TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You need lots of tarps. Just like the rest of us. One for every occasion and in all colors and camo. You need camo. We all need camo. More camo!

Sorry, I'm addicted to gear. I have too much.

Honestly, I want to get the camo Superfly and sell off all my others.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    I'm in California and IMHO I'd say pass on the doors.....

I used to have an OES Winter Tarp w/doors but found that not once did I use the doors in my hiking environments (SB, Central Coast, Yosemite, Sequoias).... I always pinned them back leading me to wonder, why I really needed them. I ended up selling it to a forum member in Canada where I'm sure a fully enclosed tarp makes more sense.

When pitched at a steep angle, you'd be surprised at how well a Maccat Delux or WB BMJ cover 99% or your needs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Get the doors.
    I've been in a couple of horrendous thunderstorms in my MacCat Deluxe or MacCat Ultra. Although I didn't get wet, I laid awake at night worrying.
    The peace of mind alone is worth it. Also, as Shug mentioned above, it will stop the wind. I've been in mine and was perfectly comfortable. Along comes a wind and just suck the heat right out of the hammock.
    I had ZQ add dors to my Ultra and have not regretted it.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    ENO DBL, WBBB, DIY
    Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I have heard want I needed to hear... I think I will invest in a cuben tarp with doors and be done with it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Just to toss in a different view...

Tarps with doors are relatively new to hammocking, and they were developed for deep winter use. They are absolutely not needed for 3 season hanging, even in the fiercest of storms. If you have a 'non-door' tarp and spend some effort learning how to pitch it properly and use good site selection techniques, doors aren't needed.

Many many folks on this site hammock camped year round in every conceivable condition before tarp doors were common, and we all did so comfortably.

I say try a hex tarp without doors, learn to pitch it well, and use it a lot. If you start doing deep-cold winter hammocking, then it will make sense to add a door kit/mod or another tarp with doors.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It is nice to be able to close an end off in a bad wind. Better than moving locale.
    Even on just one end is good.
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I know I don't worry with my sewn on doors how I orient my tarp to the wind. I am covered on all sides and therefore can find the trees I like and the view I want. Doors allow for a shorter ridgeline length tarp and yet provides better coverage than a longer ridgeline length without doors. Sure, you carry them with you, but for me I hike and camp in any weather, so they make sense for me.
    YES YES and ... did I say yes? YES ...

Like the view like to pick my spot based on the best possible location for the situation ... but mostly for what makes the experience. View ... breeze ... stealth ... whatever. So if the wind kicks up or or changes or ya just want to knock a breeze from one end of the hammock ... doors either attached or like the great Grizz Beak design ... are mighty handy to have.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If you start doing deep-cold winter hammocking, then it will make sense to add a door kit or another tarp with doors.
    I would have to disagree with you about doors only making sense for deep cold winter use. I have been through some wild rain and wind that without the doors would have left me soaked for sure. Further, how many times have you set up properly against the wind and it turns on you? I'm covered with my doors. I'm happy that I've lowered my packweight 30 lbs. since BSA days, and will never be an ultralighter, so I'll carry an additional 6-7 ozs for the peace of mind...or should I say sleep. I'll cut weight in other areas, but my tarp is my castle.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If you have a 'non-door' tarp and spend some effort learning how to pitch it properly and use good site selection techniques, doors aren't needed.
    It all depends on your situation. If your hike takes you into the night and visibility is low, the temps are dropping and you need to find a spot to set up quick, having doors might not be needed, but if the OP is considering zpacks anyway - it's less than 2 oz to add all the doors - they're convenient and offer peace of mind.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I have been through some wild rain and wind that without the doors would have left me soaked for sure.

...how many times have you set up properly against the wind and it turns on you?
    Same here, on many occasions. Interestingly, I have always managed to stay dry without doors by just changing the pitch of the tarp to be lower/steeper.

...my tarp is my castle.
    That's great, I like my tarps with doors too. I just don't think they're needed for 3 season use.

BTW, I didn't actually say they don't make sense...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I saw animalcontrol's DIY cuben tarp with doors at Hoosier Hang. It looked awesome.

The rationale is that for the extra ounce or two (that may even be high balling it) for the peace of mind is priceless.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast