Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    First off, welcome to the forum! Hammock camping really is a great activity, use this forum to work through the initial learning curve, and you'll be thrilled with your refreshed outdoor experience!

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    <snip>
    My objective is to go as light as possible.

1) I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs.
    <snip>

4) I'll gladly trade money for weight reduction.
    <snip>
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Okay, I'm not the health police, but I will point out something that is commonly overlooked by backpackers. My apologies in advance if you don't like what I'm going to say.

Many backpackers are fit, but carry extra pounds under their skin. Current health charts point to a max ideal body weight for someone 5'11" as about 180 lbs. If you dropped even 15 lbs, you wouldn't have to trade ANY money for weight reduction, you'd lighten your carry weight, take load off your knees 24x7, and likely feel a boost in energy. Many advantages, no disadvantages.....

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum! Hammock camping really is a great activity, use this forum to work through the initial learning curve, and you'll be thrilled with your refreshed outdoor experience!

Okay, I'm not the health police, but I will point out something that is commonly overlooked by backpackers. My apologies in advance if you don't like what I'm going to say.

Many backpackers are fit, but carry extra pounds under their skin. Current health charts point to a max ideal body weight for someone 5'11" as about 180 lbs. If you dropped even 15 lbs, you wouldn't have to trade ANY money for weight reduction, you'd lighten your carry weight, take load off your knees 24x7, and likely feel a boost in energy. Many advantages, no disadvantages.....
    While I agree with you, I don't think the best way to greet someone to new forums is to call them overweight :S

Many people don't realize it, it's true, they work and work to shave 5 ounces off their packweight but don't realize they are carrying a 20 pound "pack" around with them all day every day.

Other than that, I'll give you the balls award. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling people that.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I am taking a short trip this weekend in the Adirondacks if you want to check out a couple hammocks

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&amp;Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have a HH and a CJH with a WBBB on the way.

I backpack very little nowadays, but my main take-away from switching to hammocks from tents with Thermarests and Big Agnes Iic Core pads is COMFORT!

It is sooo invigorating to wake up in the morn, stand up, and have no sore shoulders or hips from sleeping on uneven ground.

I too am a side-sleeper. Easy in my HH Explorer DLX, not quite so easy in my CJH NX-250 (but not needed as it has a comfortable "half-side" lay, and I expect a side-lie will be comfy in the WB. One thing to be aware of: The CJH NX series with hoops at the ends allows side-sleeping, but other, lighter models may not. YMMV.

And welcome to the Forum!

Jim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    If you are a side sleeper, look into bridge style hammocks. These are preferred to those who sleep on their side (some, anyway), as the lay is flatter. But, YMMV. Me, I am a side & belly sleeper-but have no issues in a standard hammock, if its hung correctly.
    As to weight issues-you will not get any lighter than a silnylon tarp & a CCF pad. A hammock will likely weigh more than almost any ultralight tent. However, get the weight thing out of your mind. Sleep, to help the body recover properly, is important. And, comfort is important for sleep. A comfortable night's sleep, in a downpour, knowing you will not get wet, and that there are no rocks/roots/holes under you, does a LOT for a good nights rest. I gladly sacrifice the weight penalty of a pound, for the comfort of sleeping, and waking, pain free.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 &amp; yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&amp; dutch clip
    Images
    Wow ... way to insult the new member!

That will keep him posting ......

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

^ That's what I was thinking. I'm 6', and bounce between 150-200, depending on the season, time of day, and what I ate yesterday. IMO "ideal max body weight" charts aren't worth the paper they're written on. If his chest is twice as thick as mine, I'd think it would be less safe/healthy to come down to 180, than to stay where he is... Unless you're in a position to be running an Ironman tomorrow, I don't think you're in any poisition to be commenting on someone's health/weight without ever meeting them... Even if you are, you're still not.

OP: At my height, I'm more than comfy in my Hennessy Expedition Asym. I'd recommend what others have and shop around either way. Or get into DIY gear. I've only got a little bit of time into camping with my hammock and I can say after even the first use, I want to make my suspension more efficient. For me, this is going to involve some Dutch clips, or 'bieners and some whoopie slings, with my stock tree huggers, and will likely evolve from there. It seems to me that most of the hammock manufacturers tend to just give you something to get started, everyone around here wants their gear a different way, for different reasons, and for different occasions. Customization to suit your application seems to be one of the biggest features of hammock camping that appeals to me.

I tend to flop around like a dead fish in the morning, and I've successfully slept on my back, side, stomach, and about a dozen sleeping positions that were very comfortable and only possible in a hammock, so positional sleeping isn't an issue. Also, I've had my hammock out to about 28F with a 30F rated sleeping bag, and no bottom insulation besides my sleeping bag, I'm a hot sleeper but I wasn't uncomfortable. A CCF pad, or a summer rated underquilt would've been the perfect solution to the minor cold I was feeling. (Trip report forthcoming)

Lurk around a bit, check out Shug's videos, and see what you can find. I spent about a month on here doing a TON of research before I bought, and I think I made a good investment for myself, as well as having some foreknowledge of where I wanted to head with my rig once I got it. So far I haven't been disappointed yet.

Good luck, and welcome!
    Last edited by DJPyro; 05-02-2011 at 13:11. Reason: Added stuff.

I think that is a fair observation. My reply would be that a reduction in a person's overall weight manifests differently than reducing weight in a specific area. For example, let's take the case of losing 15 pounds. I happen to have a bad back. Losing 15 pounds of body weight (which I am in the process of doing) would not be as beneficial to my back as would losing 15 lbs from the weight of my pack and its contents. My objective is to do both.

The weight of my pack, and its contents, is key for me. As I have lightened the weight on hikes I've noticed a wonderful difference in my back at day's end. I've swapped out a 6+lb McHale pack for a ZPacks Blast 26 that weighs 7.4oz (wish it was around many years ago).

My initial plans were to get rid of my TNF Tadpole (at 4.4 lbs) for a 16oz cuben tent, buy a 19 oz Neoair pad and be all set. A total of 35oz and I would be completely waterproof.

Then I read how so many people were trumpeting the comfort of hammocking.

~50oz for a hammock, tarp and UQ is my upper limit. I'd prefer to be a fair bit lower. I mentioned the rain because, in the Adirondacks, you must have netting and be prepared for rain.

Excellent ideas from everyone.
    Last edited by wiiawiwb; 05-02-2011 at 16:05.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    You can't beat a hammock if you have a bad back. Had I only known 10 years ago, I would have saved myself 2000 on a bed and God only knows how much on chiropractors...
    Having discovered hammock camping, and sleeping 10-12 hours non stop, I now sleep in a hammock at home as well. My lower back AND my upper back thank me every day! I'm a side sleeper and have no problem in my Hennessy Asym or in my Eno Double. The only change I made with the HH was to get a bigger tarp. Good luck and happy hangin'!!
    Debi

50oz shouldn't be impossible if you're willing to spend the money on things like a cuben tarp, etc. Which it sounds like you are...

Like others have mentioned, look into what some of the ultralight guys are doing.... I know I could shed probably 3 or 4oz just in my suspension, and another couple in my tarp. If you're going with a cuben tarp and weight is a concern, you can get something a lot smaller that'll still cover you well, and will weigh in at a lot less than a pound. Unless it's raining sideways, I'd be confident in staying dry with just my little asym tarp that only just covers my hammock. Set up is a big factor there, and I can pitch a mean tarp....

I've got a friend with a pinched cyatic, so I know what you're saying about shaving weight off your back before you can shave any off your front... A light pack will definitely keep you out longer.

I don't know that I'll ever be a true gram weenie, but I can appreciate the value in shaving weight off your pack, so it's something I've spent some time researching. There's a TON of info on here, and if you're crafty at all, you might find that DIY is going to be your best option for getting a truly custom, ultra light weight setup...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast