Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Well I am a Jack Knife (sometimes Cannon Ball) side sleeper. Primarily right side followed by left with a smidge of back sleeping (actually don't like it for long). Funny thing is in my WBBB and Traveler I sleep on my back with no complaint (I dunno why) and can side sleep in any position too (except stomach). As to the knee thing I found that if my hang angle is right and my feet are elevated 8 to 10 inches (plus foot adjustable webbing longer than head) all is good. YMMV

PNW folk are planning group hangs regularly...maybe attend one and try out some different hammocks.
    ditto to what LD said.. I sleep on my right side in a WBBB in a jack knife position. at time I'll use a shirt to put between my knees or just use part of the quilt.

Yes, feet have to be elevated for me too.

My back has never felt better in yrs since sleeping in a hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'll typically fall asleep on a side (left or right) and wake up on my back. Sometimes sleep with a knee hooked through an elbow or in a nearly fetal position. Any of them is comfortable in the hammock.

I've only read about knee pain - I had some issues with a Hennessy I used to have with a ridge, which sometimes happens in gathered end hammocks, but with the Blackbird it's only happened a few times. Got the knack of a good angle for a hang and that issue hasn't happened since.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm a dedicated side sleeper in bed, but I find sleeping on my side less important in a hammock. I tend to sleep at about a 15 degree list.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    The only problem I have had sleeping on my side or back im my HH is that I wake up stiff from not moving at all while I sleep in the hammock.. Its the only reason I wake up. I dont have this problem at home..

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6ft2 and 275--290lbs and have a BB with the foot box on the right. I sleep on my back and left and right side in the hammock. My only complaint last time out was that I had to get up in the AM to answer natures call.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I am 6'4" 215 and can sleep on my left side with no problems in a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe. I do require a pillow when sleeping on my side though. I just use a stuff sack with my fleece in it.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    6'3" 225#. WBBB Dbl 1.7.

Dedicated side sleeper. I sleep on both sides in my hammock although sleeping on your right side takes more effort getting there and getting out(do to the right footbox config) but I get it done just fine. Not any more twisting that a stupid sleeping bag.

The KEY and what saved me from giving up on a hammock was the pad between the knees. It pivots your hips just right to line up your knees with your feet. I use a Big Agnes pillow and puff it up as desired. I like something thicker than a lot of people on here.

The bigger deal that the pad does for me is line up my back so my hips and spine are in line.

My feet feel funny if I put my feet higher like some people here.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    no brainer....get the Switchback original/full size hammock.

Images
    A bridge hammock is great (for me )- without fail- for side sleeping with legs straight or moderate fetal, right side or left- no difference. I can not do full fetal if that is your thing, although I can just barely if I use a wide pad in the pad pocket, which at the same time increases shoulder room.

Sadly, though I bet most folks are more comfortable in their legs if back sleeping and also will do best on their sides unless they require full fetal- some folks shoulders are not as comfortable in a JRB BMBH when back sleeping, especially those with big broad shoulders. Course, if you ONLY side sleep, maybe that doesn't matter? So you are just going to have to try some different hammocks out. I don't know how much 18 stones is, but you might be too heavy for a JRB BMBH ( 275 lb limit?) If you are a DIY type, you could make your own, as wide and stout as you needed.

I can sleep pretty well on my side in several dif non-bridge hammocks, but mostly they require nearly full fetal and often have to find the exact sweet spot. Also, there is a Hennessy Safari, in which I can sleep on my side with legs straight or full fetal. I think it's limit is 375 lbs. Have fun figuring it out!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarth View Post
    6'3" 225#. WBBB Dbl 1.7.

Dedicated side sleeper. I sleep on both sides in my hammock although sleeping on your right side takes more effort getting there and getting out(do to the right footbox config) but I get it done just fine. Not any more twisting that a stupid sleeping bag.

The KEY and what saved me from giving up on a hammock was the pad between the knees. It pivots your hips just right to line up your knees with your feet. I use a Big Agnes pillow and puff it up as desired. I like something thicker than a lot of people on here.

The bigger deal that the pad does for me is line up my back so my hips and spine are in line.

My feet feel funny if I put my feet higher like some people here.
    I'm struggling to understand how a pad between the knees pivots the hips - is that a pad between the hammock bottom and the knees?
    Thanks for the advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast