Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Thread and needle to use on 1.1 oz. ripstop

I scored 10 yds. of 1.1 oz ripstop in grey/green in the $1 bin at Walmart, and want to start on my project, which I'm calling the Hoop Sock (pictures will be forthcoming.) My question is, what is the best thread to use on 1.1 oz ripstop, and which needle should I use on my Singer? I'm a newbie at sewing, so it should be a fun project.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    What has been recommeded to me at sewing shops for a needle is one called a ball point. The only thread that I use on all projects if Guttermans polyester upholstery thread. It won't rot stretch or break, so good stuff. Enjoy your new sewing gear addiction mate.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

My experience is that a ball point needle is generally used on knit or more open fabrics where you need to pass between the threads, with less chance of cutting through a fiber. If the ripstop is very closely woven, a ballpoint needle might do more harm than a smaller sharp needle. Perhaps a test on some scrap material would indicate the best choice?
    HTH, Betsy

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images

Selecting the right sewing needle

You might take a gander at this:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/needle.shtml

and also here for general tips for silnylon:
    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/silnylon.asp
    Last edited by Tango61; 02-23-2008 at 21:25.

Images
    I just use the standard needle and standard poly thread. I tried uphostery thread once and it was way to thick for my taste.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Gutterman's polyester thread and I think it's a #90 needle that I use. It has a purple tip, if that helps.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post
    ) My question is, what is the best thread to use on 1.1 oz ripstop, and which needle should I use on my Singer? I'm a newbie at sewing, so it should be a fun project.
    Unless you are switching between uses, i.e., also sewing webbing on at the same time, an 80/12 sharp needle would be the best overall choice. I have often used 90/14 when also adding light webbing, but that's almost overkill and does produce a slightly larger hole in the material. Right now, I'm using the Ray-Way thread which is an excellent bonded polyester, a good all round thickness, and also on a spool that fits my Singer 15-88's thread spindle perfectly. Quest Outfitters sells a good Gutterman bonded polyester thread, if you can't find it in your local store.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 02-24-2008 at 09:40.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    A few years ago, I bought this thread from the Ray Way site along with a kit to make a quilt. Anyway this thread was awesome. It was a big spool but after serveral hammocks it eventually ran out. Around Christmas I was going to order more but Ray's site said he was out adventuring and wasn't taking orders, its called Thread Pro on Ray's site so I went to their website and ordered:

M4000 Metrocor Black 1 $ 6.00 $ 6.00
    M0020 Poly Sheen Black 1 $ 4.80 $ 4.80

(First I tried to contact them and ask, but they are absolutely terrible about responding to emails - actually they just don't respond at all period - the only email I ever got back from Thread Pro was the auto generated one when I sent them money by pay pal). Anyway, these threads are good, but neither of these is the same thread that I got from Ray (the Poly Sheen is close but its thinner than the Ray Way thread).

Ray is finally open for business again, but now he has like a $25.00 minimum order - sorry Ray, don't need that much thread. Also, while looking for the thread on his site, I start reading these "integrity" requests from Ray. Its starting to bother me, all his "integrity", don't copy this, etc. You'd think he designed the space shuttle or something. I mean the guys brilliant, I'll give your that, he revolutionized the climbing world with cams then revolutionized backpacking with the ultralight approach. So sure, sell the books, sell the tarp and quilt kits, whatever. Make as much money as you can. But saying your stealing his designs because you sew your own tarp or quilt? gimme a break - its like saying I figured out you can carry water in a 20 oz pepsi bottle, its my idea, your stealing from me if you do it and don't buy the empty pepsi bottle off me, if you get your own empty pepsi bottle then you don't have integrity?

If you buy his book, you shouldn't share it with anyone I suppose - everyone should buy their own copy so that Ray isn't cheated out of his rightful money. Thats certainly standard practice right?..uh..oh..wait...what about these things called libraries, nothing but an age old device to steal money from inventors I suppose? Thankfully no one ever asked me how I made my quilt (probably because its inherently obvious, insulation between two layers of ripstop) so my integrity might still be intact. I see he's selling a kit for a bomber hat, Geeze Ray - I hope your integrity is OK, cuz that hat looks a lot like a hood off a North Face down parka - hope you didn't steal the idea? Oh, or maybe your copied the design from the leather hats that bomber pilots wore. How brazen, not only steal the design but lift the name "bomber" as well!

OK, I'm done ranting now and probably won't be buying anything from Ray anymore - I don't want to be put in a position to be tempted to sacrifice my integrity.

But man, he sure does sell some sweeeet thread. I'd give my integrity to get my hands on some of that! (just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    A few years ago, I bought this thread from the Ray Way site along with a kit to make a quilt. Anyway this thread was awesome. It was a big spool but after serveral hammocks it eventually ran out. Around Christmas I was going to order more but Ray's site said he was out adventuring and wasn't taking orders, its called Thread Pro on Ray's site so I went to their website and ordered:

M4000 Metrocor Black 1 $ 6.00 $ 6.00
    M0020 Poly Sheen Black 1 $ 4.80 $ 4.80

(First I tried to contact them and ask, but they are absolutely terrible about responding to emails - actually they just don't respond at all period - the only email I ever got back from Thread Pro was the auto generated one when I sent them money by pay pal). Anyway, these threads are good, but neither of these is the same thread that I got from Ray (the Poly Sheen is close but its thinner than the Ray Way thread).

Ray is finally open for business again, but now he has like a $25.00 minimum order - sorry Ray, don't need that much thread. Also, while looking for the thread on his site, I start reading these "integrity" requests from Ray. Its starting to bother me, all his "integrity", don't copy this, etc. You'd think he designed the space shuttle or something. I mean the guys brilliant, I'll give your that, he revolutionized the climbing world with cams then revolutionized backpacking with the ultralight approach. So sure, sell the books, sell the tarp and quilt kits, whatever. Make as much money as you can. But saying your stealing his designs because you sew your own tarp or quilt? gimme a break - its like saying I figured out you can carry water in a 20 oz pepsi bottle, its my idea, your stealing from me if you do it and don't buy the empty pepsi bottle off me, if you get your own empty pepsi bottle then you don't have integrity?

If you buy his book, you shouldn't share it with anyone I suppose - everyone should buy their own copy so that Ray isn't cheated out of his rightful money. Thats certainly standard practice right?..uh..oh..wait...what about these things called libraries, nothing but an age old device to steal money from inventors I suppose? Thankfully no one ever asked me how I made my quilt (probably because its inherently obvious, insulation between two layers of ripstop) so my integrity might still be intact. I see he's selling a kit for a bomber hat, Geeze Ray - I hope your integrity is OK, cuz that hat looks a lot like a hood off a North Face down parka - hope you didn't steal the idea? Oh, or maybe your copied the design from the leather hats that bomber pilots wore. How brazen, not only steal the design but lift the name "bomber" as well!

OK, I'm done ranting now and probably won't be buying anything from Ray anymore - I don't want to be put in a position to be tempted to sacrifice my integrity.

But man, he sure does sell some sweeeet thread. I'd give my integrity to get my hands on some of that! (just kidding).
    Thats a great rant.

thank you,

Trav

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up Thanks for all the info

It sounds like the consensus is use a good bonded polyester thread, and needle doesn't make that big of a difference - try it and see what works best. Isn't that what all DIY projects are?

Does anyone have experience with Fibraflex poles? I see on their website that their max bend is a 30" radius, for a 5 ft. circle. I'm debating on the use of these poles over a semi-rigid tubing to create my "hoops." The poles would create a more rigid structure, but the tubing would be much lighter and easier to pack, as well as usable in other ways (gravity filter?), and also much cheaper. I guess I should experiment with the tubing first, because I have to custom order the poles anyway. I just need to know if they are worth the money to have custom made.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast