Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Windshield Screens..which brand is better

I have been looking for the reflective windshield car screens discussed here on the forum for a while and just now finding them in stock (guess because summer is coming). Have read about using them as a pad and was looking for something light weight and compact for summer time use.

Picked up one at the local Dollar Tree store (for a dollor of course) and one at Wallyworld (got the jumbo size) for $5. As expected the one from Wallyword feels heavy and better made.

Does anyone have any real time experience on how well these work in warmer weather ( I know everyones experience will vary, just looking for some general feedback), best way to use and what brands seem to hold up best. I will be using in my BB 1.7 double
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The sort with bubbles is the only kind I would use, they're essentially reflectix with bound edges. I use the standard size under my legs and on day hikes. I've found it highly effective using it with a ccf pad or thermarest. It's my go to cure for cbs . I've been to the teens using just a thermarest and the reflector t style around my shoulders and 15* down bag, stayed perfectly warm. I always have put it under the other pad. In warmer weather I just double it under my legs, you will get a little condensation though, and use a 3/4 pad up top

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Some of the windshield sun screens have foam inside instead of just air bubbles and are more effective. That said I have used the kind that just have air bubbles and it worked fine for eliminating CBS.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I just got the one from the "Dollar Tree Store" too. haven't tried it out yet. its very thin, I would also like to hear any ideas on the difference too.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    i got a reflective pad with my dp UQ and ive heard its the one that gargoyle uses with great results

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    The Wally World reflector pad worked pretty good for me. I just got a bunch of reflectex and was thinking of making a Speer type of pad (T shape?) and trying it out this at the Mass hang.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I got mine from the dollar store. It's a multi-purpose item for me.
    Folded, it makes a dry, slightly padded sit pad. Laid out flat, you can stretch out next to the fire and not get wet legs or butt.
    For freezer bag cooking, I fold it up small and tuck my fb meal inside for a few minutes to rehydrate the meal. It traps the heat well and eliminated carrying a separate cozy just for the fb.
    I've used it under the hammock to supplement the uq. Spread it for 3/4 protection, folded and stick it under the legs for a leg pad. And I've used it on top as a quilt too.
    Condensation can be an issue with the screen used close to the body. So expect some in the morning. It dries quickly, does not absorb the water. I'll shake any condensation off and hang it to dry from the ridgeline. Usually dry in a few minutes.
    The weight and bulk and nearly negligible, its packs down small, and serves many purposes. And who can complain about the price?? $1.00.

A mod I have yet to try is slit a small head hole into the center and wear it as a poncho of sorts. Should add a nice windproof layer for colder temps.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I got mine from the dollar store. It's a multi-purpose item for me.
    Folded, it makes a dry, slightly padded sit pad. Laid out flat, you can stretch out next to the fire and not get wet legs or butt.
    For freezer bag cooking, I fold it up small and tuck my fb meal inside for a few minutes to rehydrate the meal. It traps the heat well and eliminated carrying a separate cozy just for the fb.
    I've used it under the hammock to supplement the uq. Spread it for 3/4 protection, folded and stick it under the legs for a leg pad. And I've used it on top as a quilt too.
    Condensation can be an issue with the screen used close to the body. So expect some in the morning. It dries quickly, does not absorb the water. I'll shake any condensation off and hang it to dry from the ridgeline. Usually dry in a few minutes.
    The weight and bulk and nearly negligible, its packs down small, and serves many purposes. And who can complain about the price?? $1.00.

A mod I have yet to try is slit a small head hole into the center and wear it as a poncho of sorts. Should add a nice windproof layer for colder temps.
    yes! thats what i was mentioning. dp now offers your pad in his UQ set up. he was talking very highly of you

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey clone
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Gotta treat the dollar store pads carefully as mine ripped very easily. The price is right indeed, but I personally prefer a bit more durability. Very thin and light for sure.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Veto where did you pick up your reflectex?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast