays a blanket in the gap that is created so he doesn't get a cold spot.
    My girls sleep right down the middle and don't pull the sides of theirs out.

    I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. and it only takes a minute to add a grosgrain loop. Why don't you try it both ways and report which works best?
    As I was reading your post, this is exactly what I was thinking,
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •