Images

Post Bring back the Climashiled "Yeti"!

Hey there, I was posting on the "Yeti cord in the face" thread when I realized I was Hijacking. So, here is the hijack and the post I was responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    They are no longer adjustable. I don't think they have been since he started offering the down versions instead of the synthetic. I like my adjustable Yeti too! You could always make it adjustable. Just need some shockcord and a STRONG cord lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I did not know that! ( channeling Johnny Carson ) And here I am always telling folks to adjust their Yeti's tighter!

Of course, like you say, it should be a simple enough mod. Or, just using some cord find a way to stretch it/attache it further towards the end of the hammock on one end.

PS: I still think that Climashield Yeti is the absolute BOMB! A ~ 9.5 oz torso UQ(one layer of 2.5 oz. XP Climashield)- virtually impervious to dampness problems- that has been good for me- if mem serves- into the high 40s! My son used it for a week- into the 20s plus lots of wind and rain- with 2 added layers of what I think is 3.8 oz/sq.yd. Combat CS, for a total weight of ~ 17 oz. He was toasty the entire trip. ( total theoretical CLO= 7.9)

I have never really put this to the winter test. Isn't there a theoretical rating by some that says that a CLO of 4 ( like a 5 oz layer of XP clo 4.1) is warm to ~ 20F, at least for a top quilt/bag? If so, with one layer of 2.5 oz. XP, and a CLO of ~ 2( 2.5 oz x CLO .82/oz), I think Thru hiker used to rate that for ~ 40, similar to my own results so far. But if so, then adding my extra 3 layers of Climashield ( which I THINK is Combat 3.8 oz/sq.yd) with a CLO of only .78/oz) will get me a CLO of 2.96 per layer, times 3 for total CLO of 8.9 plus the starting single layer CLO=2, total CLO 10.9.

Just how warm would that be? If Thru Hiker is at all in the ball park rating a CLO of 2 ~ 40F and 4 at ~20F, what would be expected with a Clo of 10.9? I bet all of this "precise CLO" business is just theory, but still maybe good for ballpark guessing. Still, there is a huge dif between ~4 and ~ 11. I guess no wonder my son was toasty in the 20s with just 3 layers.

Sorry, I started rambling! Is this a Hijack? If so, I will move it or a mod can go ahead and do so. I guess I just am surprised no one is still making an adjustable layer CS "Yeti", plus they were adjustable!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 11:25.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Images
    I did find this post, which going by some testing which included men and women, came up with a CLO of 4 averaging warmth of only 25F instead of 20, and a CLO of 9( EDIT: error corrected CLO of 6 for zero per SINTEF test and 25-30 for CLO 4) needed for zero, FWIW:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=395813

Also notice a CLO of 2 appears to be good for mid 40s to 50, similar to my experience so far with 1 layer of 2.5 oz/sq.yd Climashield XP, Clo of ~ 2.

I also saw this:
    http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/prodigy.htm

and this:
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=133
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 11:47.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't pretend to understand the math, but I know I took my synthetic Yeti down to -11f. It was my first trip below zero and I was more than slightly nervous. No tarp, no pad under me, just a ccf folded under my legs and my clothing. Clothing was heavyweight base bottoms, very heavy wool socks, heavyweight base top, and a fleece pullover. I was still very much a noob.

Here's a picture from the next morning. I'm still snoring in the hammock.

Mine has 4 layers that are removable via a zipper on the foot/butt end of the quilt. I agree that these have a place in the gear room. There are simply times that synthetic trumps down and it's great to have the option. They weren't too bad on the scales either. If I remember correctly, mine is 17oz in the stuff sack. Stuff sacks weren't so good for these things, so I would say redesign those and it would be a great product to have available.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My favorite thing with the Yeti is no adjustments to mess with. I always get a great fit and seal.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't pretend to understand the math, but I know I took my synthetic Yeti down to -11f. It was my first trip below zero and I was more than slightly nervous. No tarp, no pad under me, just a ccf folded under my legs and my clothing. Clothing was heavyweight base bottoms, very heavy wool socks, heavyweight base top, and a fleece pullover. I was still very much a noob.

Here's a picture from the next morning. I'm still snoring in the hammock.

Mine has 4 layers that are removable via a zipper on the foot/butt end of the quilt. I agree that these have a place in the gear room. There are simply times that synthetic trumps down and it's great to have the option. They weren't too bad on the scales either. If I remember correctly, mine is 17oz in the stuff sack. Stuff sacks weren't so good for these things, so I would say redesign those and it would be a great product to have available.
    Oh I well remember when you did that! you were the one that got me into WB torso quilts to start with, due to this test!

But here is the thing: Yours was the original, which was 4 layers of 2.5 oz. XP. For at .82 clo/oz x 2.5 x 4= 8.2 total CLO! And you wre apparently comfy enough at MINUS 11!

YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A TARP IN A SNOWSTORM!

Your results may correlate well with the SINTEF chart I linked to, which showed zero possible with a CLO of 6.

But WBG was out of 2.5 oz XP when I got mine, except in the one permanent layer. So I got Combat for the other 3 layers, which had less CLO per oz. ( .78 vs .82 for XP) BUT was heavier per layer, at ~ 3.8 oz. vs 2.5. Hence the total CLO of ~11 for all 4 layers. I'm sure mine might have lost some insulation/loft over the years, but I still find even 2 or 3 layers VERY warm!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 14:30.