Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Senior Member hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    684
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Got a pic of that??

    I slept in it last night and even with the extra knots it slipped about 8"
    Only a close-up of the provisional solution.



    The ring is part of the whoopie set-up, but I had a couple of places where the trees were so close together that the whoopies wouldn't have allowed me to set up my hammock - so I simply used the triglides this way (the whoopie sling hangs unused from the ring - the webbing bypasses it completely).

    You can use the webbing directly on the rope that is attached to the hammock (where the triangles are attached) - but this means that the webbing will be stressed more than with the ring. I'm planning to order a couple of rings from Whoopieslings.com to use with the triglides and webbing - that's a much cleaner and nicer solution. Ring and triglides together don't weigh more than the original triangles, I believe.

    I'm also planning to get rid of the webbing loop by attaching a short piece of webbing to the ring and the middle part of the triglide permanently, and then slide the suspension through the triglide. This way the triglide stays in one place, and from what I could see in tests, it whould be even easier to fine-tune. But that remains to be proven. The current solution is a bit more flexible and - similar to the Warbonnet original suspension - allows to set up in very tight spaces (which is not the case with whoopies...).

    Hope that helps.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Danalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Hammock
    2011 Chrysalis
    Tarp
    BlackCat dbl poles
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY web and cinch
    Posts
    514
    Good looking setup!

    I had the Woopies on the hammock and removed them for ther same reason, can't adjust very close to trees. My hammock doesn't need to have a 30* hang angle so it can be strung up tight as I can get it. Opens more possibilities for hanging.
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles"
    Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #13
    dynalex, those welded triangle rings you have are a few years old. they shouldn't slip if the half hitch behind them is tied right. this is the same for suspensions using 2 descending rings in the same manner.

    the current buckles do have more bight (thus no knot needed), but when used correctly they should be easily adjustable regardless of the hammock having a little weight in it. there is more of a learning curve to using them, but when used properly the webbing should move freely in both directions without resistence.

  4. #14
    Senior Member hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    684
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the current buckles do have more bight (thus no knot needed), but when used correctly they should be easily adjustable regardless of the hammock having a little weight in it. there is more of a learning curve to using them, but when used properly the webbing should move freely in both directions without resistence.
    Interesting, maybe I've been doing it wrong. I have always had the problem, even if I took the weight off the webbing and buckles by pulling the hammock up by the gathered end with one hand, the buckles wouldn't move one bit to allow me to pull the webbing with the other hand. I always had to push the buckles apart by hand - which basically meant that as soon as I had my sleeping gear in the hammock, I would have needed 3 hands. Even with the hammock unloaded I had to push the triangles apart by hand, if there had been any weight on them previously (after testing the hang, e.g.). I always thought that's the way things are and never tried to play around.

    So what's the secret? Is there a specific angle to pull the webbing? Is there an instructional video somewhere?

    Thanks

  5. #15
    all my hammocks are supposed to come with directions on how to use the buckles.

    basically you take the weight off the buckles with one hand, and with the same hand you spread them apart about a 1/2" and tilt the backwards (so they point toward ground and sky rather than pointing toward hammock and tree). it sounds more complicated than it is and really just takes getting used to getting them to "release", but you should be able to do all 3 things with 2 hands. once you have it figured out it's pretty easy to do

  6. #16
    Senior Member Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,284
    You left off a step for dummies like me Brandon.

    First spit out your gum.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

    Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

  7. #17
    Senior Member hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    684
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    all my hammocks are supposed to come with directions on how to use the buckles.

    basically you take the weight off the buckles with one hand, and with the same hand you spread them apart about a 1/2" and tilt the backwards (so they point toward ground and sky rather than pointing toward hammock and tree). it sounds more complicated than it is and really just takes getting used to getting them to "release", but you should be able to do all 3 things with 2 hands. once you have it figured out it's pretty easy to do
    Hm, I can't remember an instruction sheet; I'll have another look when I get a chance. I'll try your technique - I think I never did the tilting thing. Maybe it makes all the difference. Still like the triglides, though

  8. #18
    Senior Member hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    684
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    My hammock doesn't need to have a 30* hang angle so it can be strung up tight as I can get it. Opens more possibilities for hanging.
    How so? Won't this alter the sag? You're using a Blackbird, right?

    Getting the angle right has often given me headaches, if the trees have been so far apart that I had to climb 4m high to hang the hammock...

  9. #19
    Senior Member Danalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Hammock
    2011 Chrysalis
    Tarp
    BlackCat dbl poles
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY web and cinch
    Posts
    514
    I needed to go to a bridge hammock as I've got bad hips and joints and need to sleep on both sides and toss back and forth a lot or get really stiff. The BB was super comfy on my back and one side but I couldn't master the both side thing.

    The Chrysalis has a strap as a ridgeline and the suspension is hung from it so just pull it tight and it all lines up. Heavy for backpackers though.
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles"
    Hunter S. Thompson

  10. #20
    Senior Member Danalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Hammock
    2011 Chrysalis
    Tarp
    BlackCat dbl poles
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY web and cinch
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    dynalex, those welded triangle rings you have are a few years old. they shouldn't slip if the half hitch behind them is tied right. this is the same for suspensions using 2 descending rings in the same manner.

    the current buckles do have more bight (thus no knot needed), but when used correctly they should be easily adjustable regardless of the hammock having a little weight in it. there is more of a learning curve to using them, but when used properly the webbing should move freely in both directions without resistence.
    I guess I'm not tying the knot properly. I'm trying to think of something small to clamp on the strap to stop the slip.

    Maybe I need those new triangles ... are they available for sale??
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •