Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Elkhart County, Indiana
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Posts
    1,195
    Images
    1
    I loved the last thing you said - the quality goes in before the label goes on.

    I didn't expect the endcap to go on before rolling the long edge, but it makes perfect sense.

    I love to see a professional artist doing his thing.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    north carolina USA
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Posts
    120
    Images
    38

    Use a framing square to mark dart cuts

    Put one leg of a framing square on the end mark of spreader bar and the other leg of the framing square on the end mark of the arc length. Move both legs around until the measurements are equal on both legs - lightly mark. Add for seam allowance by backing up (5/8" for example) and remarking. Then cut on new line.

    My 2 cents.

    Happy Trails

  3. #13
    Senior Member GvilleDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Posts
    528
    Images
    185
    Grizz - what are your thoughts (or others w/ knowledge on subject) on using mule tape for the sides in lieu of the tubular webbing?

  4. #14
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I loved the last thing you said - the quality goes in before the label goes on.

    I didn't expect the endcap to go on before rolling the long edge, but it makes perfect sense.
    Showing my age. That's a line from a commercial for Zenith televisions...a loooonnnnggggg time ago!

    You can bet I did a bunch of hammocks sewing the webbing down first before it dawned on me that it might be better to delay that step.

    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    Put one leg of a framing square on the end mark of spreader bar and the other leg of the framing square on the end mark of the arc length. Move both legs around until the measurements are equal on both legs - lightly mark. Add for seam allowance by backing up (5/8" for example) and remarking. Then cut on new line.

    My 2 cents.

    Happy Trails
    worth every penny! thanks for the thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Grizz - what are your thoughts (or others w/ knowledge on subject) on using mule tape for the sides in lieu of the tubular webbing?
    I made a hammock using mule tape. I think someone else has it now, and since I have no current wrongful death actions against me at the moment, it must have held up.

    Mule tape is really strong in the long direction---where you absolutely have to have it and is the direction the forces transfer on. It is a loose weave across, and when I do bar tacks to create loops at ends it squashes down in a way that more solid webbing does not. Impact of this? I dunno, but I keep using tubular webbing. You'll probably be OK, the stuff can be cheap, although you may need to give a good cleaning first ('cause it sometimes comes sorta greased to ease passage through the conduits it is pulling wire through.)
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  5. #15
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,486
    Images
    62
    Grizz....I will look at my end-cap a whole new way. With respect and dignity.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  6. #16
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Mule tape is really strong in the long direction---where you absolutely have to have it and is the direction the forces transfer on. It is a loose weave across, and when I do bar tacks to create loops at ends it squashes down in a way that more solid webbing does not. Impact of this? I dunno, but I keep using tubular webbing. You'll probably be OK, the stuff can be cheap, although you may need to give a good cleaning first ('cause it sometimes comes sorta greased to ease passage through the conduits it is pulling wire through.)
    I think mine might be your mule tape one. It looks like it is, or at least I thought it looked like mule tape.

    Now that I see you used a different material, I'll have to get some of that. I'm out of mule tape from making tree strap extensions for friends.

    Anyone have a link for the tubing that Grizz uses?

  7. #17
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    I think mine might be your mule tape one. It looks like it is, or at least I thought it looked like mule tape.

    Now that I see you used a different material, I'll have to get some of that. I'm out of mule tape from making tree strap extensions for friends.

    Anyone have a link for the tubing that Grizz uses?
    Could be, you got a loaner that had seen the world, if I remember correctly.
    Here's the stuff I normally use.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  8. #18
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Could be, you got a loaner that had seen the world, if I remember correctly.
    Here's the stuff I normally use.
    Oh yeah, that stuff looks way thinner then what's on my Bridge. On mine you had to use one of those hand stitch devices that I think are used for spot repairing sails. I could probably tow a truck with my Grizz Bridge.

    I'll have to get a shiny new one with bug net from you someday.

  9. #19
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Oh yeah, that stuff looks way thinner then what's on my Bridge. On mine you had to use one of those hand stitch devices that I think are used for spot repairing sails. I could probably tow a truck with my Grizz Bridge.
    oh no, now I remember, that's not muletape. You got the -X model when I was fooling around with using Cuben as strapping. The popping sounds I heard when it was loaded weren't good, so I rolled in more webbing, pretty sure it would be the SailRite stuff. But it made the effective roll pretty fat. And yeah, watch out trucks, this is one hefty suspension.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •