WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Sewn/Closed footbox versus open

What's your opinions regarding open footboxes (or footboxes that contain snaps or drawstrings) compared to sewn footboxes? Is there any difference in warmth? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I know that there is a thread out there regarding this. Seems that the consensus was that a sewn footbox was warmer and the snap or closure allowed for more variety -used as quilt/blanket in the morning/night, cooler in warmer months etc.

Not sure if this helps but the above mentioned thread most surely will.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Nice i was going post this exact same thing.
    There is a thread in the past discussing this but they dont give much detail into doing the footbox the different ways. Thats what would be nice to know.

I am working on my first TQ using the Karo pattern.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMad2000 View Post
    Nice i was going post this exact same thing.
    There is a thread in the past discussing this but they dont give much detail into doing the footbox the different ways. Thats what would be nice to know.

I am working on my first TQ using the Karo pattern.
    For my quilt I sewed in a 12" round disk of down-filled goodness at the bottom of the footbox. It turned out quite nicely. Gives a nice bit of room for my feet.

(I'm happy to report that as I've used the quilt its looked less and less phallic...)

I saw the drawstring approach to the footbox, but thought it would be problematic because the cinching would compress the down around the feet. Probably could get away with it for a summer or 2+ season quilt though.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The Jacks sell them both ways...sewn and OmniTape (hook and loop)...ask them about the pros/cons.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    oh i kinda like the phallic look. Makes of an interesting conversational piece.

If the bag is going to be used in the winter go with the sewn closed footbox. For 3 season its a toss up and personal preference.
    I currently use my sleeping bag as a quilts and it has a sewn footbox but during the summer time it can get a little hot.

For my quilt I was thinking of a drawstring bag since i want to use this during the summer and just drape it over me when its hot. The different ways in making the footbox i am not sure of. The snaps i am iffy about since i need to get the hardware to install them and they might damage the bag. Not really a fan of the zipper. And the ties i am a like 50/50 of.

Did i miss any of the different types?

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    What's your opinions regarding open footboxes (or footboxes that contain snaps or drawstrings) compared to sewn footboxes? Is there any difference in warmth? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks!
    I suppose the type of foot box you choose would be dependent upon a number of variables. For instance:

Is your TQ down, or synthetic? Goose down holds a lot of air, but "breaths" better than something like IX, and therefore may be more suited to a closed foot box
    Is the TQ intended for multiseasonal use or just one (winter)? In the warmer months you might want to be able to vent when necessary. In the winter this may matter less
    How much versatility or functionality do you want? You may want to use your TQ as a blanket or UQ. In this case an open style foot box may be better.
    How wide do you want the TQ to be? A narrow weight saving TQ will likely be more comfortable with a closed square/rectangle box

Lots of options to consider, that's for sure.

I just finished a double layer synthetic IX TQ. In lieu of a closed foot box, I chose a draw cord closure at the bottom with a 24 inch run of velcro to seal up behind my legs. The draw cord works great to make a completely closed foot box. I can open the whole thing up and use it as a blanket or UQ. With the draw cord I can vent as much or as little as I please (the IX is somewhat of a vapor barrier type of insulation). So far, warmth has not been a problem at all. You can always put on another pair of socks, I suppose.

good luck

• + New Posts