Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    41
    Images
    6

    Rule-of-Thumb for strap height?

    In a different thread I showed my setup between two poles that were 16.5' (198") apart.

    Bubba said that for that distance the straps should be 7-7.5' high. As it turns out, a strap height of 7'3" (87") would have - with all the other measurements remaining the same - according to my math - given me the ~30* angle that I was looking for on my straps. This works out to:

    (16.5/2) - 1 = 7.25

    Is this relationship constant, i.e., can this equation (where S = span and H = height of strap placement):

    (S/2) - 1 = H

    be used to determine optimum strap height for a given span? If so, is the 1 value constant or is it a variable, e.g., strap length from tree to whoopie connection point, etc.?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Posts
    789
    I think you are over thinking it, just hang it and lay in it. If it's not right, adjust it. 30 degrees is just a guideline, it doesn't have to perfect to be comfortable. We will be having our 1st Annual Oregon Hang June 4th, 5th and 6th. I think you should come and check out what we all use and how we set up our gear. It would be the best learning experience you could possibly have for hammocking. The thread is in the Hangouts/Trip Planning forum.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    41
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I think you are over thinking it, just hang it and lay in it. If it's not right, adjust it. 30 degrees is just a guideline, it doesn't have to perfect to be comfortable. We will be having our 1st Annual Oregon Hang June 4th, 5th and 6th. I think you should come and check out what we all use and how we set up our gear. It would be the best learning experience you could possibly have for hammocking. The thread is in the Hangouts/Trip Planning forum.
    Yeah I know, I tend to do that. It comes from being a teacher I guess. I have this overwhelming need to understand relationships etc. And I'm an OC personality so that doesn't help either .

    Anyway, you say, "just hang it and lay in it. If it's not right adjust it. But I say why not do it right the first time and lay back and watch all the other people futzing with theirs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tendertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Posts
    1,352
    http://www.dejoha.com/projects/hammo...alculator.html

    Put your distances in and watch the magic.

    In the field - I walk out the paces from tree to tree. Five to six paces between trees is 15 feet for me. I'm about 6 feet tall so I put my straps roughly eye level. If I take more steps - my trees are further apart and I move my straps higher. If i take less steps - my trees are closer together and I move my straps lower.

    Practice at a park.

  5. #5
    Randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Waverly,Texas
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout & DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    GI Extreme SB
    Posts
    1,182
    Crap... now I gotta get a protractor, a calculator, I hope I have room....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    41
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    http://www.dejoha.com/projects/hammo...alculator.html

    Put your distances in and watch the magic.

    In the field - I walk out the paces from tree to tree. Five to six paces between trees is 15 feet for me. I'm about 6 feet tall so I put my straps roughly eye level. If I take more steps - my trees are further apart and I move my straps higher. If i take less steps - my trees are closer together and I move my straps lower.

    Practice at a park.

    Thanks for that link! Saves me having to create a spreadsheet, etc. I also just did a search in the android market place and what do you know? There is an ap called "Hammock tools." Guess what it does...

    Seriously though, thanks for all the help guys. I know I'm weird but I don't have it in me to just "try it and adjust." I NEED precision. It is compulsive for me.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Crap... now I gotta get a protractor, a calculator, I hope I have room....
    Don't forget to include a level or plumb bob to insure accuracy from the protractor.

  8. #8
    Senior Member G.L.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schuylkill Co. PA
    Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    5,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Crap... now I gotta get a protractor, a calculator, I hope I have room....
    pack the drafting table too....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

  9. #9
    Senior Member G.L.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schuylkill Co. PA
    Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    5,107
    i think you are Really overthinking this.... just eye it up... lay in it.. if it feels right they your good..don't worry about the height of your straps or the sag in your RL and all that other stuff .... once you start doing that your going to drive yourself nuts....

    just hang it...lay in it... and if it feels good let it be
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

  10. #10
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    If you're using ENO Slapstraps, you will need to hang higher, to allow for the large amount of strap stretch.

    What type of strap material are you using? It might factor in.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •