Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Posts
    5

    Bottom insulation for SOBO thru

    I've been lurking on HF for a while and i recently pulled the trigger on a WBBB dl 1.0, to be used for a SOBO AT thru (yay!).

    Totally love the hammock but i'm having bottom insulation angst. I want the option to go to ground or use shelters etc. so initially i was going to use a gossamer gear ThinLight.

    Reconsidering since so many of ya'll swear by the UQs... For a thru it seems there would be a small weight penalty, a large jump in comfort and packability, but a decrease in versatility. Also, if that thing gets wet, i'm toast!

    Wondering who's done an AT thru with a hammock, what setup they used, and what weight UQ (e.g. summer vs. 3S) would be most appropriate, how you would have done it differently, etc.

    Leaning towards a TeWa at the moment but still not divorced from the pad idea. Any input welcome!

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Posts
    789
    I have never hiked the AT but if I were you I would carry a summer UQ and a torso pad of some sort just in case you have to G2G. CCF is fine but it's bulky. Reflectix packs up quite small (have to get a little creative sometimes) and it's almost as light. I wouldn't wanna be stuck on the trail without a backup plan of some sort for your my system.

  3. #3
    lattie11581's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    long island, ny
    Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    Reconsidering since so many of ya'll swear by the UQs... For a thru it seems there would be a small weight penalty, a large jump in comfort and packability, but a decrease in versatility. Also, if that thing gets wet, i'm toast!
    I never hiked the AT but most of my outdoors comes in the ADKs by canoe.

    I made a 3/4 UQ out of 6oz climashield. (one layer only) it wieghs in at 1lb, 6 oz. I've had it out in the driveway at around 45 degrees. I have been wet in syn bags before and stayed warm. I tried a pad in my HH and it is a pain trying to get into that bottom entry and then on the pad. I also sweat so much that my bag was SOAKED. I also cut 5/8" holes in my pad to combat the condensation, i was still warm but also still wet in the morning. The low temps in the ADKs in Oct were in the 30's. Food for thought.
    Jason

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Posts
    435
    Images
    17
    I was a ground dweller when I thru-hiked the AT, but I've done longish hikes (7-15 days) with a set up that could work.

    Buy yourself a 3-season phoenix from Hammockgear.com or a Yeti from Warbonnet. Great 2/3 length underquilts that are both warm and comfortable.

    Then for the footbox, get a Gossamer Gear Nighlight Pad. I got the 3/4 length (60" long) and trimmed it down to about 48". It goes into the WB sleeve at the feet, and I fold it in half there. But if I need to go to ground, it makes for a tolerable night's rest. I did this last summer when I stayed at a campground on the Benton MacKaye Trail.


    It would make for a decent bail option to sleep in a shelter in really bad weather (which is about the only reason I would sleep in a shelter any more). For your feet, just place your empty pack under them.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Buy yourself a 3-season phoenix from Hammockgear.com or a Yeti from Warbonnet. Great 2/3 length underquilts that are both warm and comfortable.

    Then for the footbox, get a Gossamer Gear Nighlight Pad. I got the 3/4 length (60" long) and trimmed it down to about 48". It goes into the WB sleeve at the feet, and I fold it in half there. But if I need to go to ground, it makes for a tolerable night's rest. I did this last summer when I stayed at a campground on the Benton MacKaye Trail.

    It would make for a decent bail option to sleep in a shelter in really bad weather (which is about the only reason I would sleep in a shelter any more). For your feet, just place your empty pack under them.
    Nicey! Thanks Bearpaw! That's exactly what i was thinking. Not the ultra lightest option but probably "safer". Recommend a 3 season rather than, say, a summer weight UQ with 1oz overfill?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I have never hiked the AT but if I were you I would carry a summer UQ and a torso pad of some sort just in case you have to G2G. CCF is fine but it's bulky. Reflectix packs up quite small (have to get a little creative sometimes) and it's almost as light. I wouldn't wanna be stuck on the trail without a backup plan of some sort for your my system.
    Good call. I'm all about a backup system!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Posts
    435
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    Nicey! Thanks Bearpaw! That's exactly what i was thinking. Not the ultra lightest option but probably "safer". Recommend a 3 season rather than, say, a summer weight UQ with 1oz overfill?
    It gets below freezing pretty easily in the southern Appalachian Highlands by November. I'd go with a three season underquilt. You'll also appreciate it in the higher elevations in Maine and definitely in the Whites. Just my thoughts.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    HF Member "Coffee" is one of those weird southboundwards types.

    He did his southbound thru with a hammocks...mostly. He finished late and saw some pretty harsh stuff at the end. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in. If not, I bet he'd answer a PM about a southbound thru. He's pretty proud of it.
    Trust nobody!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •