WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Left-side sleeping is all important to me

I've searched and searched on the subject of side-sleeping. I'm a left-side sleeper, and I'm concerned that it doesn't work in a hammock. I think I got myself confused between knee pain and side-sleeping - not sure that they are necessarily related. I like the Warbonnet Black Bird design, but I'm 6'1" and 18 stones. I'm a bit unsure about side sleeping. And this is important to me, as I view the primary reason for hanging is a good nights sleep.

I'd really appreciate some user experience from side sleepers. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I've searched and searched on the subject of side-sleeping. I'm a left-side sleeper, and I'm concerned that it doesn't work in a hammock. I think I got myself confused between knee pain and side-sleeping - not sure that they are necessarily related. I like the Warbonnet Black Bird design, but I'm 6'1" and 18 stones. I'm a bit unsure about side sleeping. And this is important to me, as I view the primary reason for hanging is a good nights sleep.

I'm a few (not many) pounds/stones lighter than you and 1" shorter, but when I sleep on my side in my Blackbird, it's on my left side. Problem is, everyone varies on positions and comfort. You should really try to find someone nearby that will let you climb into a BB and give it a go. It's the only way you'll know for sure.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hey.... lots of folks on here side sleep. I searched for you....here are some threads, including yours!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=3960603

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Do you generally have your legs more straight, or curled up? I've managed to sleep just fine on my side in every hammock I've tried so far, but I generally have my legs puled up in a semi-fetal kind of position. I don't have any experience with the Black Bird. . . the foot box may allow you to sleep on your side with legs straight without any problems, but I'd think that with most other hammocks you'd be able to avoid the pain by using a pillow or a pad for a bit of support.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    6'1", 15.5 stones here. WBBB dbl 1.7 is my hammock. If you live nearby (check out my profile), you can drop by for a test run. I find left side sleeping to be what I do mostly. For me, it is in the slightly curled position. Oregon Hang is June 4-6 at Opal Creek, for more testing opportunities.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I'm much much littler than you but I sleep on my side mostly and usually curled up.

Oddly enough when I'm super comfy I change into a back sleeper so I wake up like that sometimes in my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by salamander42 View Post
    Do you generally have your legs more straight, or curled up? I've managed to sleep just fine on my side in every hammock I've tried so far, but I generally have my legs puled up in a semi-fetal kind of position. I don't have any experience with the Black Bird. . . the foot box may allow you to sleep on your side with legs straight without any problems, but I'd think that with most other hammocks you'd be able to avoid the pain by using a pillow or a pad for a bit of support.
    I sleep with knees slightly bent usually.

This pain you mentioned is what confused me when I searched. It wasn't clear whether people were hyper-extending lying on their backs, or on their sides. As I understand it, the diagonal should be pretty flat.

I'm sure this would all make sense to me if I tried a hammock out.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I sleep with knees slightly bent usually.

This pain you mentioned is what confused me when I searched. It wasn't clear whether people were hyper-extending lying on their backs, or on their sides. As I understand it, the diagonal should be pretty flat.

I'm sure this would all make sense to me if I tried a hammock out.
    You can have problems with the knees sleeping on your back or on your side. . . Either way, the knee can be pulled in a direction that it's not meant to go. A diagonal lay will get you pretty flat, but not necessarily perfectly flat.

As has been said by you and others, the best way to learn is to try it out and see. You can get a decent hammock for 20 bucks or so to start off with, or you can try to make it to a group outing and get a chance to see and try a lot of options before you buy.

Good luck!
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm a left-side sleeper, and I'm concerned that it doesn't work in a hammock. I think I got myself confused between knee pain and side-sleeping - not sure that they are necessarily related.

Well I am a Jack Knife (sometimes Cannon Ball) side sleeper. Primarily right side followed by left with a smidge of back sleeping (actually don't like it for long). Funny thing is in my WBBB and Traveler I sleep on my back with no complaint (I dunno why) and can side sleep in any position too (except stomach). As to the knee thing I found that if my hang angle is right and my feet are elevated 8 to 10 inches (plus foot adjustable webbing longer than head) all is good. YMMV

PNW folk are planning group hangs regularly...maybe attend one and try out some different hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    6'1", 15.5 stones here. WBBB dbl 1.7 is my hammock. If you live nearby (check out my profile), you can drop by for a test run. I find left side sleeping to be what I do mostly. For me, it is in the slightly curled position. Oregon Hang is June 4-6 at Opal Creek, for more testing opportunities.
    I'm in Hillsboro. Thanks for the offer. I might just check out the hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast