Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Seeking Sipsey information

I know I started a similar post some months back, but I cannot find it, and I have some more specific questions about the Sipsey, having never been there.

I have found several different online references and maps of the Sipsey Wilderness are and trails, but of those of you who are familiare with the area, what can you tell me about campsites along the trail and stream/river crossings?

First, I am looking for a good campsite within a mile or two of a trailhead, one which would be easy to pick out at night. We will be arriving well after dark and would like to get away from the parking lot, at least 1/2 to an hour.

Second, are there established bridges along the trails in the wilderness, or is it required to ford the streams and rivers?

We will be a small group of boy scouts (8 max including adults) on Memorial Day weekend. Any advice you can offer about "crowds" in addition to trails is welcome. We are looking at doing about 20ish miles. I have several possible routes in this range from multiple trail heads.

Thanks in advance....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Thompson Creek TH

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

First, I am looking for a good campsite within a mile or two of a trailhead, one which would be easy to pick out at night. We will be arriving well after dark and would like to get away from the parking lot, at least 1/2 to an hour.

Second, are there established bridges along the trails in the wilderness, or is it required to ford the streams and rivers?

We will be a small group of boy scouts (8 max including adults) on Memorial Day weekend. Any advice you can offer about "crowds" in addition to trails is welcome. We are looking at doing about 20ish miles. I have several possible routes in this range from multiple trail heads.
    Memorial Day weekend, you're not going to be alone by any stretch and you might have to compete for spots for a group that size, but I'll say this: there's an excellent spot just off the 206 (Thompson Creek) that's very easy to find. In fact, most people find it by accident when they fail to cross the creek about a 1/4 mile off the trailhead. Where the trail first crosses the creek, if you instead keep heading parallel, you'll end up on the White Oak Hollow trail. Not very far from there is a nice open spot by the creek with a couple of trees worth hanging from and plenty of room for tents. It's a great location as there is a creek right there, it's easy to get back to the 206, or head the opposite direction toward Bee Branch and the largest tree in Alabama.

As for bridges, there aren't any that I recall. It's a true wilderness in that there aren't any real improvements after you get past the trailhead. With that said, barring massive rains, you shouldn't have any issues with crossings.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    BCUSA Tarp
    Insulation
    FAT!!!
    Suspension
    WhoooopieS
    Navigator just got back from Sipsey. He made a post about it with a video link to youtube. Might want to pm him.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I can answer questions you have about any part of Sipsey (including off-trail).

Which trailhead are you hiking from?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Spent last weekend at Sipsey. Arrived Friday night around 9:30 at Thompson Creek TH. Group of six scout leaders. Parking was crowded but were able to stay at the White Hollow campsite mentioned above. Plenty of campsites along the creek and there were plenty of hammocks. No bridges, just ford the streams.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Suburban,
    Thanks for that. Is the Whitehollow campsite accessible without having to ford the stream? We don't want to do any stream crossing at night as we will be arriving late.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, the Whiteoak site requires no crossings.

To get there, just follow Thompson Creek trail until it comes to the first stream, and instead of crossing, turn left (upstream) for a short distance.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WM Megalite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I spend as many weekends as I can in Sipsey. Angrysparrow's suggestion is a good one for a spot that might still be available in the evening.

There are also a couple of decent sized spots just inside the 200 from the Borden trailhead and less people seem to start at Borden than at the TC trailhead

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, the Whiteoak site requires no crossings.

To get there, just follow Thompson Creek trail until it comes to the first stream, and instead of crossing, turn left (upstream) for a short distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaurus View Post
    I spend as many weekends as I can in Sipsey. Angrysparrow's suggestion is a good one for a spot that might still be available in the evening.

There are also a couple of decent sized spots just inside the 200 from the Borden trailhead and less people seem to start at Borden than at the TC trailhead

Thanks to you both for the ideas. The scouts will be deciding where to go. I will print and copy your responses. Personally, I have come up with 6 or 7 different plans from 5 different trail heads. I had not yet considered Borden TH. I will look into that.

How does it look campsite wise going from Borden TH up 207 or 224 a short distance?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    How does it look campsite wise going from Borden TH up 207 or 224 a short distance?
    There are no camps on 224 until past the turnoff to 204. But, there are numerous campsites around Borden on the other trails.

Borden Trailhead has a concrete bridge across the creek. And there is an unofficial trail along the west side of the creek that parallels 200, leading to the Sipsey River (209) trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast