Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Would someone mind taking a look at my setup?

So I finally managed to get my SB Pro set up and I found some info re: ridgelines and was trying to get everything just right as is noted in the "hammock camping basics" illustration.

Here is what I came up with.

(I posted these to imageshack because they are really big and album here wouldn't let me upload them)

This image shows my full setup with all measurements.

I am a short guy (5' 4") and I really strained to get the straps as high as I could but I still couldn't get a 30 degree angle unless the hammock was touching the ground. What am I doing wrong here?

This image shows my height from the ground while in the hammock with the above setup.

With the 110" ridgeline (it started out as 104" which is 83% of the SB Pro's length but the paracord stretched like crazy) I was able to lay pretty dang flat even without the 30 degree angle. But I am very concerned about being so low to the ground. Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking a look!

PS

Here's a nice shot of the view from within. Pretty comfy!

Last edited by mikewithe; 05-08-2011 at 02:07. Reason: uploaded another photo

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Only two things come to mind to get you higher off the ground: reduce the overall span or what I do when I need to get the straps higher. I use biner or dutch clips which make this a bit easier, what I do is run it around back of the tree then holding one end in each hand sling it up as high as possible on the back side of the tree then attach the clip and pull tight. Might be a bit tricky on those trees of yours as they don't have any bark to help keep the strap in place. And remember 30* is more of a guideline, as long as you're comfy and your ridgeline isn't super tight you'll be just fine.

Images
    What do you mean by "reduce the overall span?"

Do you mean use trees closer together, lengthen straps, etc?

Also, you mentioned the ridgeline tightness... The ridgeline in the above setup is as tight as a guitar string. I couldn't budge it. I watched a video about ridgelines that said they should be slack enough to bend almost vertical. I know I'm doing something wrong but I just can't figure out what it is.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Yeah that first one! Using trees closer together allows you to get higher off the ground, all other things being equal.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    To get the ridgeline to the right tension try the above and you should be able to get the hammock up off the ground without pulling it too tight. Then you can use the ridgeline as a guide for how tight to pull the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    To get the ridgeline to the right tension try the above and you should be able to get the hammock up off the ground without pulling it too tight. Then you can use the ridgeline as a guide for how tight to pull the hammock.

Thanks I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The first thing that will help is to get some cordage that does not stretch for you ridgeline. It will help with consistency. For the distance of 198", your attachment points need to be around 7 to 7.5 feet high. I'm short too so I have in the past used my hiking poles to sort push up the webbing up the trees.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good set up! You could switch to a tarp instead of the pavilion and loose the benches. You can sit right in the hammock. I'd most likely leave the stone patio at home as well. That has to weigh a ton!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Good set up! You could switch to a tarp instead of the pavilion and loose the benches. You can sit right in the hammock. I'd most likely leave the stone patio at home as well. That has to weigh a ton!
    I'd keep the patio. You could pull the hammock taught and play volleyball! Multi-use items are a must ya' know!!

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    A structural ridgeline will give you some leeway when setting up, it means even if the angles aren't perfect you'll still have the right sag in the hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast