Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    41
    Images
    6

    So many questions, so little time...

    There is so much information to be found here that it can be a bit daunting to wade through it all to find what you are looking for. After looking at hundreds of photos and reading a similar number of posts in the form of search results I've decided the quickest way to get the info I need is to just ask for it. So, I hope you will forgive me if (when) I ask a question that has been asked before.

    First question:

    How long should the structural ridgeline be for a Skeeter Beeter Pro and a Skeeter Beeter Ultralight and what should it be made from? (I have 1/8th amsteel and more paracord than you could shake a stick at.)

    EDIT: Addendum and clarification.

    I know about the issue of the ridgeline with the bug netting and have come up with what I think is a pretty good solution. It involves four lengths of amsteel with an eye on each end, some nacrobiners, some innertube or other thin rubber, and some gorilla glue. This would result in a a subtraction of 10 inches of ridgeline from each end of the hammock, or a 20 inch total reduction in ridgeline length. Unfortunately, I still don't know how long this should be or what it should be made from. I'm planning to write it up and share it (with pictures) in the proper area. That said, the ridgeline needs to be adjustable and removable (since both hammocks are reversible.)


    Second question:

    In the illustration found HERE it is said that you should keep the hammock chair height at 12-18" off the ground. Is this where the bottom should be when the hammock is empty or when you are in it?

    Third question:

    I have decided that my only real option for a tarp right now is just a standard square blue or brown tarp that you can pick up in any department store. All others are just far too expensive and my wife has threatened to kill me if I spend any more money on this project. I want to be able to set the tarp up in diamond and/or A-frame with a porch configurations depending on the weather. Will this be possible with this kind of tarp and if so, what size should I get for each of the above hammocks?


    Fourth question: (only applies to those that live in the SW Washington/NW Oregon area)

    I just can't get the trees in and around my yard areas to cooperate. So, I haven't even gotten in my hammock yet. Would someone in the Vancouver/portland area be willing to meet up somewhere with cooperative trees and help me (a total noob ) and my son get our setups... setup?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this. You guys rock!
    Last edited by mikewithe; 05-07-2011 at 16:36.

  2. #2
    Boothill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    WARBONNET BMJ/DOOR
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS & BUCKLES
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewithe View Post

    Second question:

    In the illustration found HERE it is said that you should keep the hammock chair height at 12-18" off the ground. Is this where the bottom should be when the hammock is empty or when you are in it?
    i want mine at chair height when i'm in it


    Quote Originally Posted by mikewithe View Post
    Third question:

    I have decided that my only real option for a tarp right now is just a standard square blue or brown tarp that you can pick up in any department store. All others are just far too expensive and my wife has threatened to kill me if I spend any more money on this project. I want to be able to set the tarp up in diamond and/or A-frame with a porch configurations depending on the weather. Will this be possible with this kind of tarp and if so, what size should I get for each of the above hammocks?
    this is about the same price as blue tarp and will work for what you want to do

    http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267


    boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

    3rd Annual Black Hills Hang planning thread, August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 2014

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88341

    PitaPata Dog tickers

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    41
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i want mine at chair height when i'm in it
    Thank you for that info!

    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    this is about the same price as blue tarp and will work for what you want to do
    LINK
    Thanks, that would have been great, (Though "she who must be obeyed" probably wouldn't have let me buy it anyway) but its no longer available.
    Last edited by mikewithe; 05-07-2011 at 16:38.

  4. #4
    Boothill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    WARBONNET BMJ/DOOR
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS & BUCKLES
    Posts
    1,180
    oops, sorry didn't scroll down to see if it was available or not, my bad

    boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

    3rd Annual Black Hills Hang planning thread, August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 2014

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88341

    PitaPata Dog tickers

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •