Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Do you mean me?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It's nice to see someone doing it right as I feel some styles are getting dangerously under built lately..
    I'm guessing you are referring to my build, and in particular the footing arrangement. I must admit this gave me some concern but I adopted this design so that I could demount the stand into manageable pieces for storage and transportation. Seems to be sturdy enough tho, so long as the nuts are screwed down tight.

Aisledog
    [I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean people aren't out to get me!]

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    It is a great stand, however you will run into an issue when pitching a tarp. Since the hammock causes the main beams to draw inward because of the strain it will cause slack in your tarp ridge line.
    I use bungees on the tarp and this seems to keep it taut.

Aisledog

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    I tried using bungees but it didn't seem to make it taut enough
    16S/3873805/0669292

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    I have (6) 4x4x8' and (2) 4x6x8' pressure treated lumber leftover from a fence project.

Any idea on how I could make these into a stand? I guess I'll need a LOT of threaded rod...

I'm a little late to the party on this. I see that this thread has been going and ongoing for quite some time. But also, that reflects some of the great utility of this site. I'm new here, and have been a decades long backpacker and have gotten into getting off the ground this year. I began considering it last season, but thought I would ease into the hammock revolution. Well, you really cant. Once you buy a hammock, you immediately need a bottom quilt, and a bug net is not something you want to do without. Then of course is the tarp, the suspension....

So a friend of mine went full hog into the Hammock, and I have been using this site to gain my knowledge. Thanks so much for it all. I am a lurker myself, not really commenting, just reading and absorbing.

So I have my personal setup for backpacking, and we actually have a short trip planned with a group of people; this creates a problem, where my wife will sleep, who does not have a setup. I decided rather than sleep on the ground on this one trip, I would go for an ENO doublenest Deluxe, and the guardian bug sheild. And to keep things simple, I've got straps and Warbonnet D rings on the way also. This setup allows me to use my existing mambajamba tarp (that I got for my solo trips) on the doublewide with superwife.

Which brings me back to this thread. I needed a place to setup, so I could fine tune my solo rig, and also the doublewide rig. The last thing you would want is to go up in the woods for a few days and not have your system down and dialed in. And I don't have any trees.

So suffice it to say that I just finished my wooden hammock stand from the plans on this thread. Thanks so much. It works really well. Me and superwife got in the Eno Doublewide in the stand last night, with my current solo underquilt, and a old square cut sleeping bag for a top quilt. It was really comfortable and sturdy and held our combined 300 pounds no problem. We were also warm while it was a chilly 42 degrees. I am going to get a wheel on it soon, and am going to stain it today. It will become the definitive back patio furniture piece. I have a tablecloth on the way that I'm going to set up and leave up for simple patio enjoyment when not tweaking my Backpacking or Double wide system.

Thanks again so much for all the insight on this thread and others. I have a picture, but I can't seem to get it to upload here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoj...in/photostream
    Last edited by Easygojoe; 02-24-2013 at 10:27.

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    $81 at Home Depot and one evening of work. Maybe a beer and a half. I used all 2x6 and did a 10 foot base to give me right at 14.5 feet from eye to eye. This is a sweet stand! Thank you all so much for the design and ideas and feedback on your experiences.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    North Face Snowsho
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Many thanks to nick.johannessen and aisledog for the pictures and idea!

I just finished two new hammock stands and tested them this weekend with my lovely wife. All 2x4's were taken from my wood pile and I already had all the hardware. The best was custom galvanized support brackets (I only had two) bolts, nuts and washers from burned up power poles across the road during the 2007 wildfire. All-in-all my out-of-pocket was about $20 for the Eyebolts and a drill bit for both stands. The stands are rock solid. To finish I will ad a lawnmower wheel on one end so it can be moved around like a giant wheel barrow.

Here is a picture and you can see more in my Gallery.

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Very nice! Great views for backyard camping too. I'm jealous, I just have the glowing light rom the KFC behind me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    Before I get started on this great project I need to ask how many of you are hanging a WBBB from it? There was some discussion at the beginning of the thread about possibly needing modification to hang one. Has this been confirmed?

Thanks

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Great looking stand. Think I might have enough wood laying around to build one!

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast